It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Professors claim farmers’ markets cultivate racism

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 02:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: worldstarcountry
a reply to: SlapMonkey
Wow those are some racist ass professors. Don't alot of farmers markets accept food stamps??? How would that be detrimental to the community, bringing nutritional diverse food selections to them they can still purchase with government assistance?

Some do, some don't. In my area, it's about 50/50. And, because the health department likes when people eat healthy produce rather than chips and soda, if you call them and tell them you can't get to one that does SNAP, they'll work with you to try and get you to and from your residence to one of the markets that does.

I know, I know: that's an odd way to be racist and against low-income people, but that's how my county rolls I guess.

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 02:22 PM
link   

But they're the only places I can get pure white corn and pure white bread..../sarcasm

Sad that actual time and money were spent on this study and research....

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 02:23 PM
link   
So a white family moves out, and its white flight. A white family moves in, and its gentrification. Got it.

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 02:23 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Hey, man. The potatoes can be many colors, too.

Purple, red, tan...

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 02:25 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Absolutely. There are a couple of supermarkets here that actually carry good produce, some of it is even local...though much of that is seasonal obviously, but I much prefer the farmers market for that very reason, I get to know the farmers.

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 02:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: FauxMulder
Funny thing is, one of the farms is owned by a black family. He must be racist too.

Is that Tom's Farmers Market?

Close, it's Uncle Tom's Produce and Racism.

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 02:31 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Actually, the one I go to takes credit/debit cards via that dongle thing that plugs into an iPhone.

I totally agree that fresh and organic is better. I find the prices about equal and sometimes better. Helping the farmers out seems like a no-brainer. I end up the winner! It is a shame when October rolls around because that signals the end of the outdoors market.

Yeah, farmers markets are racist! They sell purple potatoes, yellow squash, brown eggs, and white asparagus! We need to pass a law. Somebody think about the children!!

Egads, more better things to talk about like being screwed over by the new tax plan until the next guy to hate gets elected and starts a new one such that I thought the OP was a joke. I don't know about other farmer's markets but there is a wide cross section of people being served at my local one. Young couples, olderish people, new faces, old friends, all being treated with decency and enjoying their time shopping. It is not just old white people.

Tin foil hat time: Was the OP article funded by big agra? Maybe the eastern supermarket syndicate?

Leave it to the Washington Post to stir the pot!

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Interesting that they mention farmers markets being unaffordable.

I have found that not only am I getting better produce and meats in many cases, but also better prices than the local supermarket. Granted the farmers market has items you typically don't find at an average supermarket like very exotic mushrooms, non-mass produced cheeses and locally-sourced specialty meats but the standard fare is very approachable price wise as the overhead is lower and you're cutting out the middle people.

My local farmers market has deals daily; I just got 2lbs of 85/15 chuck for 4$ and it was the best ground beef I'd ever had. They routinely sell chicken breasts for about 1.88 a pound. They do also have all organic and grass fed stuff too, not even any more expensive.

No place is cheaper with better quality food than a proper farmers market. The lines are always out of the door and it's always so packed it's hard to move around in, but they do a great job at even giving away food for free just to get people in the doors. They had a bounce house and an entire parkinglot BBQ for christmas where all the food was free.

This article is totally ridiculous.

link   

Professors claim farmers’ markets cultivate racism: ‘Habits of white people are normalized’

Sooo, white people aren't normal?

link   

originally posted by: seagull
Absolutely. There are a couple of supermarkets here that actually carry good produce, some of it is even local...though much of that is seasonal obviously, but I much prefer the farmers market for that very reason, I get to know the farmers.

Even for me, who was in the biz for many years, can get excited when the farmers market has the coolest seasonal items like ramps, squash blossoms or chanterelles.

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 02:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: SRPrime
My local farmers market has deals daily; I just got 2lbs of 85/15 chuck for 4$ and it was the best ground beef I'd ever had. They routinely sell chicken breasts for about 1.88 a pound. They do also have all organic and grass fed stuff too, not even any more expensive.

No place is cheaper with better quality food than a proper farmers market. The lines are always out of the door and it's always so packed it's hard to move around in, but they do a great job at even giving away food for free just to get people in the doors. They had a bounce house and an entire parkinglot BBQ for christmas where all the food was free.

This article is totally ridiculous.

Those are excellent prices and I completely agree with your sentiments.

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 02:40 PM
link   

This just goes to show that sometimes academics are the stupidest people.

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 02:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: pavil

Professors claim farmers’ markets cultivate racism: ‘Habits of white people are normalized’

That is actually really funny. I wonder what they would consider habits of other color people? Is being shot by a black person in Chicago normalized yet?

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 02:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

Can someone give me the abridged version of why "gentrification" is bad?

I guess they were tired of being made fun of for staring at rocks, and dove into the behavioral sciences fiction instead.

It is only bad in the sense that some people feel they are being pushed out of their neighborhoods by wealthier newcomers. The rents start increasing and the poorer residents have to move. Of course, you also get the culture clash where the newer residents don't tolerate the ghetto behaviors that were allowed to fester like loitering, drug dealing, etc. The old residents get mad that the newcomers often call the police or don't like them working on their car in street in front of their $400,000 condo.

I've done my time in the hood. I'd rather live in a gentrified community any day. Ain't nothing special about living in the ghetto.

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 02:44 PM
link   
I would think Farmers Markets are anti-racist since you can get your food without having to get is passed through a tiny hole in the bullet proof glass like they do in Philthadelphia.

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Lordy Lordy, all them White people and their Gentrification, renovating and raising property values, who do they think they are?

Oh Crap look, another one of "them" moved in, there go our property taxes rising again.

Sounds silly till you find out there are people who actually think like this.

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Lordy Lordy, all them White people and their Gentrification, renovating and raising property values, who do they think they are?

Well, to be fair, it's usually the artists and the gays who show up first, us crackers come later and reap the reward.

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Well, to be fair, it's usually the artists and the gays who show up first, us crackers come later and reap the reward.

LOL. If you ever want to know what the next hot neighborhood will be, follow gay white men...

Gentrification is kind of ironic in that eventually the people who actually made the area cool to begin with usually can no longer afford to live there. Often times the quirky stores and shops that spring up to serve the starving artists and other neighborhood pioneers get pushed out as commercial rents go higher and all the chain stores start moving in. Next thing you know, what once was a cool neighborhood that was unique starts to look like an urban version of a shopping mall with the same god-dang stores that are everywhere else.

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 02:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vasa Croe

That is actually really funny. I wonder what they would consider habits of other color people? Is being shot by a black person in Chicago normalized yet?

Some people think life should be a Fricken Olympic Village. You cater to the demographic you wish to have. Not some fake ideal. Most of the time, that demographic is people with good amounts of disposable income, regardless of skin color.

If a gentrifying white couple adopt a baby from a third world country, will that even out things? How about if they have a chicken coop?

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 02:55 PM
link   

I identify as an artist...must be why I am always ahead of the curve on hot properties....

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join