It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists Accidentally Discover Completely New Kind of Quantum Material

page: 1

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Dec, 27 2017 @ 12:19 AM
link   
**Title shortened to fit**

Physics: Scientists Accidentally Discover Completely New Kind of Quantum Material Whose Electrons Act Like Rays of Light

Physicists have discovered the existence of an entirely new kind of quantum material, more or less on accident. The breakthrough could lead to the creation of a semimetal with the potential to revolutionize energy transmission technology.

Researchers from the Rice Center for Quantum Materials in Houston, Texas, and the Vienna University of Technology in Austria, recently created a theoretical model they hoped would help them better understand high-temperature superconductivity, according to a Rice University press release. To their surprise, the model revealed the potential to create a never-before-seen semimetal in an completely separate branch of physics: topological quantum materials. The research was described in a new paper published in the journal of the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

Click link for full article.

An interesting, and accidental, discovery that can revolutionize the energy industry and everything connected to that industry.

This info is outside my area of understanding so I cant really add much to this conversation. I figured some of our resident geniuses would find it interesting though so here you go.

The advances in the Quantum field seem to be coming at a faster clip recently. China was able to "beam" information from earth to an orbiting satellite, setting a new record.

Also on a somewhat related topic the Fusion reactor under construction in Europe has hit the 50% completion marl. They are looking at an early 2020's completion date.

Exciting times...
edit on 27-12-2017 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2017 @ 12:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

One of these discoveries is going to lead to FTL or anti-gravity platforms.

posted on Dec, 27 2017 @ 01:09 AM
link   
www.newsweek.com...

Could be pertinent to the Delonge Tech announcement.

posted on Dec, 27 2017 @ 10:23 AM
link   
It's a theoretical model in mathematics software for the moment. But if they can apply that model to the design of real metallic crystals, then we could have room-temperature superconductors.

posted on Dec, 27 2017 @ 12:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcathdra

Physicists have discovered the existence of an entirely new kind of quantum material, more or less on accident. The breakthrough could lead to the creation of a semimetal with the potential to revolutionize energy transmission technology.

Misleading title. There's no "discovery". They haven't discovered anything.

They have "constructed" a "theoretical model" that makes a "prediction" that is novel.

Now they need to do an actual "experiment" to "discover" whether that model is correct or not.

edit on 27-12-2017 by AMPTAH because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2017 @ 01:06 PM
link   
a reply to: AMPTAH

The title is not mine.

As for the rest I agree.

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 08:10 AM
link   
a reply to: thepixelpusher

There is absolutely no way that this experiments results, or their announcement, has anything to do with Tom DeLonge's projects, work, or life in any way, shape or form. Why, would I say that?

Its actually pretty simple.

The man has repeatedly expressed a total lack of understanding of physics, so it is improbable in the extreme, that his announcements have anything to do with ACTUAL technology. Furthermore, the existence of Weyl Fermions, which is indicated by this result (having been theorised many decades ago), do nothing to make more or less possible the sort of trash sci-fi technology that DeLonge and a whole host of other charlatans and snake oil salesmen, such as Greer, Collier and others, have been peddling as concepts to the unwary and the ignorant, for decades already.

Put another way, if you think Tom has anything relevant to say about technology, then not only do I have a bridge to sell you, but also a radium tonic water that is supposed to keep you vigorous.

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 10:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit
a reply to: thepixelpusher

There is absolutely no way that this experiments results, or their announcement, has anything to do with Tom DeLonge's projects, work, or life in any way, shape or form. Why, would I say that?

Its actually pretty simple.

The man has repeatedly expressed a total lack of understanding of physics, so it is improbable in the extreme, that his announcements have anything to do with ACTUAL technology. Furthermore, the existence of Weyl Fermions, which is indicated by this result (having been theorised many decades ago), do nothing to make more or less possible the sort of trash sci-fi technology that DeLonge and a whole host of other charlatans and snake oil salesmen, such as Greer, Collier and others, have been peddling as concepts to the unwary and the ignorant, for decades already.

Put another way, if you think Tom has anything relevant to say about technology, then not only do I have a bridge to sell you, but also a radium tonic water that is supposed to keep you vigorous.

In general i agree with you...
Still, there are parts of me that ponders the question:
"What if we are wrong"

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 10:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015

One of these discoveries is going to lead to FTL or anti-gravity platforms.

Or open up a portal where trillions of demons pour though...hehe

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 11:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit

Wait... He is a good singer and plays guitar so I can see how this easily correlates to physics and technology. It's just like all those stars in Hollywood who are good actors so they must know what is best for us all...

posted on Dec, 30 2017 @ 08:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Miccey

If we were wrong?

If we were wrong, then DeLonge would not talk like a man who has all the credibility of a fake Rolex peddler at a South Asian bazaar market. He would not be claiming to be in bed with the every organisations and figures who have been responsible for the cover up itself. He would be dumping huge amounts of unedited information, he would speak and act like a person who has no respect for secrecy, and refuses point blank to keep any.

But no, at best he is a shill for the very forces which have in all probability been about the business of suppressing technological break through, suppressing information about Unidentified Flying Objects, refusing to accept that they have no authority to do so, an appeaser, a traitor to the cause. At worst, he is merely a story teller, and a frankly talentless one at that.

posted on Mar, 4 2019 @ 01:36 PM
link   
So apparently they have made breakthroughs and it is highly photo voltaic.
Something like ten times what we have now. At least that is what i heard.

posted on Mar, 4 2019 @ 01:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: AMPTAH

originally posted by: Xcathdra

Misleading title. There's no "discovery". They haven't discovered anything.

They have "constructed" a "theoretical model" that makes a "prediction" that is novel.

Now they need to do an actual "experiment" to "discover" whether that model is correct or not.

The problem that always arises is how to make the thing that has been modeled. Computer modeling of a material doesn't help much in making the material.

new topics

top topics

join