It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Xylitol and Dogs....EXTREME DANGER

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 11:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Lagomorphe

grovel
[gruhv-uh l, grov-]
verb (used without object), grov·eled, grov·el·ing or (especially British) grov·elled, grov·el·ling.

1.to humble oneself or act in an abject manner, as in great fear or utter servility.

2.to lie or crawl with the face downward and the body prostrate, especially in abject humility, fear, etc.

The term grovel, or groveling is a little strong here. It's not an inflection thing.

Have a nice day.

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Thanks for the kind words all. Just came home from the emergency animal hospital. His liver readings were so bad they have to dilute to actually get a reading. They are giving him a 50/50 chance at this point mostly because he is young. Said he will be there for 3-5 days. He is on something to flush the xylitol toxicity and a lot of glucose and fluids and a few other things for vomiting and blood coagulation.

Said he could heal up and the liver fix itself on the positive side. Negative is he could continue to worsen and die or have permanent liver damage for life.

Keeping my head up but really upset.

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 11:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

Crossing fingers..
Positive thoughts. 🙏🙏🙏

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Just got a call that he is having to get a couple bags of plasma now. This really sucks.

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 11:56 AM
link   

so sorry to hear this, i'll be thinking of you both and hoping for the best

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 12:07 PM
link   

I wouldn't blame you if you wanted to strangle your in laws, I have two cats that I adopted from a deceased neighbor then another neighbor tried to lure them in with food and the food might've been baited, I've made a thread about it. What sucks about your tale is your in laws should've been more vigilant.

It is painful to watch a pet suffer so i'll channel the force and send healing vibes to your pooch.

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 12:15 PM
link   

The liver is the one organ that can repair itself, so there is that. I hope he's young enough that he can pull through for you.

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 12:31 PM
link   
i look at packaging. if there are chemicals like X-thal whatever, i never buy.

if you need zero calorie sweetener, try STEVIA! i drink zevia soda all the time.

avoid chemicals like you should avoid the newz. its all poison.

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 12:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vasa Croe
Just got a call that he is having to get a couple bags of plasma now. This really sucks.

Thanks for the update. Vasa, I had a 19 pound wire fox terrier who ate a WHOLE large philly cheese steak pizza from dominoes. Her stomach felt like concrete. I called the vet to see if I should bring her in and he said "right now".

Her blood was also very thick, he said from all the fat in the cheese. The biggest threat was pancreatitis. Anyway, I had a chance of losing her. I honestly don't remember how she pulled through it, but she did.

I wish Ripley knew how many friends he has today, and well-wishers. If you can, try to go to the clinic and visit with him a little while. Let him know he's not alone.

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Thoughts and prayers for your family.
My grand-dog was lost to Xylitol poisoning on Valentine's Day this year. The kids still don't know how he got it since they're careful not to have it in their home.
Hoping that your next report will be a positive one!

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 05:48 PM
link   
I am thinking of you and your poor dog,VC..i m really really sad to read this,hoping like mad that Ripley will pull through!!! Thank you very much for warning us about this serious health hazard.I hope with all my heart Ripley makes it!!

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Hang in there pup.

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 06:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Lagomorphe

Hii Lags nice to see you around again.Yes its true,dogs and cats can be very sneaky and give one unpleasant surprises as to where they can reach.Especially cats and massive breeds like Danes.Our Dane puppy got into a trash bag,up on a trash holder on a pole, 5+half feet off the ground,and of course distributed the contents over the yard.We used to put the trashbags up there for collection if the actual bin was full.

There could have been harmful things in some of the trash items.Luckily he was fine,and we now keep the trash double bagged in the washroom if the bin outside the yard is so full that only the trash container on the pole is available.

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 06:06 PM
link   
I knew about Xylitol, my friend's dog ate a pack of gum with it once and had a vet stay for it some years back. The dog lived with no physical health impacts during or after eating it, but she was never quite right in the head afterward. It seems she (the dog) drew the short straw and got brain damage instead of liver damage.

When I was a tween, my late Geezer kitty was a naughty one. He got into my mom's purse and inhaled 6 chocolate bars one afternoon while we were outside. The purse was in her closet, he managed to get the folding closet door open through plain old perseverance. Nobody knew exactly when he did it, but the vet thinks several hours had passed, and by then, he was still perky & fine. They did flush his stomach for good measure, and he had an overnight stay, but talk about scaring the s# out of us. That cat ended up living into his 20's, and was ALWAYS nutso about chocolate, it was either in a very high cupboard he couldn't reach or in a dresser drawer. Period. But as soon as he smelled it, he always went a little whacko trying to get it.
edit on 12/28/2017 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 07:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy

I had a dog that ate about fifteen slices of gum containing xylitol. It had no effect on him, other than he pooped out a blue turd the next day.
He also got into a new unopened box of chocolate covered cherries and ate all of them... again, no ill effects.
One of his favorite foods was cheeseburgers with fried onions, until I found out that onions are supposed to be poisonous for dogs.

My German shephards can eat anything. I think some breeds especially the smaller ones cant eat what the big dogs can.

Sry To hear op. Hope your dog is fine..
edit on 28-12-2017 by notsure1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 08:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: notsure1

originally posted by: butcherguy

I had a dog that ate about fifteen slices of gum containing xylitol. It had no effect on him, other than he pooped out a blue turd the next day.
He also got into a new unopened box of chocolate covered cherries and ate all of them... again, no ill effects.
One of his favorite foods was cheeseburgers with fried onions, until I found out that onions are supposed to be poisonous for dogs.

My German shephards can eat anything. I think some breeds especially the smaller ones cant eat what the big dogs can.

Sry To hear op. Hope your dog is fine..

I'm not sure that holds true when it comes to toxins and poisons.

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 08:47 PM
link   
Just before getting 2nd plasma transfusion about 45 min ago. Still no change in blood levels and still a 50% chance. I appreciate all the good thoughts. He's a trooper and a awesome dog. Lots of tears tonight.

edit on 12/28/17 by Vasa Croe because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 08:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: ladyinwaiting

Thanks for the update. Vasa, I had a 19 pound wire fox terrier who ate a WHOLE large philly cheese steak pizza from dominoes. Her stomach felt like concrete. I called the vet to see if I should bring her in and he said "right now".

Her blood was also very thick, he said from all the fat in the cheese. The biggest threat was pancreatitis. Anyway, I had a chance of losing her. I honestly don't remember how she pulled through it, but she did.

I wish Ripley knew how many friends he has today, and well-wishers. If you can, try to go to the clinic and visit with him a little while. Let him know he's not alone.

Wishing for the best here.

Our dog had this thing for cheddar cheese. Her indoors was making some sandwiches with the ham/turkey/chicken slices, cucumber, lettuce, a plate of bread slices and a huge 500g block of cheese all laid out, when the phone rang. The dog clattered into the kitchen, sniffed the cheese, ran out and under the table with the whole block in her mouth. Wouldn't let anyone go near it.

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 08:55 PM
link   
If he lives, he likely ingested more xylitol than any dog I've been able to read about online. Ice Breakers Ice Cubes is what he got....Ate about 30 pieces. Each piece has 1.1gms of xylitol so he had about 30gm of it. Read about dogs dying from a single gm. It's heartbreaking to know something like this can kill him. It was a stocking stuffer for the kids for Christmas....they feel responsible and it hurts that they feel that way regardless of who was supposed to be in charge. I always put anything edible out of his reach. Emotions are running hot and cold with my in-laws, but they are paying for this whole thing at this point.

Sad part is my father in law actually had the nerve to ask if it was worth it. Could have ripped him a new one but decided to focus on my pup and think positive.
edit on 12/28/17 by Vasa Croe because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Sad part is my father in law actually had the nerve to ask if it was worth it.

Your avatar and I just shared the same expression reading that. Of course your buddy is always worth the money & effort to help, species doesn't matter one damn iota.
edit on 12/28/2017 by Nyiah because: Considering the thread, changing "one damn lick" to "one damn iota" seems considerate.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join