It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BLM activist turned Missouri lawmaker has still not resigned!

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2017 @ 01:19 PM
link   
I find it to be an interesting question; where do you draw the line between inciting violence or hatred, making threats and just "spouting off"

So, it is being argued that this person didn't really do anything wrong because they said "I hope that somebody assassinates him" (or words to that effect) and didn't actually say they would or actually outright call for it

So what if a Muslim cleric stood up in the mosque and said "gee, I sure hope someone round here blows themselves up in a shopping centre"

What if a scary looking white dude said "gee, I sure hope that other scary looking white dudes get together and send those black/Hispanic/Asians back where they came from"

Or a police chief said "I sure hope that police officers specifically target black people for stop and search"

What if, in any of the above scenarios, people actually went out and did those things? Would we say that the ones publicly 'hoping' for those things were innocent of any wrongdoing?

Genuine question...

Personally, I think people should be able to say whatever they like.. i don't think this person should resign. If they are an elected official then folks will have the opportunity to have their say about the comments come election time.

I'm just curious where others draw the line..

edit on 30-12-2017 by Indrasweb because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2017 @ 08:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Indrasweb

where do you draw the line between inciting violence or hatred, making threats and just "spouting off" [...]I'm just curious where others draw the line..

At the law. And what is legal regarding incitement of violence and true threats vs. free speech.

new topics

<< 1  2   >>

join