It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Well...It Finally Happened!

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 03:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

What excuses???

Heh, well, as it turns out I am actually Generation X (I had to go look to see), not a Boomer. I don't think that changes anything I've said above though.

As I noted several pages ago, this notion of identity with some "generation" is just another recent example of social and class warfare. It's pointless (just like selfie museums...at least I try to stay on topic!). Prior to looking it up, I thought I was a Boomer which should give you a pretty good clue to how much that class identity means to me (exactly zero). Now, Millennials, on the other hand, cling to that identity for dear life. Why? Because this is what their public schooling indoctrination has taught them, isolate themselves into the smallest social group possible and then point fingers at everyone else (i.e. make "excuses"). It makes their posture all that much more defensible. They talk a big game about "global community" and so forth, but in reality this is the LAST thing they want...until ME gets served first.

In fact, it is the Millenials who are the end-game product of the liberal progressive education agenda. They've now been able to indoctrinate a whole generation of kids from K through 12 and even above. Now those same chickens are coming home (literally and metaphorically) to roost.

Sorry, that stings, I know, but it's true.

edit - One thing you got right though is, I definitely am cynical sometimes. Mad Max is my hero.

edit on 12/28/2017 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 04:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

I know for a fact that at least half of the millennials don't want to be independent. I see it in my own family. All these young folks had equal opportunities yet half of them are still in their parents' home with no plans to be independent.

What's really sad is that at family get-togethers they sit in the corner and complain about what they can't afford yet there they sit with a $900 phone! The ones who actually took advantage of the opportunities offered them are the ones wondering how they're going to pay for the insurance the government forces them to buy while still making the mortgage payments on the houses they've bought with the money they earned at their JOBS! They don't have a $50k truck or the newest phone----because they live within their means. They set goals in high school and are chasing their dreams by working. Some of them are working two jobs---just like a lot of boomers did when Jimmy Carter ran the mortgage rate up to double digits---to pay their mortgages and insurance costs.

If you are over the age of 12, I truly feel sorry for you. You've been seriously misinformed. But keep on believing your own garbage about how boomers bought homes working a minimum wage job. Minimum wage jobs are for people who have zero skills---designed to actually teach them some skills in most cases, so they can rise above the poverty level. This should happen upon leaving high school. Any moderately intelligent human can pick up enough skills to demand above minimum wage by age 18--- if they're not eaten up with lazy entitlement ideas.

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 04:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

You are of the same generation as our kids. My youngest has just realized a dream she and her husband have held since they were teenagers. They've opened their own store! They scrimped and saved and worked two or three jobs, refusing to go into debt. They're in their 40s and for the first time in their lives, they are able to point to their business and say their dream is reality.
They drive a ten year-old (paid-for at the time of purchase) car and an even older truck. They don't have the latest in any electronic gadgets except the card reader needed for the store.
They both worked their way through college, going on scholarships and grants that they worked hard to find and capture so they wouldn't be in debt when graduation day came.
Heck, they even know how to make their own food and coffee!

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 04:49 PM
link   
a reply to: diggindirt

Mid 50's here, but yeah.

I missed the cutoff by 2 years.

posted on Dec, 29 2017 @ 07:57 AM
link   

The point of minimum wage was to ensure that workers were paid enough to afford the basic necessities, including housing. The buying power of minimum wage peaked in 1968. Benefiting who? The Boomers. Since 1979 that buying power has steadily declined. So yes, minimum wage could provide a lot more for Boomers than it can for Millennials and to deny that ignores actual facts.

But guess what? Millennials are lucky if they're even getting minimum wage at trained jobs. Now most entry level positions that require a college degree have been replaced with unpaid internships. And the Boomers wonder why Millennials are forced to live at home.

posted on Dec, 29 2017 @ 08:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254

The point of minimum wage was to ensure that workers were paid enough to afford the basic necessities, including housing. The buying power of minimum wage peaked in 1968. Benefiting who? The Boomers. Since 1979 that buying power has steadily declined. So yes, minimum wage could provide a lot more for Boomers than it can for Millennials and to deny that ignores actual facts.

Okay, but minimum wage was never intended to cover home "ownership" (as you previously alleged). Regarding buying power and inflation, we could have a months long debate on that subject alone. Those statistics are some of the most easily manipulated to support selective arguments.

But guess what? Millennials are lucky if they're even getting minimum wage at trained jobs. Now most entry level positions that require a college degree have been replaced with unpaid internships. And the Boomers wonder why Millennials are forced to live at home.

And let's examine why this is...

If the liberal left, whom the Millennials rabidly support, wouldn't have dumbed down and watered down college degrees to the point where they are, in many cases, not worth the paper the degree is printed on then McDonald's wouldn't require a PhD to work there! And, if that wasn't bad enough, it was the same liberal left who ironically raised the bar for employment (so as to EXCLUDE all those who didn't pay for those watered down degrees) so they could ensure record profits for their universities. So they rigged the game, stacked the deck, and now they're getting bit by their own legislation and sniveling about it. Go figure.

Regarding your 'live at home' reasoning... Forced? HA! Wow, what color is the sky on your planet??? You're dreamin' if you believe that. Some maybe, but not the vast majority. Plus, how would you ever prove that notion one way or the other? Of course it's always going to be cheaper to let someone else pay the rent. However, you have no way to establish the value of missed opportunity (and don't say there isn't any...cuz I personally have (6) job openings which don't even require a degree...starting pay...$80k. Can't even get people to apply) So, BS to that notion!

edit - More excuses.

edit II - Oh, and on a hilarious (and on-topic) note...a while back I did receive a resume for a position we had open where the candidate had, you guessed it, taken a selfie to include with their resume! LOLOLOL!!!! I wonder if I can send that in to the new 'Selfie Museum'?

edit on 12/29/2017 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2017 @ 08:38 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

I'm sorry, but a museum is a place for art and artwork, and not for a pathological disorder that selfies represent. No offense to anyone who likes to take them, but that sort of thing belongs on Instagram, and not in museums.

posted on Dec, 29 2017 @ 08:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Nikola014

BINGO!!!

Thank you!!!!

You just won the Internet!

posted on Dec, 29 2017 @ 08:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: Nikola014
I'm sorry, but a museum is a place for art and artwork...

Art and museums are subjective, just because you don't like one form or another doesn't mean it shouldn't exist.

Hell, I think the Creation Museum is the dumbest museum on the planet but if people want to shell out their money to go there that is their prerogative.

posted on Dec, 29 2017 @ 10:49 AM
link   
As the Trump appointed, Minister of Aesthetics CZAR, we are of the opinion that ALL art is superfluous, has no socially redeeming value and is to be forthwith banned from being shown at any public venue or private dwelling.
This includes music, graphic "arts", performances of any kind, Now STFU and eat your covfefe you stupid.

Yeah, censorship...whats ya gonna do about it pissant?

posted on Dec, 29 2017 @ 10:54 AM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

Nots a dang thing...other than chuckle at some of it.

edit - Oh, but wait; as said appointed czar, can you biff a couple words for me??? I would respectfully request "Mouthbreather" and "Derp" be permanently BANNED from all languages.
edit on 12/29/2017 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2017 @ 11:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

edit - Oh, but wait; as said appointed czar, can you biff a couple words for me??? I would respectfully request "Mouthbreather" and "Derp" be permanently BANNED from all languages.

Not my department. see ref. Supreme Commander Talkin Word things.

btw.. She's awesome, I moved on her and took her to buy some furniture.

edit on 29-12-2017 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2017 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Well, I'm gonna' cut-in on your action and take her to Waffle House!

posted on Dec, 29 2017 @ 12:30 PM
link   

If everything is art, then nothing is art. It's really that simple. When you make everything relative, it also comes with a loss of value, that's why we have BS like selfie's museum...

That's not art.

posted on Dec, 29 2017 @ 12:47 PM
link   

That's not art.

That is solely your opinion just like it is of the people who founded/attend that museum.

posted on Dec, 29 2017 @ 01:40 PM
link   

If everything is art, then nothing is art. It's really that simple. When you make everything relative, it also comes with a loss of value, that's why we have BS like selfie's museum...

That's not art.

Until you reach status of Minister of Aesthetics like me your opinion is just covfefe blowin in the wind.

You are welcome to apply to be an intern in my office if you like. Are you a female?
edit on 29-12-2017 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2017 @ 01:46 PM
link   

I would have prospective applicants submit a selfie so you don't get catfished.

posted on Dec, 29 2017 @ 03:26 PM
link   

That's not art.

good thing you dont get to decide what is art.

i liken this to rap music. back in the day like early 80's...its not music. its a fad. blah blah

still around. art, like music is subjective

posted on Dec, 29 2017 @ 03:33 PM
link   

I'm too cool for work.
My gender is nonbinary. I can be anything you want me to...

Too much?

posted on Dec, 29 2017 @ 03:56 PM
link   
I've been thinking about it, while reading this thread, and I don't think in most cases, the "selfie" is the issue. Some of these in this museum might end up being very interesting.

The issue is what people do with the selfie, after they take the pic. If they just left it on their phone, or sent it to a friend, who else would really care?

It is the people, and I know a few unfortunately, that take the selfie, sometimes several a day, and post it on sites for everyone to see. Every day.

Who wouldn't think your narcissistic for doing that?

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join