It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will the #MeToo movement lead to unprecedented sexual discrimination?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 11:00 PM
link   

In Silicon Valley, some male investors have declined one-on-one meetings with women, or rescheduled them from restaurants to conference rooms. On Wall Street, certain senior men have tried to avoid closed-door meetings with junior women. And in TV news, some male executives have scrupulously minded their words in conversations with female talent.

In interviews, the men describe a heightened caution because of recent sexual harassment cases, and they worry that one accusation, or misunderstood comment, could end their careers. But their actions affect women’s careers, too — potentially depriving them of the kind of relationships that lead to promotions or investments.

It’s an unintended consequence of a season of sex scandals. Research shows that building genuine relationships with senior people is perhaps the most important contributor to career advancement. In some offices it’s known as having a rabbi; researchers call it sponsorship. Unlike mentors, who give advice and are often formally assigned, sponsors know and respect people enough that they are willing to find opportunities for them, and advocate and fight for them.
mobile.nytimes.com...

This is another reason to give up on society. Powerful men are in an unwinnable situation. If they deal with women in private on the job, they risk their careers and possibly everything they have. If they don't deal with women in private on the job, they may be labeled as sexually discriminating against women.

The problem is that they are sexually discriminating against women. There is no doubt about it. It's an open and shut case.

How does one deal with such a situation? My conclusion is not to participate. I see no way to win here.

This is increasingly the situation in society. No one wins. Winning is impossible.

Welcome to hell.

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 11:08 PM
link   
What a great and ingenious way to discredit and demonise the #MeToo movement, as well as turn people off the idea of supporting them in future...

Really, really clever!

The use of FEAR, in an attempt to plant a seed of doubt, will likely be a very successful strategy among many...

Wall Street & Silicon Valley...
Two of the most prominent bastions of righteousness...

I’m sure they had no influence in the production and distribution of this NYTimes propaganda.
None at all... I’m sure of it!

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 11:09 PM
link   
Cameras and lawyers in the bare room.

Trust is out the window.

No parties with booze. Chaperones and more cameras.

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 11:15 PM
link   
I try not to even look at women at work, to speak nothing of actually talking to them--out of the question unless absolutely unavoidable. They've all got chips on their shoulders and will make your life a living hell if you cross one.

And of course, they have the full support of the institution behind them.

It's insane. I've witnessed multiple careers ruined by the slightest appearance of impropriety coupled with a vindictive bitch they pissed off.

It's terrifying.

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 11:15 PM
link   
a reply to: antiantonym

When I am coaching softball I make sure I am never alone with any of the girls. I know in the current business climate I would never want to be alone with a female colleague with all of the BS going on right now. You simply can't put yourself in that kind of situation.

Welcome to the new Feminist utopia.

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 11:21 PM
link   
i'm playing the world's tiniest violin for y'all... hope you enjoy

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 11:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: fiverx313

Who, the women that the article is saying are being negatively impacted by this?

Wow thats pretty callous of you.

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 11:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grambler

Who, the women that the article is saying are being negatively impacted by this?

god you're humorous. don't you ever get tired of being so damn funny?

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 11:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grambler

god you're humorous. don't you ever get tired of being so damn funny?

Well I didn't even intend that to be funny.

But thanks for the compliment. And no, I rather like being funny when I am, and dont really get tired of it.

Anyway, go on explaining how you are playing a violin for women who will now have trouble advancing in the work place because of this reaction to the me too movement.

I am interested in why you would mock them like that.
edit on 28-12-2017 by Grambler because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 11:31 PM
link   
In the Tech field myself and have worked with thousands of woman in very high places: Time & Life, Merck, Schering Plough, American Home Products, McGraw-Hill, Scholastic, Wall Street Journal, ABC news, Hachette magazines, major Banks, HP, Apple, IBM, hundreds of educational institutions and many more major corporations, and actually most of the clients are beautiful woman.

You’ll never ever hear a complaint about sexual harassment from me.,,,

YOU DO YOUR JOB!

You don’t go around touching, kissing, making passes at the female employees.

Those guys talking about curtailing business with woman are full of crap

link   
a reply to: Metallicus

There is a way to solve this.

Just feed it straight back.

Women harass men all the time. Comments such as "typical male." can come back and bite them equally on their arse.

It is about time that men started complaining.

Goose vs Gander and hi! ... I'm the Gander.

P

link   
Unfortunately, the #MeToo movement has been weaponized to be used for this.........

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 11:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: NthOther
I try not to even look at women at work, to speak nothing of actually talking to them--out of the question unless absolutely unavoidable. They've all got chips on their shoulders and will make your life a living hell if you cross one.

And of course, they have the full support of the institution behind them.

It's insane. I've witnessed multiple careers ruined by the slightest appearance of impropriety coupled with a vindictive bitch they pissed off.

It's terrifying.

Hmm...I'd be finding a different place of employment if I felt that terrified of my coworkers. How do you make it through each day if you're so frightened?

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 11:40 PM
link   
a reply to: NthOther

They've all...

Yep... sure...

Your types are the perfect targets for this bullsh*t article...

All of them. Can’t trust a single working woman. Not a single one. It’s therefore justified to discriminate and hinder their job prospects.

Jesus, from the outside it’s amazing to see how quickly some of you Americans will deem someone the enemy.
In this case, the entire fairer sex... I’m sure you all think your reasoning is based on solid logic as well, that makes it even more amazing.

It's terrifying.

Yep, I was right...
A very successful fear campaign.

Good luck with that.
That’s a sincere gesture too.

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 11:42 PM
link   
Well, I mean man vs woman seems to be the next logical step in the division equation...right?

edit on 28-12-2017 by JinMI because: Havn't been watching enough Sesame Street, spelling is hoooorible.

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 11:42 PM
link   
#MeToo

The problem isn't exclusive to women.

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 11:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Willtell
In the Tech field myself and have worked with thousands of woman in very high places: Time & Life, Merck, Schering Plough, American Home Products, McGraw-Hill, Scholastic, Wall Street Journal, ABC news, Hachette magazines, major Banks, HP, Apple, IBM,

Well that explains everything.

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 11:45 PM
link   
Ok, here is the thing:

In their zest to bring about awareness of sexual harassment, has now created a situation where it could cause new glass ceilings to be put up. People of the opposite sex do not want to mingle for fear of the wrong word, or the wrong action could be perceived as something else.

What the end result should be is that many are going to want to have witnesses present as to be there for the protection of the person. And the saddest thing is that it will not be too long women in positions of power may be finding this to be true for them as well.

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 11:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Hazardous1408

It's called "hyperbole" BRAH.

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 11:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Hazardous1408

Can't speak for you Brits, but over here, broad generalizations are all the rage. Given the scope of ATS threads, I'm surprised you havn't seen.

It's engineering. A tool. Moreover, it's working.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join