It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Bill Proposes Indianapolis Colts Refund Fans For Kneeling During National Anthem

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 07:49 PM
link   

“To me when they take a knee during the national anthem, it’s not respecting the national anthem or our country,” Smith added.

“Our government isn’t perfect, but it’s still the best country in the world and I think we need to be respectful of it.”

The team came under fire on October 8th when Vice-President Pence walked out of the Indianapolis Colts-San Francisco 49ers game after nearly two dozen 49ers kneeled during the National Anthem.
www.thegatewaypundit.com...

I don't understand the huge controversy about athletes taking a knee during the national anthem. I see it as being no different than what politicians do when they go on television to criticize the government. The players are using the best method they have to get their messages out just like the politicians do.

I suppose people will say that it's a politician's job to criticize government. That's a good point, but free speech can't be dependent on one's job in a free society.

An important thing that people seem to forget is that standing for the national anthem means nothing if it's forced on athletes. If standing for the national anthem is a routine part of one's job, then it no longer has any relationship to patriotism or loyalty to one's country. It then becomes no different than doing any other routine activity that is part of a person's job. Patriotism and loyalty must be given voluntarily, or those things mean nothing.

I think athletes should just stay in the locker room during the national anthem. Everyone would probably be happy then.
edit on 28-12-2017 by antiantonym because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 07:53 PM
link   
a reply to: antiantonym

Looks like some politician didn't read the First Amendment again.

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Wow, I'm going to buy season tickets next year, attend every game then demand a refund at the end of the year on the basis that people kneeling hurt my feelings. Free season tickets? Hell yeah!

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Now myself living in Indiana have been a colts fan for many years.
Having said that I agree that the colts should refund ticket money.
But only because of the way they have played this season.

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 08:05 PM
link   
not a fan of the kneeling, but I support their right to do it.

This lawsuit is garbage.

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 08:06 PM
link   
I haven't watched any football this year.

And I really don't miss it.

As for this? It's stupid.

People should be free to make a bowel movement on the flag if that's what they want.

If we started making laws against stupidity, then everyone in DC and Hollywood would be in jail.

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Indiana needs to pass a bill that takes away all pay from lawmakers that ignore the constitution.

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Stoopid begets stoopid.

It was stoopid to tick off so many fans using a method that didn't focus attention on the actual cause they were protesting. To most people watching, it seemed they were protesting the United States due to the timing. I know it did to me, and it still does. It would be a lot more effective if they had bought a single commercial before kickoff to state their case. Everyone would know what was being protested, and no massive blowback... not to mention if the owners were sympathetic, they could have gotten a serious discount on the air time.

It is also stoopid to pass a law that requires a refund for something that the fans can handle simply through a boycott (which I believe is already happening?). Laws are for equitable trade; the fans may have been offended, but they did still get to watch the game. If they were offended badly enough, they can stop going to the games, or they can still go if not badly offended. I could understand a forced refund if the players refused to play, but not because the players simply did something before the game that was offensive.

Me? I don't need a law. Someone on my Panthers team kneeled this year, so I haven't watched any NFL games and won't buy any of their merchandise. Done. No drama required.

TheRedneck

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 08:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Looks like some politician didn't read the First Amendment again.

Looks to me that nobody reads Nuttin' anymore....is that an excuse, or just fashionable, until the next craze.

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 08:28 PM
link   
Several things:

If this bill passes, then it has to survive the court battle that will ensue from it. And if the state loses the battle, once again it will now be forced to deal with the lose of business and the hundreds of thousands of dollars on losing the lawsuit that would be argued up to the US Supreme court over it.

But if I was the owner of the team and this bill was gaining traction, then there would be a choice made, stay and fight it, or simply move from the state. I am sure the NFL would support said move, and there would be other states that would welcome in a professional sports team in to be there. This would be another economic hit to the state and would give some other businesses the idea of moving and going to other states.

The thing is that if you do or do not agree with this, it is a form of speech. Just cause a person is a celebrity, or elected, or the CEO of a company does not mean that they lose the various rights that are framed in the constitution of the USA. It may be modified, as in the case of say the military or the police, but ultimately they all still have the freedom of speech.

And the one thing that no one seems to be looking at is that while this is a form of speech and protest, it is one that is silent, no one is disrupting the national anthem. And there is no violence there, no one is trampling or destroying the flag. And for that we should back them, for a peaceful, quiet protest that people notice and ultimately should be talking about why they are doing such and considering the reasons for such and if there is basis for such.

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Imagine the precedent this would set.

I went to farm aid this year, and it was awesome.

Some of my friends that were there work gaslines.

Imagine if Willy Nelson would have said "lets help the environment by eliminating fracking!"

Are my friends now entitled to their money back?

edit on 28-12-2017 by Grambler because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 08:39 PM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

So you don’t like the fact that our right to protest is being snuffed??? You must be a FOX viewer.

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 08:40 PM
link   

LMAO!

What a waste of time.

Oh yeah, the gateway pundit

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Is the kneeling Constitutional ?
Is it moral ? No
Does it help their cause ? No
Does it turn fans from the game ? Yes
Is it showboating ? I believe so.
Some of those very players appear to take knee often enough during the game

Started by a failing QB whose ratings were dropping like a rock and about to be out of a job.
But now , he can write books.
Think folks.

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Snowflakey triggered bitches, do not understand the First..get over it.

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 08:59 PM
link   
The kneeling for the anthem and standing for god save the queen made me turn off the nfl and have not missed it.

But this is 7 levels of stupid, and anyone that took a hand in crafting or supporting it should probably not breed, and should read the 1st.

On the flip side the few times I have tuned into espn to catch other sports I have seen folks saying how I do not have the right to criticize those protesting, I really wish they would read the 1st again as well.

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 09:05 PM
link   
the only problem I have with it is that they are expressing their personal political views while on the job. try expressing your personal political or religious views to the public while on the job where you work and see how fast they fire your ass.

just think of how chaotic it would be if every was allowed to do that. in the middle of a newscast the newscaster starts spouting his personal political or religious views on the air, or in the middle of a flight the pilot gets on the intercom and starts spouting his personal political or religious views,or in the middle of a football game the announcer starts spouting his personal political or religious views.

The newscaster,the pilot and the game announcer would be fired before the sunset.

nfl players are using nfl airtime,while they are on the job to express their personal political views to a wide audience at the expense of the networks and advertisers. how many average citizens have that luxury to express their personal political views to a wide audience while on the job and at someone else`s expense?

even politicians have to pay for airtime during elections to express their personal political views to a wide audience.

everyone has the right to express their personal views, on their own time!

I don`t watch nfl football anymore because it has become too political,i didn`t watch for the politics I watched to see the game, I have very little interest in politics which is why I stopped watching the news over 30 years ago.

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 09:28 PM
link   
The football players who do not respect the country that allows them to rape the fans with their high contract costs should be held responsible to repay the fans. This kind of action would not be allowed in any European country without consequences. Most countries in the world would disband the people. Our rights will protect us from being charged with a crime but not civil liability. This action does not go against the constitution.

How would the Democrats have taken it if these players did this against Obama because they did not like his policies? They would have pushed for laws to stop it.

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 09:29 PM
link   
a reply to: bluechevytree

I think professional athletes are entertainers, and entertainers are almost expected to make a political stand these days. They do it in every way imaginable, and sometimes it really hurts their art.

I have no problem with NFL players doing any kind of protesting, but what really bothers is seeing talented artists ruining their art by making it political.

From what I've read, U2 ruined their latest album by making it too political.

www.rollingstone.com...

Now THAT bothers me! We'll only have so many more U2 albums!

As a Katy Perry fan, seeing her make a fool of herself over politics bothers me too.

www.youtube.com...

I see NFL players as being entertainers just like those last two examples, and I see no difference whatsoever between any entertainers discussing politics "on the job." If they think it's important, I think they should do it.
edit on 28-12-2017 by antiantonym because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 10:02 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

exactly, would it be ok for nfl players and government employees to wear KKK armbands to work when Obama was president? to express their personal views?

new topics

<<   2  3 >>

join