It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA warning: ‘Unseen’ asteroid set to skim Earth TODAY

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 09:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Eshel

Oh wow, it is flying by as I write this post.

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 10:00 AM
link   
a reply to: darkbake

IKR ... I am staring right at it and it appears to have some kind of creature riding it with a steering wheel. We're all doomed !!!!

(and i forgot to bring my special underwear and nike shoes to work today... damnit all to hell)

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 10:04 AM
link   
a reply to: RP2SticksOfDynamite

In astronomical terms, it's actually REALLY close.

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 10:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: skunkape23
I am warning that asteroid to stay off my lawn less he has a taste for buckshawt.

Really? I want that asteroid to land an itty bitty fragment on my lawn so I can have a piece of space rock...

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 10:16 AM
link   
just so It's orbital path is generally parallel to Earth Orbit...all it might do is skim the upper atmosphere and blow up...

instead of having an orbit that intersects Earth which translates into 'eventual crater-on Earth'

(future orbits that miss Earth might go inward towards the Sun, much like those grooves in vinyl records of yester-year)

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 10:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: nofear39

originally posted by: Soloprotocol

originally posted by: RP2SticksOfDynamite
Skimming at 139k miles. Really close...NOT!

In the grand scheme of all things spacey 139k miles is what we call a Bawhair here in Scotland.

Haha everything is a bawhair away in Scotland.. I was saying ballhair but the Scots told me off for it haha

A bawhair is also the distance between the nucleus of an atom and it's electrons...

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 11:10 AM
link   
WE have seen some spectacular comets here in the midwest recently, wonder if they are part of some meteor shower remnants or something connected to this? On any account, it has passed and as far as I know, it passed without any concerns to the space stations or satellites.

One day, as we draw closer to our galactic center we will see strikes here on planet earth, it is only common sense.

It would be fun to know what precautions the Space Station took prior to the flyby?
edit on am1231amThu, 28 Dec 2017 11:11:43 -0600 by antar because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 02:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: antar

It would be fun to know what precautions the Space Station took prior to the flyby?

ISIS flies at about 250 miles above the earth. The space rock is 140,000 miles out.

Just a guess but I would think the answer to be: none.

At 9 meters (about 30 feet), it would all come down to the angle it hit the atmosphere. It could just bounce back into space or burn up...

And like everything else, it has flown by already! I swear I will wake up late to the Apocalypse!

Happy New Year!

ETA: LOL. I am listening to Oingo Boingo, Just Another Day, it seems universe has a sense of humor!

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 03:00 PM
link   
a reply to: skunkape23
You fool. You want it to land on your lawn. Have you seen how much asteroids go for on the open market. If it's nice enough you could buy a new house with the money.

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 03:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: RP2SticksOfDynamite
Skimming at 139k miles. Really close...NOT!

If a 49 foot asteroid entered the Earth's atmosphere would it burn up ..or strike the planet someplace?

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 03:06 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

Depends upon it's angle of entry into the atmosphere, and it's makeup. In all likelihood, it'd burn up long before it impacts on terra firma.

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 03:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: djz3ro

originally posted by: skunkape23
I am warning that asteroid to stay off my lawn less he has a taste for buckshawt.

Really? I want that asteroid to land an itty bitty fragment on my lawn so I can have a piece of space rock...

Actually, the entire Earth is space Rock. Any piece of a meteor or asteroid would just be a new arrival.

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 03:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: seagull

Depends upon it's angle of entry into the atmosphere, and it's makeup. In all likelihood, it'd burn up long before it impacts on terra firma.

Thank you. That might be what happened over the Soviet Union Russia about 2 years ago. It was caught buy several video cameras, and was very bright.

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Very likely if we're talking about the same one.

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Express lol bs news site

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 04:04 PM
link   
a reply to: dan121212

The asteroid, named 2017 YZ4, came its nearest to Earth at 3:56pm GMT on Thursday, missing us by a mere 140,000 miles (224,000km).
In comparison the moon is 238,000 miles (384,000km) away.
news.sky.com...

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 04:13 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

ah, would of been nice for them to tell us christmas day

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 04:23 PM
link   
a reply to: djz3ro

Be worth more than the lawn I want it to hit mine!.

posted on Dec, 29 2017 @ 03:53 AM
link   
a reply to: crayzeed

Well, I dunno...something like that could easily be highly radioactive and/or toxic.

You might buy a new house...because your existing house is a HAZMAT zone like Chernobyl.

edit - maybe land on your neighbor's lawn.

edit on 12/29/2017 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2017 @ 08:49 AM
link   
a reply to: seagull

If hits shallow angle may just skim top of atmosphere and continue on into space

Ie The Great Western Bolide, a large meteor/small asteroid which entered atmosphere over western USA in 1972

Filmed by visitor at Grand Teton National Park

www.youtube.com...

Others may penetrate into the atmosphere before disintegrating in massive airburst

Most famous is Tunguska explosion over Siberia 1908 which had equivalent of 15 MT - equal to large thermonuclear
weapon. It blew down forest covering 800 sq KM

Here is list of notable meteor airburst

en.wikipedia.org...

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join