It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Thought for the New Year. Not Just Pixels on a Screen.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2017 @ 09:32 AM
link   
IDK how many times I've read, "Don't get upset, it's just pixels on a screen." I totally agree with the first part. Don't get upset. But those pixels form words. Words then form thoughts. We are sharing our thoughts with each other, for good or ill. We make connections online in communities like ATS. They can lead to friendships or rivalries. Depending on the individual absence can leave one wanting. I've been sick the last couple of weeks, not even going online and there are quite a few people here that I have missed.

ATS is a microcosm of society. If you've been here long enough you've seen it change as society has changed. And as in society you're going to come across the occasional a-hole. Those that thrive on confrontation. I don't mean those that are diametrically opposed philosophically. Those are rivalries and I've seen some go at it and chuckle with each other at times. I mean those that just have to butt heads over the most inane points. It's still not just pixels on a screen. But it can be dismissed.

It's not all doom and gloom though. I've also seen people become good friends here. Once you get outside of the political forums things become lighter and people become open to others thoughts. Hanging on BTS you see this frequently. Hey look, we are on BTS now.
We share our lives, the good and the painful here. We support each other. That is much more than pixels on a screen. These thoughts can help us in hard times. Make us chuckle in good ones. These times are better when shared with others.

So what's the point? I'm not sure I have one beyond:

posted on Dec, 29 2017 @ 10:04 AM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

Hey look, we are on BTS now. We share our lives, the good and the painful here. We support each other. That is much more than pixels on a screen. These thoughts can help us in hard times. Make us chuckle in good ones. These times are better when shared with others.

ATS has been a major source of inspiration for me over the years, I concur with your thoughts there wholeheartedly. To the point that sometimes I've logged on an been absolutely gutted that 'member x or y' has been banned. That part sucks because unless they PM me via a new account (if they can even be bothered creating a new one) I've lost what I consider a friend here. The part that sucks the most is when the older members who were regular contributors of really good threads have since stopped, some altogether.

Definitely not just screen pixels when familiarity and emotions are involved.

posted on Dec, 29 2017 @ 11:03 AM
link   

As you said ATS is a microcosm of society. That being the case, we are in for a rough road with the big influx of stormfronters and 4chan goons here to spread the "Make America White Again" hate speech ideology.

I still come but it's not nearly as much fun as it was. believe me!!

posted on Dec, 29 2017 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Sorry to hear of your illness and sorrier this thread isn't onto its 6th page already. God knows a skitch more kindness is needed in these parts.

A ceasefire ain't happening round here. Amnesty neither. Let's make the effort instead to be nicer and not forget a real person sits behind the "pixels on a screen."

The mods need to applaud this OP.

posted on Dec, 29 2017 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Sorry, been busy lately.

Still have a Christmas to go here ...

People really should spend more time hanging out in the less contentious threads where people are just people and not discussing politics and religion and other similar things.

It helps to get to know the ones you're debating with as more than just ideology X or Y but as people with pets or food preferences or hobbies and families, etc., harder to be mean when you know you've got a person on the other end of your topic.

top topics

join