It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The long dark

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 09:12 PM
link   
I started playing this game about a year ago. The only objective of the game....is to stay alive.

I have been gaming for about 30 years now, and this is one of those few games that is immersive to the point that you just get lost in it. Its bleak and hopeless yet you don't want to give up. Highly recommended.

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 09:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: openminded2011
I started playing this game about a year ago. The only objective of the game....is to stay alive.

I have been gaming for about 30 years now, and this is one of those few games that is immersive to the point that you just get lost in it. Its bleak and hopeless yet you don't want to give up. Highly recommended.

I gave it a chance but the art direction looked too terrible and cheap. Then the promise of story mode came about and lies after lies started emerging about when it would be finished. In the end the story turned out to be garbage and hinterland studios will charge for extra seasons after already paying for an incomplete game. On top of all that, how hinterlands talks to their player base is truly disgusting.

I wouldn’t give hinterlands a dime after seeing what the development of the game has gone through this past two years.

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 11:03 PM
link   
I played it last summer, I got so immersed in it that I'd be sitting on my living room the the air conditioner blowing, as It was 107 degrees outside, and i'm sitting on my couch with a controller in my hands and a blanket around my shoulders.

I really liked it... the art really reminded me of "Firewatch" (Another game you might like if you're fond of "bleak, lonely, but with some tension" sorta games) and considering the minimalist art style it can look goddamn beautiful sometimes.

I already went through the first two story mode episodes, now i'm just waiting for the next couple.

I kinda suck at survival mode, I think 8 days has been the longest i've been able to stay alive so far.

posted on Dec, 29 2017 @ 01:13 AM
link   
a reply to: openminded2011

I was looking at this today. Never heard of it till today either.
Was searching for a survival sim to buy, but ended up getting State of decay.
Gonna look more into this game though, plus it's dirt cheap on Xbox right now also.

posted on Dec, 29 2017 @ 04:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheLotLizard

originally posted by: openminded2011

I gave it a chance but the art direction looked too terrible and cheap. Then the promise of story mode came about and lies after lies started emerging about when it would be finished. In the end the story turned out to be garbage and hinterland studios will charge for extra seasons after already paying for an incomplete game. On top of all that, how hinterlands talks to their player base is truly disgusting.

I wouldn’t give hinterlands a dime after seeing what the development of the game has gone through this past two years.

Isn´t it the same with all games, early access up to AAA titles?
This is since robber baron capitalism reached even the gaming scene!

I "own"(Steam xD) more than 15 of these so called "survival" games, mostly early access fantasy monster killer games where you can build a hut and have to eat, so that they can call a simple shooter game a survival game. If possible, i switched the monsters off, to have a survival, a stranded, a last man on earth feeling.

When i read what you wrote i had to think of 7 Days to Die and their Dev´s(or many Early Access Devs), it´s the same. Constructive critics from customers are not wished on their forum, you will get banned if you point to problems, bugs, not fixed things since the first alpha version(4 or 5 years ago), many empty promises and a "game" that is not worth 10Euros or Dollars. But they all tell you that they early access because they need the help of their customers, to find problems, bugs etc.

Some just raise the price midst alpha(not even beta) stage and sell their "product" as full version. Then you have 15, 20, 25% of a "game". If these hobby devs don´t do that, their games will stay forever in alpha stage, as you can see at many of these "games".

And it feels that the AAA studios saw that you don´t have anything else to do than to fool the customers totally and got worse since Steams early access scam idea. Now even the AAA studios don´t have to sell complete games anymore. They sell...let´s say Beta versions now, 25% of a game as a full version for, let´s say 60 Euro(former consolero game prices). But if you want the rest of your "full version", buy DLCs and season passes for 15, 20, 30 or more Euros. So you are at a price of 100 or more Euros, for a game that isn´t worth 20 Euros. Because games nowadays are not worth more than than 20 Euros anymore.

But hey, maybe...if I would be a game dev, i would act the same. Why not become rich with almost no effort? If enough stupid people with big, big wallets are ot there, that like, love to be fooled and never learn from their mistakes.... Who knows if I wouldn´t do the same?

But i learned after buying too many of these survival games, ending up having not one real survival game(because there is no real survival game out there), as i understand survival. And that is not surviving, fighting any fantasy monsters the whole time. I had to build my own Arma3 Exile server and mod the hell out of it, to have a more realistic and way better survival feeling in a game than all these "survival" games together promise.

I read about The Long Dark, it was on my list. But i hate snow, winter, cold weather and stuff like that. Plus i read some well written, negative reviews. For me, the graphics(i know that is not the most important thing, if a game is fun it can have graphics from 1999, for a while...) and the fact that you can´t craft, build something, that you are not free with your decisions but follow a given path and that you will die, die, die and die, after you died, made me not buy it. If i see it for 2,99 in a Steam sale maybe and if i coincidentally have 3 Euros on my account, then i maybe will buy it. But i am afraid that it ends up like all the other early access, "survival games" in my steam library, not played anymore.

Nowadays it´s better to wait at least one or two years after release of any game, to buy it as a game of the year edition or as a cheap package with all DLCs, in a steam sale or at a steam key shop. If you do it like this, many bugs and gamebreakers maybe are fixed, too. I will never ever pay more than 20 Euros for a game in my life. I even was thinking about going back to the good old childhood times, where you just "borrowed" every game from the web...

posted on Dec, 29 2017 @ 05:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: Macenroe82
a reply to: openminded2011

I was looking at this today. Never heard of it till today either.
Was searching for a survival sim to buy, but ended up getting State of decay.
Gonna look more into this game though, plus it's dirt cheap on Xbox right now also.

If you are looking for a survival s i m u l a t o r, look for UnReal World:

I came to the conclusion that you can have a first person view game with nice graphics, but then it will be as much "survival" as in Rust or 7 Days to Die or all these "games". Or you can have have a bit more real survival game mechanics, but without first person view and good graphics.

Thinking about paying for it(it`s hard to say buy on Steam, because i get nothing more then the rights to play the games there), maybe it is worth it. Many years of work in it. But on the other side I ask myself why i spend a lot of money for Mainboards, CPUs, GPUs and Ram if i have to play games that look from the early 1990´s?

But in the hope for just one survival game, i will maybe try it, there is some days left on steam winter sale...

new topics

top topics

join