It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My Christmas Gift...My 17 Year Old Son "Came Out" To Me

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 26 2017 @ 05:59 AM
link   
a reply to: shawmanfromny

This was a pleasure to read, and speaks volumes about you and your wife. Congratulations to you both for being great parents 👍👍👍

posted on Dec, 26 2017 @ 06:18 AM
link   
a reply to: deltaalphanovember

That was great! Thanks for your comment

posted on Dec, 26 2017 @ 06:19 AM
link   
a reply to: FinallyAwake

Thanks so much...I appreciate the compliment.

posted on Dec, 26 2017 @ 06:24 AM
link   
a reply to: ChesterJohn

Well, the truth of the matter is....I wasn't 100% positive. His sister kept denying to me that both he and his friend were gay. He also attended his junior prom with a very attractive girl. In addition, I kept reinforcing the fact that he was free to approach both his mom and me about "anything." I told him to PLEASE not hold any secrets, because of that "unconditional love" deal. I wanted him to feel comfortable about coming out when he was ready to. Thanks for your comment!

posted on Dec, 26 2017 @ 06:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Raggedyman

I couldn't agree more...being a parent takes work, with lots of patience, love, and compassion thrown in. Thanks for your nice comment.

posted on Dec, 26 2017 @ 07:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: TinfoilTP

edit on 26-12-2017 by Abysha because: Transphobia is too boring to get excited about this morning.

posted on Dec, 26 2017 @ 07:55 AM
link   

Thank you for the heartwarming story, perfect for Christmas reading. You both seem incredibly lucky to have such an amazing family.

Merry Christmas to an awesome dad.

posted on Dec, 26 2017 @ 08:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Abysha

Thanks so much for that kind comment...Have a Happy New Year!

posted on Dec, 26 2017 @ 08:19 AM
link   
Well you can still buy him a Nintendo Switch.

posted on Dec, 26 2017 @ 08:28 AM
link   
If my son came out to me I wouldn't consider it a gift, instead I would just pretend to be happy like I did when his mom told me she was pregnant. Apparently I'm a horrible person.

posted on Dec, 26 2017 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Fantastic story. When my youngest daughter revealed to me that she was bi sexual leaning gay sometime back and I suppose all in all I really wasn't much surprised.
She's very bright, set to graduate early if she chooses, has always been fiercely competitive and athletic, very popular and a shining light in whichever setting she finds herself. She was and is the most outgoing of my children, no fear of the world.
I was, I feel, waiting on the day that she could say the words. She dated some boys. Popular, athletic like her, good in school, responsible. Her prom date last year was the typical rugged football player type (who secured a scholarship to Ohio) they are friends to this day however no romance could have ever been hoped for by him as she has made it clear that her interest is not in a 'traditional' relationship.
I was concerned because we live not only in the Bible Belt but it is a staunchly Christian/right leaning area and deviations from one's 'expected' roles in this community can be met harshly. She's endured some bullying and such over the years. She never 'dressed' like a girl and as funny as that is...one can be called out for something like that, here. She had a very close friend from our travelling basketball days who committed suicide a couple of months ago. She had been tormented for some time for being gay. The school made the news for allegations of dismissing the bullying or choosing to ignore it. Her parents spent Christmas without their daughter. They texted my daughter asking her to not be sad but, enjoy the love of her family. It was generous of them to think of her. I keep an extra close eye on my daughter these days.
I think my daughter felt safe in telling me when she knew for certain in her mind. My sister has been gay my entire life. I never met the woman (my sister) who married a man and had two boys of her own. I love her, why wouldn't I? Same with my children.
I think that your son is very lucky to have you all in his life.

posted on Dec, 26 2017 @ 08:36 AM
link   

That was a beautiful experience. Thank you for sharing it with us.

posted on Dec, 26 2017 @ 08:46 AM
link   
a reply to: TNMockingbird

Thank you for your comment and story. It's tough to see or hear about ANY kid being bullied. Wouldn't Jesus want us to show compassion, respect and unconditional love for everyone? Ticks me off, how some so-called Christians treat people. Large reason why I don't go to church anymore...too many damned judgmental hypocrites, who "think" they know the truth. Hope you and your family have a Happy New Year!

posted on Dec, 26 2017 @ 08:46 AM
link   
a reply to: kelbtalfenek

Thanks...that means a lot to me

posted on Dec, 26 2017 @ 09:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: shawmanfromny
a reply to: TNMockingbird

Thank you for your comment and story. It's tough to see or hear about ANY kid being bullied. Wouldn't Jesus want us to show compassion, respect and unconditional love for everyone? Ticks me off, how some so-called Christians treat people. Large reason why I don't go to church anymore...too many damned judgmental hypocrites, who "think" they know the truth. Hope you and your family have a Happy New Year!

Yes, I would like to think that 'God' would want us to be compassionate, respectful and love unconditionally but, I find that they may not be naturally occurring qualities in a lot of folks.
Ironically my youngest daughter considers herself a Christian. My oldest is Atheist.
A verse that I and we love regardless of where we sit as far as 'religions', 'spirituality' and 'deities' go.
Ruth 1:16

And Ruth said, Intreat me not to leave thee, or to return from following after thee: for whither thou goest, I will go; and where thou lodgest, I will lodge: thy people shall be my people, and thy God my God:

Happy New Year to you as well!

posted on Dec, 26 2017 @ 09:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: shawmanfromny

Ticks me off, how some so-called Christians treat people. Large reason why I don't go to church anymore...too many damned judgmental hypocrites, who "think" they know the truth.

Perception is a funny thing isn't it? I actually agree with you. Except I don't go to church anymore because of how tolerant they've become of homosexuality and gay marriage.

posted on Dec, 26 2017 @ 10:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Bone75

Well, I once thought that way, until I came to realize that gay people are born that way. It's "my opinion" that God wants us to love everyone, because God "is" love. Life is not only a gift from God, but an ongoing learning environment for our souls. It's "my opinion" that God gave us life, in order to learn how to love unconditionally, learn to respect one another, learn how to repent when we do wrong, learn to forgive and learn to pray to God when we need guidance or thanking him for our blessings. I don't need a church to do this, because it's "my opinion" that the Holy Spirit is part of God's divinity and resides in each of our souls. I remember reading about a theologian who stated that the Bible is not a rulebook for being Christian...it is instead, a widely varying collection of poetry, history, proverbs, moral directives, parables and letters. Compassion for others is the fundamental cornerstone of Christian ethics. So many judgmental Christians seem to have forgotten this passage in the Bible: "Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you. —Matthew 7:1.

posted on Dec, 26 2017 @ 11:23 AM
link   

A parents love for their children should always be unconditional.

posted on Dec, 26 2017 @ 11:31 AM
link   
thank you for the beautiful thread, OP. much love to you and your family, merry christmas!

posted on Dec, 26 2017 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Well bud just letting you, know you did right thing.
edit on 12/26/2017 by starwarsisreal because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join