It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

EgyptAir crew error leads to near miss

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 04:02 AM
link   
An EgyptAir A300-600F flying from Ostend to Cairo was involved in a serious near miss incident with an Air France A320, in January of this year. The A300 was advised that the A320 would pass from their right to left, ahead of and above them, and were ordered to level off at 21,000 feet. The crew read back the instructions, but continued to climb. The captain actually increased the climb rate to 3500 ft/min.

As the A300 passed 21,300 feet their TCAS ordered the crew to descend, while the A320 crew received a climb instruction. The A320 began the required 1500 ft/min climb, while the A300 slowed their climb rate, and never began to descend. They were still climbing when the A320 passed 1.2 nm ahead, and only 522 feet above the A300. At the closest point of approach they were estimated to be 0.69 nm, and 427 feet apart.

www.flightglobal.com...

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 04:22 AM
link   
Refusing to obey ATC...Thats a Paddlin....

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 06:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Blackfinger
Simpson's quotes will get you know where with me (did I just put my beard in a pencil sharpener?...)
Did you hear today that the paper tigers in Canberra just opened the floodgates on foreign pilots? Apparently the Qantas's of the world lost their brains as well as their cheque books and dont know how to run pilot training schemes any more (hmmm sounds familiar from an engineering perspective). Oh its ok, I'm sure plenty of dollars thrown at PR campaigns can fix/fake it because god knows why you would spend those bucks on actually fixing the problem? Expect this kind of incompetent idiocy soon on an air corridor near you because in the west we dont know how to train people any more.

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 06:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Blackfinger

ignoring ATC - thats a grounding [ permanent ]

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 04:44 PM
link   
a reply to: thebozeian
All I can say is...

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 10:00 PM
link   
Okay so in addition to crews ignoring the CHECKLISTS now they are ignoring TCAS????????

WHY WOULD YOU IGNORE TCAS?

Jesus
edit on 12/28/17 by FredT because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 10:24 PM
link   
a reply to: FredT

And ATC. Don't forget them. Who knew that level off at FL210 and continue climbing into that traffic above you sounded so similar.
edit on 12/28/2017 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2017 @ 10:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

posted on Dec, 31 2017 @ 05:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
a reply to: FredT

And ATC. Don't forget them. Who knew that level off at FL210 and continue climbing into that traffic above you sounded so similar.

Yes, seriously. Just yesterday coming into Santa Monica (KSMO) the TCAS gave a traffic alert. Even with a patient on board, we went sterile cockpit (everybody shuts up unless its a flight safety issue) everybody was eyes out till the traffic was spotted and someone maintained visual contact till it was no factor. Its not rocket science

posted on Dec, 31 2017 @ 05:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

again?? what's up with them

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 05:00 AM
link   
a reply to: penroc3
The words stupid and incompetent come to mind...

join