It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Incoherent, authoritarian, uninformed: Trump’s New York Times interview is a scary read

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Dec, 29 2017 @ 10:19 PM
link   
When are you lot going to get it. It is not going to go your way. A democratic process elected the person that you did not want to the office of President.

No amount of pissing and childlike sneering is going to bring about a change. The corruption of the previous administration is gradually coming to light and the evil and vile sociopath that you all wanted to be President is going to prison, will die, or both.

Get used to it and get over it FFS. Your desperation is becoming as tiresome as it is futile.
edit on 29-12-2017 by CulturalResilience because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2017 @ 10:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: antiantonym

If he doesn't, then it's just another day and another Trump lie.

Power is the ability to say anything, however ridiculous or untrue, with absolutely no personal consequences to self as a result.

Trump is testing and exercising his power.

Of course, we know the Freemasons gave him this power, right?

Remember, when the devil gives you this power, it's only for a "limited time", then he takes it back.

posted on Dec, 29 2017 @ 10:20 PM
link   
a reply to: antiantonym

Don't worry about it. I think Trump said it best when he said this.

posted on Dec, 29 2017 @ 10:44 PM
link   

Best NYT Interview I have Read in Years ! Keep Up the Good Work Scumbags......

posted on Dec, 29 2017 @ 11:05 PM
link   

It would be comforting, on some level, to believe that Trump is simply lying, that he is trying to convince us of what he knows to be untrue. It is scarier to believe that Trump is delusional, that he has persuaded himself that Democrats have said things they’ve never said, that his base has strengthened when it has actually weakened, that it’s really his opponents under investigation for collusion, that his campaign has been cleared of wrongdoing when the circumstantial case for collusion has only grown stronger.

But that is far from the end of the interview.

Trump: “I have absolute right to do what I want to do with the Justice Department”

A few paragraphs later, for instance, Trump offers this chilling comment when asked about Hillary Clinton’s emails (which, amazingly, we are somehow still talking about in December 2017):

NYT: You control the Justice Department. Should they reopen that email investigation?

TRUMP: What I’ve done is, I have absolute right to do what I want to do with the Justice Department. But for purposes of hopefully thinking I’m going to be treated fairly, I’ve stayed uninvolved with this particular matter.

Read Trump’s phrasing carefully: “I have absolute right to do what I want to do with the Justice Department.” It’s a statement that speaks both to Trump’s yearning for authoritarian power and his misunderstanding of the system in which he actually operates.

And it’s followed by something yet scarier. “For purposes of hopefully thinking I’m going to be treated fairly, I’ve stayed uninvolved with this particular matter,” he says.
www.vox.com...

I know Trumpers don't mind Trump lying like crazy or making absurd claims, but his comment quoted above about the Justice Department has to bother all Trump supporters in my view. Consider the following moments from recent history.

In this video, Trump asserts that he would have the power as POTUS to put Hillary Clinton behind bars.

www.youtube.com...

In this video, Trump asserts that he does not have the power as POTUS to put Hillary Clinton behind bars.

www.youtube.com...

I thought locking Hillary Clinton up was one of the things Trumpers cared about most. Therefore, I would think they would care about whether Trump has the absolute right to do what he wants with the Justice Department.

If he does, then he's apparently betraying his supporters.

Do you seriously not remember what Obama ACTUALLY did? Your post is why no one takes liberals seriously.

posted on Dec, 29 2017 @ 11:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn
DOJ is an executive branch department under the full control of the president.

So yes, he’s correct.

You bastard - how very awkward and inconvenient (if you're a Trump-loathing Democrat) - if this was anytime between 08-16, you'd be an Obama supporter for saying that - he treated the DOJ et al like the dossier hookers - bitches at his disposal.

posted on Dec, 29 2017 @ 11:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Kettu

No, we elected a POTUS with a gift of bringing to light a number of indoviduals' mental illnesses, however. Seriously, projection continues to be a problem in the USA...

posted on Dec, 29 2017 @ 11:43 PM
link   
Wow it really is becoming a cult.

+4 more 
posted on Dec, 29 2017 @ 11:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Sublimecraft

...to expand on that, has Trump used his DOJ to illegally run weapons to the Mexican cartels, leading directly to dead border agents in the US? The exercises in projection by the left are a goddamn hoot.

posted on Dec, 29 2017 @ 11:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: testingtesting
Wow it really is becoming a cult.

I think almost everyone on this forum agrees that Trump was a better choice for POTUS than Hillary Clinton. That didn't help them when Roy Moore lost, it won't help them in the 2018 midterm elections, and it won't help them in the 2020 elections. Politics is about the future not the past.

In a 30-minute interview, President Trump made 24 false or misleading claims

“I won because I campaigned properly and she didn’t. She campaigned for the popular vote. I campaigned for the electoral college.”

There is no evidence that Hillary Clinton campaigned for the popular vote, which Trump has previously has said he would have won if not for fraud. Clinton campaigned in many battleground states, including Republican-leaning ones where she thought she had a chance. She did not campaign as much in two states — Michigan and Wisconsin — that were considered locks for Democrats but which Trump narrowly won. Clinton won the popular vote by nearly 3 million. If 40,000 votes had switched in three states, Trump would have also lost the electoral college.

“Paul [Manafort] only worked for me for a few months.”

Trump skips over lightly the fact that Manafort, now under indictment, was his campaign manager in the critical period in which he secured the nomination and accepted it at the GOP convention.

“There was tremendous collusion on behalf of the Russians and the Democrats. There was no collusion with respect to my campaign.”

This is a breathtakingly false statement. Little evidence has emerged of any collusion between the Democrats and Russia, whereas evidence has emerged of many contacts between Trump campaign officials and Russian-linked individuals. The FBI, CIA and National Security Agency earlier this year concluded that Russian President Vladimir Putin and his government “aspired to help President-elect Trump’s election chances when possible by discrediting Secretary Clinton and publicly contrasting her unfavorably to him.”

“What I’ve done is, I have absolute right to do what I want to do with the Justice Department.”

Presidents do not have unfettered right to interfere with Justice Department investigations, unless they are actively seeking a constitutional crisis.

edit on 29-12-2017 by antiantonym because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2017 @ 12:00 AM
link   

Everyone forgets you could have voted 3Rd party. Heck he wouldn't have won but with enough votes you could have all actually changed things for the better.

The thing as an outsider I have noticed is with obama people could support and criticise him but Trump? his followers appear to be unable to criticise him at all.
Like I said like a cult leader.

posted on Dec, 30 2017 @ 12:06 AM
link   

Can't wait to see how far the dems get on "Trump Sucks" this time!

posted on Dec, 30 2017 @ 12:19 AM
link   

The thing as an outsider I have noticed is with obama people could support and criticise him but Trump? his followers appear to be unable to criticise him at all.
Like I said like a cult leader.

"Outsider" is putting it mildly. You need to visit ATS more often. I'm a Trump supporter, who just finished criticizing him in another thread. There's plenty of criticism of Trump, from Trump supporters here.

The difference is that supporters criticize the President in a CONSTRUCTIVE way. Democrats just hurl insults at him, because they're frustrated, hurt, and let-down, after 8 years of Obama stabbing them in the back.

posted on Dec, 30 2017 @ 12:26 AM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn
Wait, don't they fall under the Judicial branch I thought??

posted on Dec, 30 2017 @ 12:29 AM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

Nah not buying it tbh the vast majority of his supporters on ATS do not criticize Trump no matter what they make excuses even when he lies. Or deflect on to Clinton.

posted on Dec, 30 2017 @ 12:36 AM
link   

a reply to: carewemust

Nah not buying it tbh the vast majority of his supporters on ATS do not criticize Trump no matter what they make excuses even when he lies. Or deflect on to Clinton.

I hear people say that President Trump lies, but no one has pointed out any lie of consequence. I mean big lies that actually HURT people, like Obama spouted, when promising the dumb sheep what ObamaCare would bring them.

posted on Dec, 30 2017 @ 01:22 AM
link   

It would be comforting, on some level, to believe that Trump is simply lying, that he is trying to convince us of what he knows to be untrue. It is scarier to believe that Trump is delusional, that he has persuaded himself that Democrats have said things they’ve never said, that his base has strengthened when it has actually weakened, that it’s really his opponents under investigation for collusion, that his campaign has been cleared of wrongdoing when the circumstantial case for collusion has only grown stronger.

But that is far from the end of the interview.

Trump: “I have absolute right to do what I want to do with the Justice Department”

A few paragraphs later, for instance, Trump offers this chilling comment when asked about Hillary Clinton’s emails (which, amazingly, we are somehow still talking about in December 2017):

NYT: You control the Justice Department. Should they reopen that email investigation?

TRUMP: What I’ve done is, I have absolute right to do what I want to do with the Justice Department. But for purposes of hopefully thinking I’m going to be treated fairly, I’ve stayed uninvolved with this particular matter.

Read Trump’s phrasing carefully: “I have absolute right to do what I want to do with the Justice Department.” It’s a statement that speaks both to Trump’s yearning for authoritarian power and his misunderstanding of the system in which he actually operates.

And it’s followed by something yet scarier. “For purposes of hopefully thinking I’m going to be treated fairly, I’ve stayed uninvolved with this particular matter,” he says.
www.vox.com...

I know Trumpers don't mind Trump lying like crazy or making absurd claims, but his comment quoted above about the Justice Department has to bother all Trump supporters in my view. Consider the following moments from recent history.

In this video, Trump asserts that he would have the power as POTUS to put Hillary Clinton behind bars.

www.youtube.com...

In this video, Trump asserts that he does not have the power as POTUS to put Hillary Clinton behind bars.

www.youtube.com...

I thought locking Hillary Clinton up was one of the things Trumpers cared about most. Therefore, I would think they would care about whether Trump has the absolute right to do what he wants with the Justice Department.

If he does, then he's apparently betraying his supporters.

Well... it's not surprising when folks don't understand what the 3 branches of government are... and what falls under each of them. The Department of Justice is an executive department... which means "the boss" is, you (should have) guessed it... the POTUS.

BUT... just because he runs the Executive branch... doesn't mean he can legally suspend Due Process... even for a career criminal like Hillary Clinton.

Anyway... your OP shows that you really don't understand the structure of the U.S. government, or how and who for the Constitution works for and why.

BOTH statements you called Trump out on... he was 100% correct about. You'd know that if you understood how the American system is structured. Maybe you're not an American. If you are American... maybe brush up on your civics before you prove how uninformed you are?

Just a thought... ;-)

Carry on...
edit on 30-12-2017 by dasman888 because: edit

posted on Dec, 30 2017 @ 01:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: worldstarcountry
a reply to: projectvxn
Wait, don't they fall under the Judicial branch I thought??

Actually, no... Department of Justice is supposed to enforce the law... and has prosecutorial standing to empanel Grand Juries and indict and prosecute suspects for suspected crimes.

The Judicial Branch stands separate from the DOJ and is there to adjudicate (Judge as innocent or guilty... or no standing... or toss case out as without merit) cases where criminal or civil charges have been attached.

DOJ is a prosecutor

Courts are supposed to protect the law, and by extension, the rights of individuals under law.

Now... keep in mind, that's how it was set up. Whether it's now filed with rot and how much rot is another conversation. There is a LOT of corruption in the Judiciary these days.
edit on 30-12-2017 by dasman888 because: edit

posted on Dec, 30 2017 @ 01:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: dasman888

BUT... just because he runs the Executive branch... doesn't mean he can legally suspend Due Process... even for a career criminal like Hillary Clinton.

Well, the executive branch can arrest people and throw them in jail, or send them to gitmo.

And Since the Patriot act, they can hold citizens indefinitely without due process too.

So, if Trump wanted, technically, he could arrest Hillary and send her to Gitmo to sit and rot for years without any processing at all.

Those are the awesome powers "grabbed" by the government, using "terrorisim" as the excuse to increase their power to the level required by authoritarians.

Trump is King. Long live the King.

posted on Dec, 30 2017 @ 01:51 AM
link   
a reply to: AMPTAH

It's only authoritarian when Trump does something. It's only narcissism when it's Trump. Only Trump is a liar. Hillary isn't a psychopath. Obama wasn't a sociopath. Obama never had one single scandal. Trump deserves to go down as a traitor because drug epidemic starting Al Qaeda arming CIA says so. Bill Clinton wasn't a rapist but Trump is.

DUH!!!

Get with the program.

It's all only Trump, and he's worse than everything Bush, Clinton, Bush, Obama, Clinton ever did before he even took office. The world totally ended now its all different because Trump's a rockstar billionaire and Hillary hit her head too many times.
edit on 30-12-2017 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join