It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Professors claim farmers’ markets cultivate racism

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2017 @ 09:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: Tarzan the apeman.
a reply to: SlapMonkey

Professors these days are pretty much educated idiots. Who are they speaking for other than themselves. They must take special meds.

Agreed. It's very hard to find an intelligent professor in college these days. Yes, they are all smart in their selected fields, but true intelligence is a rare commodity in a college professor.

posted on Dec, 29 2017 @ 09:47 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Yeah...I can't remember if I kept it in the OP or not, but growing up in SoCal-ish (Kern County) and being surrounded by farmland and farmers markets, I can attest to the reality that most of the people who would frequent them, at least back in the 80s and 90s, were Hispanic, at least in my experiences. I can only assume (and verify, but on very few occasions) that the markets in San Diego are similar, if not frequented by a higher percentage of minorities than ones where I grew up.

posted on Dec, 29 2017 @ 10:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

Actually, that's part of the irony in an of itself: California as a state is relatively unaffordable for most people, ESPECIALLY places like San Diego.

These professors are probably so tunnel-visioned and narrow-minded that they don't even consider simple concepts like this as they're deriding the effect of farmers markets.

posted on Dec, 29 2017 @ 10:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse

This rumor must be funded by commercial producers and some in the agriculture and USDA agencies who are tied to the commercial markets somehow.

Now you make me want to see if this was funded by Monsanto

posted on Dec, 29 2017 @ 10:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus
Well, to be fair, it's usually the artists ... who show up first, ...

You ain't lyin'!

I work with artists daily, and one of them moved into a neighborhood west of Cincinnati called Northside, which is a relatively poor, 'hood type of area. She was one of the first families to move into new, larger homes built on top of old torn-down, abandoned housing.

Not more than a month after moving in, she got a call from her scared son saying that he had heard gun shots in the alleyway behind their house. Sure enough, they experienced living right next to their first murder.

Needless to say, they have since put up security cameras, but that's not going to stop something bad from happening, it'll just help the police know who did it after the fact.

I'm sorry, but I could never put my family in that position willingly.
edit on 29-12-2017 by SlapMonkey because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2017 @ 01:18 PM
link   
a reply to: [post=22991201]SlapMonkey[/postI

wonder how these folks think of that study
www.groundworkmke.org...

posted on Dec, 29 2017 @ 01:20 PM
link   

I just got back from the Racist Market. Picked up some great local sausage and making some bad ass cassoulet tonight while serving it with a side of white guilt.

posted on Dec, 29 2017 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Well that sounds mighty white of ya

posted on Dec, 29 2017 @ 01:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: darepairman
Well that sounds mighty white of ya

I'm the whitest white guy you'll ever meet. I have so much accumulated privilege that I loan it out to people who are just mostly white.

posted on Dec, 29 2017 @ 01:26 PM
link   
a reply to: darepairman

They wouldn't. They'd ignore it, as it defies some obviously cherished notions.

posted on Dec, 29 2017 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Ya I am pigment deficient myself and I had to build a shed to store my white privelige in and its really full

posted on Dec, 29 2017 @ 01:42 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

sadly enough

link   
a reply to: seagull

double

edit on 29-12-2017 by darepairman because: (no reason given)

link   
a reply to: darepairman

My privilege up and moved into a cabin because it's a bit of a sellout.

posted on Dec, 29 2017 @ 01:44 PM
link   

That's pretty funny, mine keeps giving me the finger

posted on Dec, 29 2017 @ 02:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: SlapMonkey
Yes, ladies and gents, farmers markets are a piece of the gentrification pie, according to these authors. Keep in mind, if you will, that these authors are geology professors, so who better to discuss the whiteness of farmers markets and how it applies to gentrification, correct?

Well there is something to be said about 'gentrification' putting poor folk out on the street, but I think I'd rather question the truthiness of a newspaper that doesn't know the difference between geology and geography. Looks like manufactured white outrage, to me.

posted on Dec, 29 2017 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Absolutely ridiculous. Back in my home turf, a big portion of those hawking their produce at the markets (and at the U-pick farms) are Hispanics and there are a great many Vietnamese farmers as well.

But I suppose none of that counts as it flies in the face of these professor's conclusions.

I wish I could muster so much indignant outrage at various other races on a daily basis. It must be such an energizing thing to partake in based on how often it happens these days.

posted on Dec, 29 2017 @ 02:10 PM
link   
a reply to: JohnnyCanuck

Gentrification does not put people out on the streets. If anything, it builds up the urban area, increases property taxes which means more money for programs to help the poor. St Pete Florida is a perfect example. 25 years ago the homes that now go for 6 figures were crack houses and # holes. Literally.

It turned that entire city around and they were able to use the monies to rebuild the "southside' which is 99% black. Beautiful new schools, etc. The gentrification argument is not valid just like farmers markets are not racist.
edit on Decpm31pmf0000002017-12-29T14:14:32-06:000232 by matafuchs because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2017 @ 02:20 PM
link   
I'm white and buy almost all my produce at farmers markets. I went out and bought a big "R" to pin to my chest to show off my racism.

Attacks on white society is only a few dingbats who should never be able to have any work published. Of course the right white claims that these idiots represent all people who are white and liberal.

I am at the point where I can't take the stupidity much longer.

posted on Dec, 29 2017 @ 02:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: matafuchs
a reply to: JohnnyCanuck

Gentrification does not put people out on the streets.
Fact is, that gentrification generates displacement. If that is factored into the process, then everybody comes out ahead, as in the case you offered. If a city council is controlled by the development industry, then the needs of the urban poor are most often ignored. I've watched homelessness result as trendy, funky working class neighbourhoods are overtaken by condos and chain stores.
That does not change the fact that there are people in this thread who are challenging the whole issue on the basis of "What do geologists know about societal problems?", because the morons at the Washington Times don't know the difference between geology and geography.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join