It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chess master refuses to wear required saudi clothes, forfeits title

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2017 @ 06:02 PM
link   
a reply to: TheConstruKctionofLight

OR....horror among horrors one of the jews beat a muslim/arab. So they didnt let them come because their faith in their skill was lacking. surely muhammed would not had let them win.

posted on Dec, 27 2017 @ 06:04 PM
link   
a reply to: yuppa

So they didnt let them come because their faith in their skill was lacking.

It's more to do with politics.

posted on Dec, 27 2017 @ 06:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Willtell
Why in the world would they have a tournament in SA in the first place?

Probably the money

The twisted perverse cult called Wahhabism, the West has supported even though it is the sole source of terrorism, because of Saudi gold.

Saudi and Israel aught to be boycotted by the entire world as they did to South Africa, both countries are an abomination

It's madness, we passively support these ilk and their perverse ways, but here we have people denounce their dress codes. One would think they would protest the U. S supplying arms to them or something of substance, but no just more feigned outrage.

posted on Dec, 27 2017 @ 06:13 PM
link   

a reply to: xenon129

She actually looks more sexy to me with the head covering.

I do not think she dresses with any regard to your thoughts. . .

posted on Dec, 27 2017 @ 06:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: yuppa

So they didnt let them come because their faith in their skill was lacking.

It's more to do with politics.

AKA region is SA.

posted on Dec, 27 2017 @ 06:18 PM
link   

a reply to: xenon129

She actually looks more sexy to me with the head covering.

This goes right to the heart of the issue. These clothing laws/rules are not about making women look less-sexy...it's about forcing them to submit which makes them MORE sexy to men who demand submission and want the control over women.

That the forced submission of women is "sexy" to anyone....I cringe.

I look at those pics and I think primarily about the fact that she's a chess champion and she must have a fabulous mind. When I evaluate her physical beauty...she is gorgeous in the way that she CHOOSES to present herself.

I just want to add that I don't judge you, WillTell, and I don't assume that you find submission sexy. I assume you find the look to be pleasing aesthetically, for whatever reason, and maybe don't view it under the lens I view it.

posted on Dec, 27 2017 @ 06:24 PM
link   
a reply to: MotherMayEye

My point is that the head covering does little to hide a woman’s beauty

If you listen to many of my posts you’ll find no one more against SA than me

I might add that the concept of this kind of dress suppose to be about modesty so men’s sexual desires are curbed.

If they don’t serve that purpose then what’s the use

That’s my point, It has nothing to do with power over woman form my perspective

edit on 27-12-2017 by Willtell because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2017 @ 06:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope

It’s a shame half a million westerners won’t march in support of her.

Well clearly she must be Alt-Right, and everyone knows you're supposed to punch a Nazi.

posted on Dec, 27 2017 @ 06:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: Grambler

This woman gave up something very dear to her and a lot of money because she didn't want to be forced to wear restrtive clothing.

Or not.

Women are, according to local reports, being allowed to wear dark blue or black formal trousers and high-necked blouses, avoiding Saudi rules of dress that require female residents and most visitors to wear loose-fitting, long robes known as abayas.

www.independent.co.uk...

But I can understand her not wanting to attend for other reasons.

Or yes.

How is two options of "uniform" less restricting? Do they let every man in the world dress like they do in their home country? Oh yes? cool; right O.

edit on 27-12-2017 by SRPrime because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2017 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Hey you're right. It's just about male dominance over women.

You chauvinist bastard!

posted on Dec, 27 2017 @ 06:33 PM
link   

If you listen to many of my posts you’ll find no one more against SA than me

I might add that the concept of this kind of dress suppose to be about modesty so men’s sexual desires are curbed.

If they don’t serve that purpose then what’s the use

That’s my point, It has nothing to do with power over woman form my perspective

It was your use of the word "more" that led me to respond as I did. You said you found her "more sexy with the head covering." As if the head covering --- she apparently did not want to wear and was forced to wear or not compete -- enhanced her beauty.

I know you are not a sh*tty person, WillTell. Reread my comment...particularly this part:

I just want to add that I don't judge you, WillTell, and I don't assume that you find submission sexy. I assume you find the look to be pleasing aesthetically, for whatever reason, and maybe don't view it under the lens I view it.

posted on Dec, 27 2017 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Are you being a bit too sensitive here ?

I make the point that the intent of the head covering doesn’t work.

That’s all I meant.

posted on Dec, 27 2017 @ 06:47 PM
link   
I think her timing with her protest is a little off, but I certainly support her decision. For me, the issue is not about the clothing, but about about the enforcement (or the attempt of it) of a religious rule upon persons of either a different religious belief or persons of no religious belief.

One person's religious belief should have absolutely no influence or impact upon any one else. Period!

Let us not forget, or perhaps, we should actually notice that the organisers of this Chess Tournament are bringing the 'sport' of competitive chess into disrepute, by their banning of Israeli players from attending by withholding visas. Sport is meant to have no political boundaries or affiliations.

Obviously, it is understandable why the Saudis would not want the Israelis taking part, due to the political animosity between them, but even so, one has to consider the appropriateness of allowing Saudi Arabia to host this Chess Tournament? The attempted imposition of their religious ruling notwithstanding.

It looks as though the people responsible for running Chess globally looked the other way when a wad of cash was waved in the air, so they, too, are as complicit in all of this hue and cry!
edit on 27/12/17 by elysiumfire because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2017 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Are you being a bit too sensitive here ?

I make the point that the intent of the head covering doesn’t work.

That’s all I meant.

The intent of the head covering is not to make a woman less-sexy. It's to make her MORE-sexy to men who get off on forcing women to submit to archaic dress codes.

I was only being sensitive to your feelings in my comments. Was I too sensitive? I don't know...I assume you are saying I was. But other than that, I said what I meant without feeling any personal sensitivity, at all.

edit on 12/27/2017 by MotherMayEye because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2017 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Saudi Arabia?

Let me tell you a little history

Years ago I was in a Muslim community

The woman there weren’t forced to wear head coverings, that was our version of Islam.

We had visitors from SA all the time, they would come to our community, big shot Sheiks, and we spent most of the time arguing with them about this very subject..

Basically we told them to take a hike. The woman in this community have a choice to wear what they want, we told them.

SA is not my cup of tea

Their version of Islam, Wahhabism, to me is an abomination, imo.

Particularly how they treat woman

With all due respect your suggestion was offensive to me.

But Ill let it go

posted on Dec, 27 2017 @ 06:56 PM
link   

With all due respect your suggestion was offensive to me.

But Ill let it go

What suggestion?

ETA: THIS suggestion?

That offended you? I actually meant for it NOT to offend you. That's the only suggestion I made about you.
edit on 12/27/2017 by MotherMayEye because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2017 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Let’s forget it.

no big thing

posted on Dec, 27 2017 @ 07:11 PM
link   
What if we hosted the tournament here, and said Saudi women could participate provided they wear a bikini?

I don't like it. Sorry.

posted on Dec, 27 2017 @ 07:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
She should have said that she wouldn't set foot in that backwater crap hole of a country and that any organization that held a tournament there could shove their title where the monkey put the peanut.

well put dude...i vote for you to be ambassador....

posted on Dec, 27 2017 @ 07:19 PM
link   
angeldoll:

What if we hosted the tournament here, and said Saudi women could participate provided they wear a bikini?

That's a dog that won't hunt. No Chess Tournament would ever stipulate such a sexist rule. They could as part of the tournament's regulations stipulate a dress code based entirely on formal appropriateness for the game, which they do, but never base anything on a religious code.

Your strawman argument is pretty much inappropriate for this thread.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join