It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Golf as politics

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 26 2017 @ 12:27 PM
link   
I kept seeing with Obama and now Trump a whole bunch of people complaining about and making a big deal about time spent on the golf course. I thought it was absurd then and that it's absurd now.

Whether it's Obama, Trump, business men, foreign dignitaries, etc the golf is often used as a place to conduct business in a more informal setting. In this capacity this is, considering the job as potus, working.

That being said, what should be the focus is not how often these people golf, but WHO they are golfing with. That's the important part and the part everyone misses with these irrelevant focus on the least important aspect of this. Any idiot that prides themselves on being a deal breaker will in Obama and Trumps social circles spend lots of time on the golf course.

The concern isn't whether they are playing around with taxpayer money not working, but what work they are doing that we don't see and what hands are being shook and what deals are being made we don't know about.

So sick of hearing absurd complaints during both the Obama and Trump years about of all things, golf, which has been a place of business and polical dealings forever. Why do you think it's a rich man's game?

So concerned about golf lets spend less time keeping a tally on which president plays more golf and instead keep a tally on who those games are with.

posted on Dec, 26 2017 @ 01:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Puppylove

I don't have anywhere near the responsibility of a POTUS. I work my ass off, and am unashamed about taking my time off. I can't imagine second guessing every use of down time a POTUS has.

Although I did laugh quite a bit at how Bush liked to pose with his chainsaw for the cameras, there is nothing to lead me to believe he didn't find catharsis in that. I just know that it is most common to hire it out to someone with large equipment to raze the land as needed (you can usually work out a deal if you have lots of usable wood to trade...folks around here will remove your cedars for free if you let them have the wood)

posted on Dec, 26 2017 @ 01:19 PM
link   
In Trump case it is said the guy is the EverReady bunny in he works 16 to 18 hours a day, 7 days a week. He wears his staff out, and I would bet Obama put in huge hours too, so in the end if the President is putting in 100 plus hours a week then golf away.

posted on Dec, 26 2017 @ 01:20 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

certain work can be therapeutic to some. I enjoy disposing of the contents of can's and bottles, and would gladly offer my services to others, just to feel the satisfaction of a job well done.

posted on Dec, 26 2017 @ 01:28 PM
link   
People deal with stress in different ways. If playing golf is beneficial for de-stressing for one of the world's most stressful jobs, then I'm glad they have it to turn to. I don't begrudge anybody getting some R&R, and exercise. I don't think he abuses it.

So there. I'm defending Trump.

Besides, Pup, I don't know who he plays golf with, other than today some famous golfers. Who do you know about we should know about?

posted on Dec, 26 2017 @ 03:14 PM
link   
a reply to: angeldoll

No idea who he plays golf with but am pretty sure would be interesting results if we knew with him and Obama. Also I don't begrudge the potus free time. I just am not sure I'd define all golf as exclusively that.

posted on Dec, 26 2017 @ 03:48 PM
link   
I can't stand Trump and didn't like Obama much. I had zero issue with them playing golf as much as they liked. President is a 24 hour per day job and they need some time off as well. If they choose to play golf with that time, I have no issue with it.

posted on Dec, 26 2017 @ 05:50 PM
link   
a reply to: angeldoll

Apparently today it was two professional golfers and a Georgia senator. The senator would be the business half of the golfing most likely. Is also possible Trump had connections to arrange the two pros there to give lessons or simply due to the senator wishing to play with them or who knows. What particular need Trump has for the senator and what exchanges they make or are making is the curiosity. My main point is that golf is often business and not just relaxation.

posted on Dec, 26 2017 @ 06:40 PM
link   
I Golf almost every day and in the old days we golfed with CEO's and CFO's of major companies as a friendly get together and talk about markets and business. Also many might be surprised what one can learn on a golf course.. I just received this email which you really need to think how you would have handled this situation..

A Husband takes his wife to play her first game of golf.....Unfortunately, the wife promptly whacked her first shot right through the window of the biggest house adjacent to the course.

The husband cringed, "I warned you to be careful! Now we'll have to go up there, find the owner, apologize and see how much your lousy drive is going to cost us."

So the couple walked up to the house and knocked on the door. A warm voice said, "Come on in."

When they opened the door they saw the damage that was done: glass was all over the place, and a broken antique bottle was lying on its side near the broken window.

A man reclining on the couch asked, "Are you the people that broke my window?"

"Uh...yeah, sir. We're really sorry about that," the husband replied.

"Oh, no apology is necessary. Actually I want to thank you... You see, I'm a genie , and I've been trapped in that bottle for a thousand years. Now that you've released me, I'm allowed to grant three wishes. I'll give you each one wish, but if you don't mind, I'll keep the last one for myself."

"Wow, that's great!" the husband said. He pondered a moment and blurted out, "I'd like a million pounds a year for the rest of my life."

"No problem," said the genie. "You've got it, it's the least I can do. And I'll guarantee you a long, healthy life!" "And now you, young lady, what do you want?" the genie asked.

"I'd like to own a gorgeous home complete with servants in every country in the world," she said.

"Consider it done," the genie said. "And your homes will always be safe from fire, burglary and natural disasters!"

"And now," the couple asked in unison, what's your wish, genie?"

"Well, since I've been trapped in that bottle and haven't been with a woman in more than a thousand years, my wish is to have sex with your wife."

The husband looked at his wife and said, "Gee, honey, you know we both now have a fortune, and all those houses. What do you think?"

She mulled it over for a few moments and said, "You know, you're right. Considering our good fortune, I guess I wouldn't mind, but what about you, honey?"

"You know I love you sweetheart," said the husband. I'd do the same for you!"
So the genie and the woman went upstairs where they spent the rest of the afternoon enjoying each other in every way. After about three hours of non-stop sex, the genie rolled over and looked directly into her eyes and asked, "How old are you and your husband?"

"Why, we're both 35," she responded breathlessly.

"NO SH*T." He said, "Thirty-five years old and you both still believe in genies?"

posted on Dec, 27 2017 @ 02:24 AM
link   
Remember in 70's when I was a corporate rep,I used to drive a company car,always had golf clubs,and bottles of liquor,and ice chest,was also a good golfer,sold millions while playing

top topics

join