It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Climate Change The facts some people can't wrap their around

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2017 @ 10:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: HanSolo31
a reply to: JAGStorm

Here is my problem. Science has recorded massive floods, polar shifts, ice ages, and warmer ages, we have had the dust bowl drought, and many other extreme climate changes, all before co2 and humans existed.

I don't know where you're getting your information from, but CO2 has always been part of our atmosphere. Oxygen levels were higher during the age of the dinosaurs (Cretaceous).

Cities that were on land centuries ago, were under water way before co2 emissions and destroying the ozone (which they finally admitted to being false).

The sinking cities were not due to climate change but to plate tectonics.

Assuming climate change is occuring is a given. Our weather patterns and the earth itself is dynamic. Weather is never the same. Moreover, if hot weather and cold weather is caused by climate change, please name one way that makes it possible that it is not happening ? You can't. Not because it is happening but because its a logical fallacy. I believe its the either or fallacy, however, its been a while since I read "Intro to logic and reasoning." If anybody here knows the name of it, feel free to correct me.

Please don't compare weather and climate. Think of all the people in your state. Weather is the same metric as "the height of people around me." Climate is the same metric as "the average height of all the people in the state. If you walk through your town, you encounter different average heights (the average height of people at a kindergarten is different than the average height of people on a basketball court. When people say "it's cold this winter, therefore there's no climate change" it's the same as looking at a daycare and saying "the average height of people is around 3 1/2 feet."

Bottom line is, we have 100 years worth of data on weather and temps (a drop in an ocean),

More than that, actaully...

evidence that there have been major weather and climate shifts multiple times throughout history (before co2 and even humans I.E. dinosaurs),

Oxygen was not a major component of the atmosphere until around one billion years ago. We are now approaching levels of CO2 achieved only twice before in our history - one of those events was the Permian-Triassic extinction event, one of the largest extinction events in our history. The other peak occurs during the Carboniferous period (at a time of increase of prolonged but smaller extinctions, and the third at about the time of the extinction of the dinosaurs.

and yet we know for a fact that global warming is a product of humanity ?

Let me give you some insight on those other extinction events. For the dinosaurs and the Permian event, we have a field of supervolcanos (Siberian Traps during the Permian, Deccan Traps during the Cretaceous) that covered a two million (not a typo... 2,000,000) square mile area

We live on a dynamic planet, that has dynamic weather patterns, always has, and always will.

And the shape of those weather patterns are impacted by the overall climate.

posted on Dec, 29 2017 @ 11:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
Every winter when it is cold someone spouts off something about oh how do you like this global warming??? I think we should
have never used that term, and should have only used climate change (or something similar) from the start. Some simpletons can only understand the term global warming with extra hot in summer, not the weather instability or long term slow climate changes.

It makes me sad for humanity every time I hear it.
I remember in the early 1990's trying to explain the internet to my friends. They just couldn't understand how it works, it was like magic or something. I think many people feel that way about climate change, since they aren't experiencing it first hand (yet) they don't believe it is real. There is so so so so SO much evidence, real scientific evidence, but for some people they just want to be ignorant, what a shame for us all.

climate.nasa.gov...

www.skepticalscience.com...

Why not just stick to your guns and keep calling it global warming. Obviously everyone is an idiot for not buying it when you change your mind every time a weather phenomenon occurs.

posted on Dec, 29 2017 @ 11:27 PM
link   

a reply to: UKTruth

I'm just going to put this here:
Mike Pence, the US vice president-elect, has said he doesn't believe that smoking kills
www.businessinsider.com...

When my mom started smoking they actually used to say it was good for your health. (we are talking a very long time ago) Yes that is a fact, it was even Physician approved. Many people loved smoking and didn't want to believe it caused harm. But people started to die, get cancer. Over time we realized the devastating health effects smoking had on people. We have more evidence, more studies, but still in this day and age some people don't believe it. I've just accepted some people will never believe.

Maybe climate change will not impact any of us, but I think about our grandkids and future generations. I am an optimist, and I think we can do things to make an impactful change.

Thanks for providing this example of how Big Science, corporate interests, and the medical mafia worked together to propagate another crime on humanity.
They took a natural product (Tobacco), manufactured it into a consumer product using addictive ingredients, used Bernays and his ilk to convince folks it was the right thing to do, and raked-in billions of dollars poisoning people.
"They" didn't admit to their BS science, and did everything they could to lie to the people, while trying to keep revenue streams going.
-
We should trust these scammers to tell the truth about the climate, or anything?

Al Gore and tobacco.

posted on Dec, 29 2017 @ 11:38 PM
link   

Gave you a Flag for the opening statement, was hoping for a drop-down list of examples to follow up... pictures or it isn't happening!

posted on Dec, 29 2017 @ 11:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Byrd

Would LOVE to read an article/thread on your information.

posted on Dec, 30 2017 @ 12:09 AM
link   
There is plenty of evidence for climate change. Republicans are against science and the scientific method because it goes against their traditionalist policies.

Eventually, climate change will become obvious, and at that point, Republicans will switch from denying it is happening at all to denying that it is man-made.

Republicans will probably also try to shut down any scientific institutions that are doing research on the topic if they can.
edit on 30amSat, 30 Dec 2017 00:10:07 -0600kbamkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2017 @ 09:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: darkbake
There is plenty of evidence for climate change. Republicans are against science and the scientific method because it goes against their traditionalist policies.

Eventually, climate change will become obvious, and at that point, Republicans will switch from denying it is happening at all to denying that it is man-made.

Republicans will probably also try to shut down any scientific institutions that are doing research on the topic if they can.

Science is based on observation. Galileo proved thousands of years of scientific consensus wrong when he dropped two balls from the top of the tower of Pisa. And he didn't even have a university degree. Scientific consensus is politics, not science. Observation is science. There is no observed climate change caused by humans.
edit on 30-12-2017 by afatos because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2017 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Climate change of the planet is slow-developing, world-wide event. Pointing to a cold front and claiming climate change is bunk is embracing ignorance. There is no doubt that CO2 levels, land and ocean temperatures -over all- have risen since the advent of the industrial age. Many choose to believe that it makes more sense that we happen to hit that cyclic change of the planets climate - but we are at 11,000 years of an interglacial period. If anything it should be growing colder.

I guess it's just more convenient to just assume there is a great coincidence with the raise in CO2 / temps and the raise of the industrial age, than to have to deal with the burden of thinking humankind might be (at least partly) at fault for it. The funny thing is, we probably could create much more effective fuels - but the multi-trillion dollar gas and oil market keeps a lot of fat cats happy, so.. they are going to push it until that well has tried up. An alternative would be healthier for the entire planet and all that live on it. But naw.. too much work, too much money involved.

It's terribly ironic that those who think climate change is a huge hoax to make "so much money", is ridiculously trivial to the amount of money those in the gas and oil industries make. You think they are looking out for your best interest?

As far as "age of dinosaurs" goes, the planet was much different. The sun was quite a bit dimmer - there was less energy reaching the planet. Continents were in different locations. You can't compare 60 to 230 million years ago to now - completely different situation.

posted on Dec, 30 2017 @ 12:32 PM
link   
I'll believe your story if you are willing to pay my carbon tax...

posted on Dec, 30 2017 @ 12:42 PM
link   
I think we can all agree humans have some affect on our climate. Whether it is small chipping away or we are responsible for the vast majority of it is where all these debates sit.

One thing to remember is mother nature with a giant sweeping hand can change anything we have done for the last 150 years.

Our little ice that lasted from about 1400AD to about 1850s shows us what a few volcanoes mixed with solar minimums and maybe ocean currents can do very quickly.

edit on 30-12-2017 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2017 @ 01:04 PM
link   

The sun determines the climate cycles. Global Warming is a Tax Scam, pure and simple.

posted on Dec, 30 2017 @ 01:32 PM
link   

You hit the nail on the head, it's called climate change and it's changing quick-however the oceans will heat up.

A few years back we didn't have two summers, it was all rain although this year it's been bone dry- when I was in high school you could set your watch to the summer afternoon storms, now we get storms in the morning.

It's frightening how quick hurricanes, typhoons etc can form, and as i've said before when a warm water current and a low pressure system love each other very much... storms are getting stronger so do the math.

posted on Dec, 30 2017 @ 02:51 PM
link   
a reply to: ManBehindTheMask

Weather is not climate.

posted on Dec, 30 2017 @ 02:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: richapau

Weather is not climate.

Can't have climate without weather.

posted on Dec, 30 2017 @ 06:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: EvidenceNibbler

originally posted by: richapau

Weather is not climate.

Can't have climate without weather.

Can't have weather without climate.

posted on Dec, 30 2017 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Some simpletons can only understand the term global warming with extra hot in summer, not the weather instability or long term slow climate changes.

yet other simpletons can only understand weather as being affected by man made influences rather than long term weather patterns

posted on Dec, 31 2017 @ 04:42 AM
link   

What makes me sad is that there are millions of simpletons who are too stupid to understand that "Climate Change" it's always happening, and it is completely natural... By renaming it to "climate change" the AGW religious lunatics can now claim "everything climate related is caused by mankind" which is an idiotic argument in itself.
edit on 31-12-2017 by ElectricUniverse because: add comment.

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 09:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy

But it is acceptable to blame climate change every time a hurricane rolls through or when California has another wildfire?

Doesn’t help the cause when they blame an Earthquake on climate change.

Global warming won’t just change the weather—it could trigger massive earthquakes and volcanoes
qz.com...

I guess they never stopped to think a more active earth had a hotter crust that heated the atmosphere. Not a hotter atmosphere causes a more active crust?

Or the false predictions to get people panicked, and on the global climate change religion train....

www.thegatewaypundit.com...

NINE YEARS AGO THIS MONTH—
Al Gore predicted the North Polar Ice Cap would be completely ice free in five years.

Gore made the prediction to a German audience in 2008. He told them that “the entire North ‘polarized’ cap will disappear in 5 years.”

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Personally, I think climate changes but not due to humans.

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 11:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: neutronflux
Or the false predictions to get people panicked, and on the global climate change religion train....

www.thegatewaypundit.com...

NINE YEARS AGO THIS MONTH—
Al Gore predicted the North Polar Ice Cap would be completely ice free in five years.

Gore made the prediction to a German audience in 2008. He told them that “the entire North ‘polarized’ cap will disappear in 5 years.”

Did you read your own link?

It says not the hyperbolic lie you claim, nor the gross distortion the article maintains in its headline:

Former Vice President Al Gore references computer modeling to suggest that the north polar ice cap may lose virtually all of its ice within the next seven years. “Some of the models suggest that there is a 75 percent chance that the entire north polar ice cap, during some of the summer months, could be completely ice-free within the next five to seven years,” says Gore.

The article also leaves out something immediately following that statement, which you hear if you watch the actual presentation at about 1hr 20min:

...Bob used a figure of 2030...

The 2030 figure is the later projection; to wit, what Gore is actually claiming is a range for some summer months being ice-free in the Arctic - 5 years from the next summer (since that's when ice extent is lowest and this video was after minimum extent for 2009) at the absolute worst-case projection with a lower confidence - all the way up to 2030.

Further, this is a politician talking about science, so it is unsurprising that he gets the worst-case actual projection slightly wrong, which is that Arctic ice could fall below 1 million km^2 in the summer months by 2016 ± 3 years. That's 2013 to 2019... a range, not a singular year.

The actual range projected for some ice-free period of summer during the Arctic is thus 2013 to 2030.

Please stop falling for propaganda and continuing the lie. Here's how you are doing this:
1) You and the article leave out that this projection is for some summer months, when the ice is its thinnest - it already gets down to about 4 million km^2 these days at minimum extent.
2) You leave out the context - that this is the absolute worst-case projection - there are other projections, and he even mentioned a much later projection for summer ice-free Arctic in the next sentence that is conveniently left out.
3) By weaving misinformation, incomplete information, and outright lies - you claim he is lying.

If you have any sense of decency, own up to the fact that you were deceived by The Gateway Pundit in this, among other sources.
edit on 11Mon, 01 Jan 2018 11:30:46 -0600America/ChicagovAmerica/Chicago1 by Greven because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join