It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Woman hit with $248 billion electric bill

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 06:44 AM
link   
A Pennsylvania woman recieved a wonderful gift this Christmas from her local utility company.
The gift was a $284 billion electric bill....

I would think that her sphincter clenched when she opened that baby.

"She was told she had until November 2018 to pay the entire amount. Her first payment for December was only $28,156."

Of course it was a typo that was corrected after a phone call by her son.
The actual bill was $284.

nypost.com...
edit on 28-12-2017 by Bluntone22 because: Eta

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 06:46 AM
link   
I thought they ran on batteries.

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 06:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Wow... Typo? A typo?

This is a typo:

"Teh", instead of "the".

However, one does not find oneself in simple typo territory, when one adds TWELVE zeros to a document, especially when that document is a bill. This is not, therefore just a typo, but a "Keep this individual away from all forms of communications technology, for all of time, lest they accidentally bring about the damned apocalypse!" situation.

Imagine, if you will, the potential damage something like this could cause. A person with undiagnosed dementia, and a weak heart, reading this document could very well have been killed by the shock of it. It is just as well the individual to whom this bill was addressed, was not suffering in that particular manner, else they might well have dropped dead on the spot!

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 07:00 AM
link   

What sort of a busted-assed system is this service provider running such that no one or nothing flagged an invoice to the amount of many countries deficits?

You'd think the CFO would be alerted to such a financial transaction?

We're screwed once humans are 100% replaced in the workforce and we are left trying to convince the #in robots that I don't actually owe $284 Godzillion dollars!!

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 07:06 AM
link   
$284 is still pretty ridiculous.

Even in the summer with my ac blasting 24/7 my bill is never more than about $100

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 07:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Sublimecraft

We're screwed once humans are 100% replaced in the workforce and we are left trying to convince the #in robots that I don't actually owe $284 Godzillion dollars!

I would be forced to join facebook to drum up support to make it go viral - even to the point of drawing police attention to it as an direct threat to my "well being and security". I wonder how well we'd do trying that?

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 07:11 AM
link   

I'm just thinking about what goes though my own head, when I open up my quarterly electricity bill and find out their hitting me up for $600.

Mate, if I opened up a bill and saw what that lady saw, I'm thinking it would have resulted in a total melt down, of full blown psychotic proportions...

Best case scenario!

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 07:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Subaeruginosa

I would have had a meltdown if they goofed by one decimal space but this was so out of line I'm not sure what I would think.

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 07:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: watchitburn

Even in the summer with my ac blasting 24/7 my bill is never more than about $100

I wondered about that too.
I'm guessing she is all electric like me.
Even then I would expect that kind of bill in the coldest months like January.

I live a mile from town and we have a well and septic.
They upgraded the sewer system in town because the government forced them and the water bills have nearly tripled since then.
$300 water bills are not uncommon.

This is probably something similar with all the new regulations and "greening" that are kicking in.

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 07:34 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22 + watchitburn

Yep - as Subaeruginosa eluded to, every quarter my bill is between $350 - $600, depending upon time of year.

Clearly, even with exchange rates, we're getting #in ripped off down under compared to your 24/7 Air Conditioning plus the usual stuff for $100 - that's just unheard of here, I'd think you had found a way of siphoning power from your neighbour or something.

If I poke a fork into your power outlet, will it give me the same zap as if I poke one in mine? If so, why is your zap cheaper than mine?

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 07:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: watchitburn

Ummm...never more than $100.00...?

Thats what I get charged every month...as a delivery fee...then we have the usage and taxes and surcharges and fees on top of that...

YouSir

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 08:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Sublimecraft

You can blame Australian green policies for that.
They gave up coal.
You will also have some generation issues in the high demand times.

joannenova.com.au...

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 09:45 AM
link   
a reply to: YouSir

yeah exactly. 100 amonth, where do I sign up?
I'm around 300+ a month for electric all but one month, then 300 amonth for recycled toilet water from FGUA.

The tap water is so hard that I have to replace leaky valves and HOD water heater coils about every 9 months.

I think they are trying to use high costs to keep the population "priced out" of some areas.

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Oh, I'd have had an absolute blast with that one if I were the one receiving that bill!!!!! Untold amounts of fun, for sure!!

In fact, I'd have had so much fun I'd have to sit down and relax enough to figure out where to start first!!

I think the first thing I'd have done is to go out and get a nice picture frame and frame the original invoice, and hang it on my wall. Then, I'd have contacted the power company and told them my dog ate the original and request a duplicate (to see if they were dumb enough to do it TWICE!).

So, let's see...what next? Oh yeah, I'd probably contact them to inquire how they knew they were going to even be in existence for the 840,555 YEARS it would take to pay off the bill using installments!

And the list goes on and on. I know one thing; I'd be in no hurry to actually "pay" the bill at all.

edit - A fella with less than upstanding motives could probably even figure out a way to retire after receiving a $248 billion bill!...depending on how long he could keep from talking with a real person (think-phone automation).
edit on 12/28/2017 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 10:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

I would pay the $280.00

(Have the bank erroneously move the decimal point)
Then get my bank to send them an invoice stating it was paid in full. Then demand a refund.$$$$$$

Edit: while this glitch continues. It's going to this poor individuals credit report. FURTHERMORE, does it even cost $280 billion to to power all of Manhattan for a month? Or even a year?
This sort of power consumption should have tipped off DHS.
edit on 28-12-2017 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 10:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Mandroid7

Ummm...yessir...I've got hard water as well...when the hot water heater weighs 4 times as much as it did new...now that's some calcium/lime build up...

It's why I'm thinking solar panels and a fancy wind sculpture...that also just happens to double as a generator...imagine that...

Much as I despise Bill Clinton..."I feel your pain"...

YouSir
edit on 28-12-2017 by YouSir because: innaccuracies abounded...

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 11:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Bigburgh

I don't know about manhattan but I have heard that steel dynamics "a steel mill near me" is the biggest single electricity user east of the Mississippi.
Rumored to pay a $3 million a month electric bill.

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Lol... I stand corrected.

Ok, perhaps this individual is running a steel mill in their basement. And the Power Co. cuaght on.

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 01:03 PM
link   
As if $284.00 a month isn't bad enough.

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 01:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: MajorAce
As if $284.00 a month isn't bad enough.

With coal being shut down and inefficient green energy falling short, you might as well get used to paying more for electricity.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join