It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Carbomb Kills Former Lebanese Primeminister

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 07:24 AM
link   
Carbomb in Lebanon killed at least nine people, including former Lebanese Primeminister Rafik Hariri. Many buildings in the area are damaged as well as some 20 cars.

BBC: Car bomb kills former Lebanese PM

Former Lebanese Prime Minister Rafik Hariri has been killed in a car bomb explosion in central Beirut.

Local television stations have broadcast pictures of a vast bomb site, with about 20 cars ablaze and buildings seriously damaged.

Pictures from a local TV station showed a burning man fighting to get out of a car through its window, falling to the ground and being helped by a bystander.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Edit: There is now an ATSNN-thread here:
NEWS: Large Explosion Rocks Beirut Seafront (by Riwka)

[edit on 2005/2/14 by Hellmutt]

[edit on 2006/4/23 by Hellmutt]

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 07:14 PM
link   
And now this...

An army statement said it had "ordered a general mobilisation of all army units, raised to the maximum its state of alert" to "safeguard stability".

Army patrols have been sent out in Beirut and checkpoints set up

[edit on 2006/4/23 by Hellmutt]

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Bashir and his buddies in Damascas might have gone a little too far this time... even Chirac is outraged.

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 07:38 PM
link   
now i wonder if this will cause a war with syria and lebanon...we'll see.

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 08:27 PM
link   
The Syrian troops in Lebanon are supposed to be confined to barracks. If they decide to, they and their Hisbullah allies can crush any domestic uprising.

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 08:49 PM
link   
In contrast, the Lebanese PM was a Syrian/Damascus puppet for the Syrian 'occupation' of Lebanon. Was it not reported that those who claimed responsibility also stated that they wanted Syria's 14,000+ troops out of Lebanon?

seekerof

posted on Sep, 25 2006 @ 07:20 PM
link   
A UN report was released yesterday...

Channelnewsasia.com: UN probe report details fresh evidence on Hariri murder

26 September 2006

A UN report released Monday cited fresh evidence that a suicide bomber detonated up to 1.8 tonnes of explosives to kill Lebanese ex-premier Rafiq Hariri last year and noted further Syrian cooperation with the probe.

[---]

Bolton also highlighted the probe's findings of more evidence of a link between the Hariri assassination and 14 other attacks carried out in Lebanon against opponents of Syria.

[---]

Two weeks ago, an exiled former Syrian intelligence officer was reportedly quoted as saying Syrian President Bashar al-Assad and his Lebanese counterpart, Emile Lahoud, ordered the Hariri murder. "Bashar al-Assad and Emile Lahoud gave the orders for Hariri's murder," Mohammed Zuhair as-Saddiq was quoted by the Beirut daily An-Nahar as saying in an interview with the Dubai-based Al-Arabiya satellite television channel. Saddiq, a former colonel in Damascus' intelligence service who was speaking from the French capital Paris, also claimed that "former Lebanese officials and certain Arab officials", whom he did not identify to Al-Arabiya, "also participated in this crime".

posted on Sep, 25 2006 @ 07:25 PM
link   
...And I just noticed this very interesting thread by WyrdeOne:

Hariri Assasination - New 'Evidence' a Blatant Lie?

posted on Sep, 25 2006 @ 07:33 PM
link   
I should have just posted on this thread - my bad.

Just something I was thinking about, whenever Hariri is mentioned in the press, he's described as 'Anti-Syrian' or something similar. No mention of the fact that he was also opposed to Israel?

I mean, he supported guerilla attacks against Israel, and he's Anti-Syrian?

(He was against Syrian control of Lebanon, I'm not saying otherwise, but it seems to me that 'anti-Syrian' is not even close to a complete description of the guy. At least he should be called a nationalist - or pro-Lebanese if you prefer
)

Does that seem strange to anyone else?

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 04:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by WyrdeOne

No mention of the fact that he was also opposed to Israel?

This is in the news now:

BBC: Nasrallah accuses Israel over Hariri murder

In a fiery speech, Sheikh Hassan Nasrallah said he would prove the claim at a press conference next week.

The BBC's Jon Leyne says Mr Nasrallah is trying to pre-empt a UN report due to implicate Hezbollah in the killing.

Bloomberg: Hezbollah's Nasrallah Accuses Israel of 2005 Killing of Lebanon's Hariri

Hezbollah Secretary-General Hassan Nasrallah accused Israel of the 2005 assassination of former Lebanese leader Rafiq Hariri and urged UN investigators to consider Israeli involvement.

Nasrallah, addressing thousands of Hezbollah supporters in Beirut via a closed video link, said that he would present “evidence and figures” about Israel’s alleged involvement on Aug. 9.

new topics

top topics

join