It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Microsoft and Google vs Apple

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 10:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: EvidenceNibbler

originally posted by: abago71
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin
My Mac has been acting similar recently. I wonder if this isn't a variant of the technique used to slow down iPhones?

Wouldn't put it past them.

I do suggest switching to Safari if you are using Chrome right now, it's made a huge difference in battery life and heat generated.

I also experienced this on an older iMac.

I don't think it's a conspiracy. Firstly, lower energy consumption on Safari means partly that the Apple software engineers devoted more effort to power efficiency than the Google ones did.

But recently, there is another twist: the Spectre & especially Meltdown security holes. They were revealed to Apple and Google a couple of months ago at least, but kept quiet. In the middle of December, there were updates to both MacOS and Chrome, probably preliminary updates to fix security via these holes (created by Intel's negligence), but it is well known that many fixes for the more serious one (Meltdown) lower performance substantially.

I noticed my Chrome suddenly taking much more CPU %age and hence more heat in December....all up until a couple of days ago.

You want the "macOS High Sierra 10.13.2 Supplemental Update." Not just the 10.13.2, but the Supplemental Update, and that fixed the high CPU problem in Chrome in a major way. (I don't know if there was a parallel recent update to Chrome but I wouldn't be surprised).

MacOS has some special calls & designs to promote lower power use ("AppNap") that Safari takes advantage of and Chrome doesn't. The first patch (Mid December 10.13.2) probably fixed the security flaw but introduced performance problems depending on the pattern of OS calls. Safari wasn't affected much but Chrome sure was.

Probably there was some additional optimizations in the Supplemental Update.

new topics

<< 1   >>

join