It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Well...It Finally Happened!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2017 @ 03:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: SlapMonkey

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk

Circle gets the square.

Should I pride myself on getting this reference?

no.
i have seen hollywood squares too

posted on Dec, 27 2017 @ 03:13 PM
link   
For the record...I'm not making any "rules", nor do I have the power to make any "rules". I am NOT lobbying for some legislation to make a new "rule" by those who can make rules! The people who put this together have every right to do what they want and call it whatever they want, art or otherwise. I, on the other hand, have every right to express an opinion of said "art" and opine its apparent kinship and parallels with modern day society...and that is exactly what I'm doing.

Nothing more, nothing less.

posted on Dec, 27 2017 @ 03:16 PM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

It was an intentional double entendre of sorts (possibly even a triple)

So, yes, you should!

edit on 12/27/2017 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2017 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Oh look, the same generation that made a soup can painting a pop culture icon (completely missing the social commentary) are complaining about art legitimacy.

The Baby Boomers must be the least self-aware generation in history. They were so narcissistic they were labeled the Me Generation. And yet all I see them do these days is complain about how self-involved Millennials are.

posted on Dec, 27 2017 @ 03:39 PM
link   

This is NO LONGER in the Mud Pit!!!

All rules for polite debate will be enforced.

You are responsible for your own posts.....those who ignore that responsibility will face mod actions.

and, as always:

Do NOT reply to this post!!

posted on Dec, 27 2017 @ 03:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

Okay...I'll be straight up...I completely missed the social commentary of Warhol's tomato soup can too.

What was it?

P.S. - Was never much of a Warhol fan, but at least I would consider him an 'artist' unlike selfie takers.

And that's another thing, photography is "art". It's about composition, light, balance and imagery. I am a photographer (as a hobby). If I see something interesting, beautiful or mysterious I don't all of a sudden think..."hey wait, this will be even better if I stick my ugly ass mug in the picture too!". And while photo albums may be a thing of the distant past, imagine what it would be like to see a photo album where every single picture had me in it...it would be ghastly!

posted on Dec, 27 2017 @ 04:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

The whole point behind Warhol and the pop art movement is that the common person has no clue about art. As long as they're told something is art they'll believe it's true. And then to further prove this point her started mass producing his prints and making a ton of money off of them.

Let's not forget that the phrase "15 minutes of fame," arguably the guiding philosophy behind social media, originates with Warhol.

posted on Dec, 27 2017 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Color me cynical, but the mere fact it exists speaks volumes about what's important in today's society.

Everyone has the opportunity to make what they felt was important, important during their time. The kids today are no different, besides, we made all the stuff that is distracting to the young people, no?

They're victims of circumstance, friend...

posted on Dec, 27 2017 @ 06:52 PM
link   
So members come on ATS and tell the most intimate aspects of their lives, jobs, family members, hobbies, likes and dislikes, politics, ideologies and philosophies, favorite foods, sexual orientation...etc, etc. everything...much more revealing than a stupid grinning picture on a cell phone.

If that's not a selfie with language instead of a picture; what is it? Why do you think others even care?

Irony runs deep in this thread...as does a fair amount of Hypocrisy...
edit on 27-12-2017 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2017 @ 06:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Perfectenemy
Would some of you believe me when i stated that i never made a selfie in my entire life? The whole sharing everything of your private life with strangers part is completely eluding me. I will probably never understand the appeal of it.

You too?

I've never done a selfie either.

posted on Dec, 27 2017 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Just seen this........reminded me of this thread.

posted on Dec, 27 2017 @ 07:38 PM
link   

But of course...all millenial aged people are narcisstic scum, and none of that ridiculous generalization would have anything to do with the millenial's parents or that preceding generation; heaven forbid, because God commands us to blame # and degrade the younger ones.

So it is written...

edit on 27-12-2017 by CreationBro because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2017 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Nothing surprises me anymore.

posted on Dec, 27 2017 @ 07:43 PM
link   
a reply to: CreationBro

Everyone has free will, therefore, a choice. No one is pointing a gun at their head telling them how to behave. That's all on them, as it is on each individual.

If people choose to be mindless twits, that's on them and them alone.
edit on 27-12-2017 by Guardian10 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2017 @ 08:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

And I would agree, completely.

Yeah, and then there's the 15 minutes of fame thing too.

We agree.

posted on Dec, 27 2017 @ 08:07 PM
link   
a reply to: CreationBro

For the record, I never used, nor do I think anyone else did, the word "scum" in anything I've written.

Those are perhaps your words, but not mine.

Let's be clear about that.

I'm not big on words being placed in my mouth; I work pretty hard articulating, into text, my thoughts.

posted on Dec, 27 2017 @ 09:10 PM
link   
I never have liked to be in a picture. I sure the hell wouldn't take a selfie of myself in front of anything. You could have a huge screen with a picture of something on it and take a picture of yourself in front of it, giving the impression you were there. I think a lot of selfies are done to trick others into believing something that is not true.

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 12:09 AM
link   
Historically, to have an image made of one's self was a status symbol. Only very important people enjoyed such status. In today's world, everyone has the magic to make an image.

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 12:11 AM
link   

I'd love to post that this is unbelievable, but I'd be lying. More and more, I look around and wonder how I came to be on this planet....not the world I remember at all!

Sick thing is, they will likely make a killing.

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 12:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Justso

If you Americans gave a # about anything outside of your country the world wouldn't be as f"uped as it is. But I dont expect you to understand.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join