It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Federal Government Employee Compensation Report - Surprising Numbers.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2017 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Here is a link to the 2018 pay schedules for The office of personnel and management (OPM).

www.opm.gov...

I started as GS-9 with a Master of Science in Organizational and Human Resource Development, and you can see the salary is nowhere near what the private sector would pay. I chose to serve am not complaining, just sharing for educational purposes. The VAST majority of government workers are outside of DC, make nowhere near 100k a year, and do great things for the population, American and others.

Just like ANY profession, there are takers, connivers, slackers, and thieves. And just LIKE ANY other profession, those are in the tiny minority of overall workers.

BTW, most government workers put in lots of hours “off the clock” to make sure things get done...and most go above and beyond to get it right.

posted on Dec, 27 2017 @ 01:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Byrd

originally posted by: Edumakated
It isn't the salaries, but more so the retirement packages that make these jobs lucrative.

I retired from a 20+ year stint as a government programmer. I get around $36,000/year (which, according to the statistics is below a living wage for a two adult household) as my retirement benefit. I'm astonished to find that this is considered "lucrative."

And my “lucrative’ pension is just under $500 a month...so many misinformed people...

posted on Dec, 27 2017 @ 01:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lab4Us

BTW, most government workers put in lots of hours “off the clock” to make sure things get done...and most go above and beyond to get it right.

I think the above bears repeating because it is unequivocally a fact. A LOT goes on, without pay, that is so easily overlooked...and this is usually, like you said, by rank and file employees, not the high profile figures.

posted on Dec, 27 2017 @ 02:08 PM
link   

It isn't the salaries, but more so the retirement packages that make these jobs lucrative.

I retired from a 20+ year stint as a government programmer. I get around $36,000/year (which, according to the statistics is below a living wage for a two adult household) as my retirement benefit. I'm astonished to find that this is considered "lucrative."

Forgot to add. You are a 1%er. To be in the top 1% globally, you only need to earn $32,400/yr. The standard of living is so high in the US that even our "poor" are part of the 1%. To be in the top 1% wealth wise, you need about $730,000 in wealth. Your pension certainly qualifies if you are getting $36k/yr.

Just a little perspective even though I know your retirement may not seem like a lot....

Top 1% by Income & Wealth Globally

posted on Dec, 27 2017 @ 02:42 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

I have gotten into the habit of running down a little mental moronic checklist that includes, "Is your computer powered on?" Some people should not be given access to tech above abacus level. I actually had a call recently. A guys KVM switch was "malfunctioning" after a Windows 10 update. Turns out that the switch was fine. He was trying to switch to a display for a video surveillance system that was off. Push the power button... Wow. It is like magic.
edit on 27-12-2017 by crunchypeople because: extra words

posted on Dec, 27 2017 @ 03:05 PM
link   
a reply to: crunchypeople

Your checklist probably works well and the private sector. In the public sector when you get a trouble ticket you have to personally go and investigate in many cases. Especially when it's a big boss GS 14 or above who wants help.

posted on Dec, 27 2017 @ 03:07 PM
link   
French Revolution anyone?

posted on Dec, 27 2017 @ 04:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lab4Us
And my “lucrative’ pension is just under $500 a month...so many misinformed people...

It's just another way to attack government employees and attack the perception of a bloated government.

To some people government employees are paid more than what they're worth to sit around and do nothing while grandma can't afford her prescriptions and dad is getting laid off from his non-union job.

The highest paid federal employee is the CEO of the Tennessee Valley Authority. He brought in about $4.9 million last year, mostly through bonuses awarded by the Board of Directors. He has a base salary of just under $1 million/year.

The top 100 paid federal employees are all doctors, most of which are at the Veterans Administration. That's a little frustrating given the problems with the VA but most of those stem exclusively from the bureaucracy and not the individual doctors.

It's also important to note that while, yes, more than 15,000 federal employees make over $200,000/year they are less than 1% of the total workforce.

posted on Dec, 27 2017 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Seems that Govt employees are keeping up with inflation.

All the other workers haven't had a raise since the mid 1970's.

posted on Dec, 27 2017 @ 05:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Dem0nc1eaner

originally posted by: carewemust

originally posted by: nOraKat
Bloated paychecks for their cronies, paid for in part by you.

I worked in State government for 2 years, fixing computers. I'd drive 60 miles only to find that the office manager didn't know that the mouse had an off/on switch. Half a day to accomplish NOTHING, but a quick "mouse for dummies" orientation. I can only imagine what goes on at the Federal level.

OK, fair enough, but seriously.... why didn't you just call him first?!?

Illinois State Government is BROKE for a reason. When a manager at a remote office needs technical assistance, someone has to go see him/her. After all, they're IMPORTANT, lol.

posted on Dec, 27 2017 @ 05:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: tadaman

This is why I say fire the politicians AND THE STAFF.

Sadly this wont end. Our own people are ruining our country. Its us. We have raised liars and abusers.

The term "public servant" doesn't seem to be an appropriate designation any longer does it.

posted on Dec, 27 2017 @ 06:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

It shouldn't surprise you. It has been known for a while that government employees in general make 1/3 again more than their private sector counterparts across the board and they do less actual work.

What "surprises" me is the dramatic increase in salary over the past 10 years. I recall the President/Congress implementing government employee hiring and pay freezes...particularly in the 2008-2014 time frame.

posted on Dec, 27 2017 @ 06:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: alphabetaone

It's real easy to vilify the Government but people across the private sector game the system equally as much if not more. I've had conversations with countless people who will work the double-time and a half hours on holidays, knowing full well their intent is to do absolutely nothing all because they know the companies are required by law to provide that to them.

People will take 45 minutes for lunch instead of 30. People will take 20 minute smoke breaks instead of the 5 minutes it takes to actually smoke a cigarette.

The government employees are just more highly scrutinized, but its people everywhere. So, no I'm not surprised, unless your intent by pointing it out is your hope for changing human nature, which "aint gonna happen".

Actually, I think the biggest "gamers" are private sector companies and professionals who perform work for the government. When it comes to healthcare, many of the charges billed to Uncle Sam are outright illegal.

posted on Dec, 27 2017 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Forgot to add. You are a 1%er. To be in the top 1% globally, you only need to earn $32,400/yr. The standard of living is so high in the US that even our "poor" are part of the 1%. To be in the top 1% wealth wise, you need about $730,000 in wealth. Your pension certainly qualifies if you are getting $36k/yr.

Just a little perspective even though I know your retirement may not seem like a lot....

WOW... that explains why a co-worker of mine retired as a computer analyst, moved back home to India, and is living like a KING. (Big House, Maid, etc.) 401K interest + Social Security = Big Bucks in most of the world.
edit on 12/27/2017 by carewemust because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2017 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Correct. You want to make big $$$ just invest in any corp that builds weapons of war. They can give a bid that is low-then screw the pooch and change what ever the hell they want. And no one goes to jail, you would think these manufactures were bankers.

Examples
F-35
Super carriers

posted on Dec, 27 2017 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Bonuses.

www.usatoday.com...

The recipient of the single largest bonus was medical officer Stephen M. Friedman of the Indian Health Service in New Mexico. He received an award of $66,078 on top of his $290,000 a year salary. Friedman is also one of the highest paid federal employees in the nation. The highest paid is a doctor with the Veterans Health Administration who made $398,322 last year — just $1,678 less than President Barack Obama's paycheck.

These people get 2 months off paid a yr too.

posted on Dec, 27 2017 @ 07:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: burgerbuddy

That's not true. Employees with more than 15 years of service get 26 paid vacation days per year. If you have less than 15 years you get less paid time-off.

posted on Dec, 27 2017 @ 07:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

And the ability to retire early with full benefits while taking a new job, earn a new retirement package and make a fat salary at it while still pulling your pension from the previous.

It's called double-dipping. Some even manage to triple-dip.

posted on Dec, 27 2017 @ 07:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: burgerbuddy
Bonuses.

www.usatoday.com...

The recipient of the single largest bonus was medical officer Stephen M. Friedman of the Indian Health Service in New Mexico. He received an award of $66,078 on top of his $290,000 a year salary. Friedman is also one of the highest paid federal employees in the nation. The highest paid is a doctor with the Veterans Health Administration who made $398,322 last year — just $1,678 less than President Barack Obama's paycheck.

Eh, work for the right private sector company, and you can get mad time off paid.

posted on Dec, 27 2017 @ 07:21 PM
link   

You are leaving out the cost of living variable...

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join