It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dig Deep: DARPA Contest Aims to Take People Underground

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2017 @ 11:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Wolfenz

Drone platform: Miniature blimp type drones with miniature submersible detachable attachments that can survey liquid areas spacing and scan for mineral and biological data.
The blimps would have infrared and other observation equipment to map in the dark. They would have sonar like equipment that can ping map like bats the caverns and like dolphins the liquid areas. The data collected from the various equipment would be sent to a mapping database that would show a 3d image or hologram of the compiled information.

Drones size would vary from NFL football to grapefruit sizes.

posted on Dec, 29 2017 @ 11:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hewhowaits

originally posted by: pteridine

Maybe this has to do with Moon or Mars bases, long term.

I was wondering the same thing. What kind of drilling/tunneling device would work up there?
Has anyone drilled core samples or anything like that?

They had ! built the Design

Apparatus and method for large tunnel excavation in hard rock
US 3885832 A
ABSTRACT
A tunneling machine for producing large tunnels in rock by progressive detachment of the tunnel core by thermal melting a boundary kerf into the tunnel face and simultaneously forming an initial tunnel wall support by deflecting the molten materials against the tunnel walls to provide, when solidified, a continuous liner; and fragmenting the tunnel core circumscribed by the kerf by thermal stress fracturing and in which the heat required for such operations is supplied by a compact nuclear reactor.
www.google.com...,M1

Method and apparatus for tunneling by melting
US 3693731 A
ABSTRACT
A machine and method for drilling bore holes and tunnels by melting in which a housing is provided for supporting a heat source and a heated end portion and in which the necessary melting heat is delivered to the walls of the end portion at a rate sufficient to melt rock and during operation of which the molten material may be disposed adjacent the boring zone in cracks in the rock and as a vitreous wall lining of the tunnel so formed. The heat source can be electrical or nuclear but for deep drilling is preferably a nuclear reactor.
www.google.com...

posted on Dec, 29 2017 @ 11:29 PM
link   

Maybe this has to do with Moon or Mars bases, long term.

I was wondering the same thing. What kind of drilling/tunneling device would work up there?
Has anyone drilled core samples or anything like that?

I think that's the goal of the challenge. No core samples from any depth.

Well from what I read in a PDF that was originally came form Paperwork from plans and testing
from JPL I think back in the 70s

that they actually did in a Simulated Atmosphere and Gravity what would be like on the moon Surface
wish i can remember the article's name its on Scitech connect anyhow ..

Scitech connect
www.osti.gov...

posted on Dec, 29 2017 @ 11:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: antar
Very interesting challenge. The unknown is scary for sure but I suspect as in most of their handywork it is more about wars than anything else.

PLEASE keep an eye on this and let us stay informed.

Yeah im very concerned about this ;

as Conspiracies of Deep Underground Military Base aka DUMB's
had been spreading since the 1990s Ever Since Phillip Schneider, let out the Bomb

and now making a habitat Underground? another IceAge coming ?

dont forget That , Interstellar Cloud that is in our Path that is getting Close
which is right around the Corner ( 100 ) years time

and Now DARPA is Asking Corporations & Contractors too make a Challenge! for a Prize!
what a way to Recruit! for Contractors! LOL . Go Fund ME!!

and the Winner would be in 2021!! Dead Line is in Jan 18th ! 2018

posted on Dec, 29 2017 @ 11:48 PM
link   
a reply to: YouSir

You could send in the flying/crawling/swimming spiderbot swarm as well...have those creepy crawlies map in real time and use themselves to relay the real time signal to the operator... There you go DARPA...problem solved...NEXT...

LOL

who to Say that DARPA with its Bed Buddies M.I.T. and Boston Dynamics
are doing it or had done it already..

posted on Dec, 29 2017 @ 11:55 PM
link   
North koreaare rumoured to have extensive underground bases.

If defectors are to be believed then the ground under north korea is like swiss cheese.

It was the north koreans that taught the Vietnamese underground base building.

Perhaps the US wants a way to map tunnels in case of war?

posted on Dec, 30 2017 @ 12:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
Underground drones. Why not?
Hopefully Macenroe82 will be aware of the RFP.

Now that the design is patented, I can share this with you, by showing you the very first flight of a drone descending a drop raise, into an open stope, then flying back out the way it came.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

from this: in the Movie Prometheus

in Reality of this ! ( its been Done Apparently )

Flying and rolling drone will map underground mines on its own
www.newscientist.com...

A drone that can switch between flying and rolling could soon be exploring underground mines without the aid of a human pilot. In open air, drones can navigate autonomously using GPS, but these satellite signals don’t penetrate deep underground, meaning robot spelunkers require human pilots. Ahmed AlNomany and his colleagues at Swedish company Inkonova are working on an alternative. “It’s complicated because we are trying to invent another way of positioning using bits and pieces of technologies,” says AlNomany. Having a view of its surroundings is the first step. Using laser scanners and a technique called SLAM, which calculates the distance between the drone and nearby objects, it will build up a map of its environment. And it can do so quickly. The company recently used its manually operated drone, TILT Ranger, to map an underground mine in Mali using SLAM. In just 10 minutes, they were able to virtually reconstruct a section of the mine with a volume of roughly 30,000 cubic metres – about a third the size of London’s Royal Albert Hall. “It’s not a big challenge to capture such zones quickly,” says AlNomany.

ESA’s drone-mapping astronaut has a Prometheus moment
By Geo Editor - May 25, 2017
geoawesomeness.com...

www.youtube.com...

posted on Dec, 30 2017 @ 12:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: Hazardous1408
Great way to identify the competition.

Primed for absorption into the Plan or to eliminate if unreliable/a hindrance to said Plan.

Anyone else think of Phil Schneider reading this?

yeah I did about : Phil Schneider it was a Trigger

Not Sure if he Knew a lot of # , or Heard about it
but he knew something , but for Aliens ? eh..
and the crazy thing of his Nazi father involved with the Philadelphia experiment
and some Aliens that were Adviser were far fetched , hey just maybe !
we did have a NAZI engineer ( Braun ) that sent Man too the moon after all

first time I heard about him was on a Conspiracy VHS Tape in the Early 90s
and before the Internet became widely Known.
a lot of information, he dished out .

but unlike a faker a charlenton

he had that I did NOT give a # Attitude.
take it or leave it..

posted on Dec, 30 2017 @ 12:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ophiuchus 13

Drone platform: Miniature blimp type drones with miniature submersible detachable attachments that can survey liquid areas spacing and scan for mineral and biological data.
The blimps would have infrared and other observation equipment to map in the dark. They would have sonar like equipment that can ping map like bats the caverns and like dolphins the liquid areas. The data collected from the various equipment would be sent to a mapping database that would show a 3d image or hologram of the compiled information.

Drones size would vary from NFL football to grapefruit sizes.

a all terrain drone you mean? I think they were testing something like that in Space on ISS
if im not mistaken it looked like it came out of Star wars the Light saber trainer Drone

Richard Garriott aka Lord British the Make of the Ultima Computer game Series
was there on ISS when they were testing them
Garrett's father Owen K. Garriott was an Astronaut that was on Skylab 3

Garriott is in the Blue

www.youtube.com...

July 9, 2014
Prototype Robot With Smartphone to Test 3-D Mapping, Navigation Inside Space Station
www.nasa.gov...

SPHERES
en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 62017SaturdayfAmerica/Chicago12363 by Wolfenz because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2017 @ 01:03 AM
link   

DARPA Contest Aims to Take People Underground and from other stuff i've read they well be very luckly to return. Might be a means of getting a new batch of lab rats.

posted on Dec, 30 2017 @ 01:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Azureblue

DARPA Contest Aims to Take People Underground and from other stuff i've read they well be very luckly to return. Might be a means of getting a new batch of lab rats.

Sound Like you Mean !

Chosen Survivors (1974) original Trailer
www.youtube.com...

posted on Dec, 30 2017 @ 01:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: Wolfenz

originally posted by: Azureblue

Sound Like you Mean !

Chosen Survivors (1974) original Trailer
www.youtube.com...

As it turns out I do remember that movie now you metion it and I saw it but I was not thinking of that. I was thinking of Phil Schneider I think it was, (I could be wrong on that) who discovered, in one under ground city there were various levels, some of which were seperated off and contained different types of aliens to their own levels because they did not get along to well together.

In one of the levels there were hundreds or even thousands of humans in cages stacked on row upon row who were being experimted on by the aliens.

There is a sketch showing how 'babies' were being bred in bottles of fluid floating aourund on the net somewhere.

posted on Dec, 30 2017 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Didn't it say in the OP it was for 2million? That is a drop in the bucket, a mere cocktail party for the d list elites. I wonder what happened to those gigantic rotary thingies that they dig the underground tunnels with?

posted on Dec, 30 2017 @ 03:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: antar

Didn't it say in the OP it was for 2million? That is a drop in the bucket, a mere cocktail party for the d list elites. I wonder what happened to those gigantic rotary thingies that they dig the underground tunnels with?

Yes that what it said 2 million chump change for an Elitists...

more less the prize is for the new Recruits ( Minor Companies ) they would eventually Lure In

Here Join Us ! and you will get 2 million if you win!

we will give you an extra 2 million, say we will double it if you can Win!!

but we will only ask of you , a xx percent cut Ownership and profits !
on your Invention / Plan if it Works , we will manufacture it and sell it as our Product !
Deal ? Good!

Here Sign !

yup pretty much how it Works !

The Tackle the bait the Hook!

DARPA gone Fishin !

I would assume they have them still the Tunnelers !

Phillip Schneider Mentions this in the 90s when it was barely Known

www.youtube.com...

but its nothing like the Nuclear thermal Tunneler

www.google.com...
this is what Phillip Schneider was talking about ..

Nuclear Powered Tunnelling Machines
www.info-quest.org...
edit on 62017SaturdayfAmerica/Chicago12363 by Wolfenz because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2017 @ 05:37 PM
link   

I swear I just read an article that someone was working with small drones and lidar to do cave mapping.

Found it.link

Swarming drones pinging and cumulatively relaying integrated data would do it...but one would need self-sustaining drones which fuel off of their environments....and the Daisy-Chain would be critical enough to require redundancy...

posted on Jan, 6 2018 @ 11:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: one4all

I swear I just read an article that someone was working with small drones and lidar to do cave mapping.

Found it.link

Swarming drones pinging and cumulatively relaying integrated data would do it...but one would need self-sustaining drones which fuel off of their environments....and the Daisy-Chain would be critical enough to require redundancy...

also a Drone with a Semi A.I. and knows how to finds its way back One that can Fly Swim and Roll ....

Self Sustaining Drone fuel itself from it Environment isn't a Easy Task ..

all though ive Seen Origami's like Robots
www.youtube.com...

that is pretty close , but nothing for a Long distance travel .. but more Modern Technology is getting close too the

Spider Bots that you have seen in Minority Report ..
www.youtube.com...

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 02:20 PM
link   
This DARPA program has nothing to do with drilling and making underground cities.

It's a call to industry for proofs of concept that best use technology to navigate and explore underground spaces deemed either too risky for humans to enter, or otherwise inaccessible to humans (small passages, etc.).

And it's not about the $2M; that's chump change for the winning proof of concept.

What will follow is a big-$$ DoD contract to the winner to refine and develop the concept into a working, rugged robot or electronic scanning technology that can be manufactured to easily and rapidly deploy in support military and commercial operations.

That's all it is.

posted on Feb, 3 2018 @ 07:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheTruthRocks
This DARPA program has nothing to do with drilling and making underground cities.

It's a call to industry for proofs of concept that best use technology to navigate and explore underground spaces deemed either too risky for humans to enter, or otherwise inaccessible to humans (small passages, etc.).

And it's not about the $2M; that's chump change for the winning proof of concept.

What will follow is a big-$$ DoD contract to the winner to refine and develop the concept into a working, rugged robot or electronic scanning technology that can be manufactured to easily and rapidly deploy in support military and commercial operations.

That's all it is.

It's a call to industry for proofs of concept that best use technology to navigate and explore underground spaces ..deemed either too risky for humans to enter, or otherwise inaccessible to humans (small passages, etc.).

ever thought as too Why, for what Purpose , you figure ???

perhaps they are hoping too find Super caves like in China ..

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join