It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists predict 'mini ice age' could hit UK by 2030

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2017 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Sauce

"A mini ice age that would freeze major rivers could hit Britain in less than two decades, according to research from universities in the UK and Russia.
A mathematical model of the Sun's magnetic activity suggests temperatures could start dropping here from 2021, with the potential for winter skating on the River Thames by 2030.

A team led by maths professor Valentina Zharkova at Northumbria University built on work from Moscow to predict the movements of two magnetic waves produced by the Sun.
It predicts rapidly decreasing magnetic waves for three solar cycles beginning in 2021 and lasting 33 years."

So, despite all the hoo hah about whether climate change is actually anthropormorphic, it seems that the Sun is going to go therough a cool spell which will throw Northern Europe back into Victorian style winters.

Does this mean we can pay a bit less tax on the fuel to heat our homes and get around?
Of course not, the climate change lobby is Yuuuuge business and there is no stopping it now, even if the real world contradicts the "science" behind the industry.

posted on Dec, 27 2017 @ 09:49 AM
link   
And this comes on the back of one of the mildest winters I've ever experienced in the UK.. I've stopped listening to this constant bs concerning the weather. I'll believe it when I see it.

posted on Dec, 27 2017 @ 09:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Misterlondon
And this comes on the back of one of the mildest winters I've ever experienced in the UK.. I've stopped listening to this constant bs concerning the weather. I'll believe it when I see it.

Haha There is s much snow outside I wouldnt be surprised to see penguins.

posted on Dec, 27 2017 @ 09:57 AM
link   
a reply to: SprocketUK

Absurd isnt it,

For f#cking years we was told "oh climate change, heating up, palm trees in Southend, Norfolk underwater blah blah f#cking blah".. I was actually expecting to be able to actually enjoy my sports year round not having to worry about being freezing cold and sopping wet cycling in the sh#te weather we are blessed with in the good old Demographic republik of United Kingdomstan ...

Now they tell us we can expect a "Ice Age", who are these bloody clowns that make this stuff up and did they get their degree from the University of coin toss, that is situated in the district of Tarot Card central??....

Even if the Thames does freeze over we manage to take the fun out of everything in this country, no doubt we will need to pay a tax to use it for skating due to adverse Ice destruction that could lead to catastrophic climate change "within our lifetimes"..

I am off to predict if God exists by looking at tea leafs, expect the paper to be ready for peer review in the next edition of Nature....

RA

edit on 27-12-2017 by slider1982 because: (no reason given)

edit on 27-12-2017 by slider1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2017 @ 10:01 AM
link   
a reply to: slider1982

That cheered me up no end

Well done, mate!

posted on Dec, 27 2017 @ 10:06 AM
link   
It's been a very mild winter in the U.K. All the predictions of the coldest winter on record that we get every year, are just silly headlines to sell newspapers and keep people alert.
I'll admit a few frosty mornings but other than that it's been fine.

I never listen to these kinds of forecast anymore. If anything I think the earth is warming up, not getting colder.

EDIT: I live near the coast so you would think it would be colder, but this isn't the case. I do find some of the sensational cold winter headlines every year a little tiresome.
edit on Wed, 27 Dec 2017 10:07:59 -06001017122017000000k by rhynouk because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2017 @ 10:08 AM
link   
a reply to: rhynouk

I am quite comfortable with the idea of warming and cooling cycles, I just have a problem with believing its down to the petrol my Harley uses or the Diesel in the wife's Landrover.

posted on Dec, 27 2017 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Well technically it still is climate change. Good thing we have had the funding and research to find out this change before it happens tho, just saying.
It's not always about warming it's about all aspects.

posted on Dec, 27 2017 @ 10:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: strongfp

Well technically it still is climate change. Good thing we have had the funding and research to find out this change before it happens tho, just saying.
It's not always about warming it's about all aspects.

Do you not think it is skewed towards trying to prove an anthropomorphic element rather than just investigating the general trends? (This is the frst one I have seen in the MSM that isnt making out that it is "our" fault,

posted on Dec, 27 2017 @ 10:28 AM
link   

By 2030?!

Come to Thunder Bay Ontario right now.
It's been -40 C with the screaming wind over night 2 days straight.
I'll show you an ice age!

posted on Dec, 27 2017 @ 10:31 AM
link   
people really should try understanding .
oil is atmosphere in a liquid form coal is as well .
500 million agaio earth had a atmosphere pressure of over 44 pounds per inch as compared to the 14.5 pounds now .
That extra atmosphere did not just disapir it was adsorbed by plants and animals over millions of years which in turn became the coal and oil we use today .
But if the Nuts are right and oil is acutely made by earth its self it makes no difference because oil is hydro carbons .
AKA co 2 is most of its make up as most everything on earth .
Now burning oil and coal relises the traped carbon and other gases back .
So all we are doing is slowly making earths atmosphere what it was millions of years back .

What will this mean for us well not much really less ice slight sea lv rise more aribal land as places like Alaska and Russia become warm enough to grow more .
After all the dinos were happy with a earth temp averaging 76 % F
The real problems we humans and earth will have from human effects are dieing oceans from pollution and over fishing major weather changes from clear cutting increasing the deserts .
Being a little warmer or colder will not be our death the constant destruction of forest and oceans will be .

Earth Is in the prosses of a ELE now because of mans killing cutting and burning everything in site .
We are already past the tipping point and even if we stopped its already to late to many biospheres have already been destroyed .

Think this is stupid ? go find a butter fly go find a bee go find 1000s of animals that no longer live as we have killed them off .Think its a joke ? go out after a rain and drink from the water running along your street if you dare .
Drive down any street and find one without garbage along it .

Then tell your self how you don't effect your environment .
I could not post a list of endangered animal as it would take pages and there is NOT one land animal over 100 pounds not under threat or endangered . Lions tigers and bears o my .elephants cheetahs animals that use to be counted in the 100,000s now counted in the 1000s even 100s .

In a 100 years the only place you will see a lion is a zoo .
But ooo no man has nothing to do with it .

posted on Dec, 27 2017 @ 10:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Macenroe82

Good god mate, coldest weather I ever had to endure was -33 C and that was just miserable, even with good cold weather gear.

-40 and windy nope nope nope.

posted on Dec, 27 2017 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Across the pond here in new england, I've not seen this much snow on the ground in december since I was a kid. It's been years since I've seen enough to stick to the ground before christmas.
as it sits, the snowbanks are already taller than the cars (but not the bigger trucks) and the high temps for the next week are single digits F.

It was -13 when I started the truck for work today. That's -25 for the rest of the world.

Actually, I just checked- they upgraded friday to a high of 10F/-12c. Might have to find a lighter coat

posted on Dec, 27 2017 @ 10:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

It's times like these when you realize...I really need to do a full update on the insulation of this house.
The furnace is going non stop.
I've been running the wood stove also trying to take off some of the pressure of the furnace.
My jeep doors were frozen shut. And even with being plugged in all night, still doesn't want to run.
This weather is good for one thing, having the excuse to not leave the house for a few days.
I took work off from dec 21 till Jan 15, so I'm actually not minding being home bound.

posted on Dec, 27 2017 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Good lord, yea that is just miserable weather any way you slice it.

Hehe I was going to say take notes so you can fix it and dont get caught when it gets worse, I am having a hard time imagining worse weather.

posted on Dec, 27 2017 @ 11:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: SprocketUK
Sauce

"A mini ice age that would freeze major rivers could hit Britain in less than two decades, according to research from universities in the UK and Russia.
A mathematical model of the Sun's magnetic activity suggests temperatures could start dropping here from 2021, with the potential for winter skating on the River Thames by 2030.

A team led by maths professor Valentina Zharkova at Northumbria University built on work from Moscow to predict the movements of two magnetic waves produced by the Sun.
It predicts rapidly decreasing magnetic waves for three solar cycles beginning in 2021 and lasting 33 years."

So, despite all the hoo hah about whether climate change is actually anthropormorphic, it seems that the Sun is going to go therough a cool spell which will throw Northern Europe back into Victorian style winters.

Does this mean we can pay a bit less tax on the fuel to heat our homes and get around?
Of course not, the climate change lobby is Yuuuuge business and there is no stopping it now, even if the real world contradicts the "science" behind the industry.

My very first thread here at ATS,

www.abovetopsecret.com...

That was in 2010, it was seriously cold here that year, one station not far from me recorded-18/19º C
I've learned a lot more since, and of course UAE came under fire after the e-mails break-in.
Keep digging and hold your own counsel is my advice.

posted on Dec, 27 2017 @ 11:46 AM
link   

hope you stocked up on the mooshead and peanuts. (they go together like peas and carrots)

posted on Dec, 27 2017 @ 01:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: rhynouk

EDIT: I live near the coast so you would think it would be colder.....

Not necessarily the case.

posted on Dec, 27 2017 @ 01:07 PM
link   

This is the stuff, I think.

The Maunder Minimum

Early records of sunspots indicate that the Sun went through a period of inactivity in the late 17th century. Very few sunspots were seen on the Sun from about 1645 to 1715. Although the observations were not as extensive as in later years, the Sun was in fact well observed during this time and this lack of sunspots is well documented. This period of solar inactivity also corresponds to a climatic period called the "Little Ice Age" when rivers that are normally ice-free froze and snow fields remained year-round at lower altitudes. There is evidence that the Sun has had similar periods of inactivity in the more distant past. The connection between solar activity and terrestrial climate is an area of on-going research.

solarscience.msfc.nasa.gov...

solarscience.msfc.nasa.gov...

. . . the authors extended the prediction of these two magnetic waves to the next two cycle 25 and 26 and discovered that the waves become fully separated into the opposite hemispheres in cycle 26 and thus have little chance of interacting and producing sunspot numbers. This will lead to a sharp decline in solar activity in years 2030—2040 comparable with the conditions existed previously during the Maunder minimum in the XVII century when there were only about 50-70 sunspots observed instead of the usual 40-50 thousand expected.

astronomynow.com...

posted on Dec, 27 2017 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Thing is the link between solar activity (in the form of sunspot activity) and climate is tenuous. We have been seeing decreased activity for 60 years or so and temperatures have been rising. We have seen the highest temperatures recorded in 180 years during the waning of a very low solar maximum.

The "little ice age"? Seems to have mostly affected the northern hemisphere and may not have had much to do with the Maunder Minimum.

While the MM occurred within the much longer LIA period, the timing of the features are not suggestive of causation and should not, in isolation, be used as evidence of significant solar forcing of climate. Climate model simulations suggest multiple factors, particularly volcanic activity, were crucial for causing the cooler temperatures in the northern hemisphere during the LIA. A reduction in total solar irradiance likely contributed to the LIA at a level comparable to changing land use.
www.research.ed.ac.uk...

But maybe this long term forecast (from a math professor, not a solar physicist, in a paper from 2014) about solar activity is correct, and maybe it will slow warming down. Or not.

CORRECTION: An earlier version of this article inaccurately stated that scientists have predicted bitterly cold winters in the 2030s, "similar to freezing conditions of the late 17th century". In fact, the research focused solely on solar activity, and did not made any prediction about its possible future climate effects. We are happy to make this clear.

www.telegraph.co.uk...

edit on 12/27/2017 by Phage because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join