It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TA-ATTACKS: Terrorist Bomb Attacks in Philippines

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 07:26 AM
link   
At least three people have been killed in the southern Philippine island of Mindanao today. Abu Sayyaf, an Islamic terrorist group with links to al-Qaeda, claimed responsibility.

news.scotsman.com
A trio of bombs jolted the Philippines today, killing at least three people and injuring at least 16 others.

The Muslim extremist group Abu Sayyaf claimed responsibility in a call between the explosions.

One blast, outside a shopping mall in southern General Santos city, could be heard a mile away. Police said at least three people were killed and at least 15 others were injured.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

At least one source, the Irish Radio Telefís Éireann, has claimed that the fatalities number ten or more.

The attacks appear to be related to the campaign of the Philippine armed forces against two groups of Islamic terrorists on the southwestern island of Jolo. The insurgents are surrounded, with supply lines cut off, and are being subjected to aerial bombardment and artillery fire. The Philippine military says 20 soldiers and 40 rebels have been killed thus far. Around 800 fighters from Abu Sayyaf and Moro National Liberation Front are being pounded by the military now in the mostly Christian country that is on the front line of the War on Terror.

Related News Links:
www.rte.ie
edition.cnn.com

[edit on 14-2-2005 by Banshee]

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Well I can tell you so far the news here hasn't stated exactly who might be behind these attacks. President Arroyo was reported seen atleast visiting one bombing site. The news showed a bus at one bombing site that appeared to have been used or was destroyed by the blast. The roof of the bus was ripped wide open. Clean up crews and investigators are on site. See what tomorrow morning news has to say.

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cebu
Well I can tell you so far the news here hasn't stated exactly who might be behind these attacks.

The Muslim extremist group Abu Sayyaf claimed responsibility in a call between the explosions.

news.scotsman.com...
www.mg.co.za.../breaking_news/breaking_news__international_news/
www.theage.com.au...
www.nst.com.my...

While the bombings come in the middle of a huge defeat for Islamic guerrillas on Jolo island, they could also have been planned earlier for Valentine's day.

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Well I've got the news on right now and they keep stating that nobody has taken responsibility. I did read your news sources, but unfortunately they or the news here has their info wrong. Or the government knows and are keeping it quiet while they try to decide their next moves, or to see if there are more bombings. Also they are reporting that 94 were injured, some critically. Look for the death toll to rise in the next few days.

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 10:06 AM
link   
There is a Dir. General Edgardo Aglipay being interviewed right now on the news here. He said we are not sure if it is Abu Sayyaf, we cannot confirm, but it is being looked into.

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cebu
There is a Dir. General Edgardo Aglipay being interviewed right now on the news here. He said we are not sure if it is Abu Sayyaf, we cannot confirm, but it is being looked into.

Interesting. I found some more sources suggesting Abu Sayyaf did it.

The Abu Sayyaf, a kidnap-for-ransom splinter group of the country's Muslim separatist movement, claimed responsibility for the bombings

www.bloomberg.com...

The Abu Sayyaf, a militant group listed by the US state department as a 'foreign terrorist organisation', claimed the attacks.

us.rediff.com...

The bandit group Abu Sayyaf, which is on Washington's list of terror groups, claimed responsibility, calling it retribution for a major, ongoing military offensive against Islamic gunmen in Mindanao.

www.sunstar.com.ph...

The three bombings, which appeared to have been coordinated, were claimed by the Abu Sayyaf, a militant Muslim group operating in the southern Philippines that is listed by the US State Department as a "foreign terrorist organization."

www.nst.com.my...

The Al-Qaeda-linked Abu Sayyaf claimed responsibility for the attacks, calling them a "continuing response to the Philippine government's atrocities committed against Muslims everywhere.

news.inq7.net...

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Here's a detailed source:

www.cbsnews.com...

"You can attribute this to us," an Abu Sayyaf leader, Abu Solaiman, said in a call to local radio 20 minutes after the first two blasts. "There is one more to come," he said before the Manila blast.

In a second call to DZBB radio, Solaiman called the bombings a Valentine's Day "gift" to President Gloria Macapagal Arroyo.

"Our latest operations — planned and executed with precision by the gallant warriors of Islam — is our continuing response to the Philippine government's atrocities committed against Muslims everywhere," Solaiman said.

"We will find more ways and means to inflict more harm to your people's lives and properties, and we will not stop unless we get justice for the countless Muslims lives and properties that you people have destroyed."

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by HeirToBokassa
Interesting. I found some more sources suggesting Abu Sayyaf did it.

I see you have plenty of sources there HeirToBokassa. Strange all the tv news stations here in the Philippines are reporting one thing, while even the Sun Star a national paper here is reporting on their site that Abu Sayyaf did it. I'm starting to think that the government here may be taking the heat off these terrorists by saying they don't know while they go through all the evidence and try to locate who may have planted these bombs and where are they now. I'm going to bed soon as it is 12:45am here, but I'll let you know what unfolds here if anything does.

[edit on 14-2-2005 by Cebu]

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Awesome. It's interesting to hear (or read I suppose) from someone who's actually there. Thanks Cebu!

posted on Feb, 15 2005 @ 06:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by HeirToBokassa
Awesome. It's interesting to hear (or read I suppose) from someone who's actually there. Thanks Cebu!

Thank you HeirToBokassa!

Bloody Valentine

This is the headline that graced many a paper here today in the Philippines. I can tell you that it seems everyone gets their information from totally different sources as still today everyones numbers are all different. I've heard anywhere from 6-11 deaths and anywhere between 60 and over 100 injured. While some papers are stating that this attack was supposedly from Abu Sayyaf, nothing has been yet confirmed. One paper stated that Abu Sayyaf said this was a special Valentines gift for President Arroyo. In retaliation for the military's crushing blows to militants in the south.

We'll see what tomorrows papers have to say about this whole situation. Today seemed like just another day, back to business. Unless you happened to pick up a newspaper and read the headline.

top topics

join