It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Putin's main rival barred from next years election

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 25 2017 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Alexei Navalny is seen as the only real challenge to the reign of Tzar Putin in next years election but his challenge has been stopped in its tracks with the news that he is barred from standing as a candidate due to a conviction for corruption , a verdict that was later quashed by the European Court of Human Rights who said he had not been given a fair trial.

"We're declaring a strike by voters. The procedure that we're invited to take part is not an election," Mr Navalny said after the decision, adding that he would lead protests across the country.
Known for his anti-corruption campaign and protests against Mr Putin, Mr Navalny was given a five-year suspended sentence in a retrial earlier this year on embezzlement charges.

Reacting to the widely expected decision, Mr Navalny said the case was intended to block him from "speaking the truth" about the situation in Russia, and that barring him from running would deny millions of Russians their vote.
"Only Putin and the candidates that he personally chose, ones who don't pose the slightest threat to him, are taking part [in the vote]," he added. He said he would launch an appeal in Russia's Constitutional Court.
www.bbc.co.uk...

I hope he doesn't meet with an accident.
edit on 25-12-2017 by gortex because: spelll

posted on Dec, 25 2017 @ 01:10 PM
link   
April 1st Trump should Twitter out that's what he's going to do bar the Democrats from running!!!

HAHAHAHHOHOHO!!

posted on Dec, 25 2017 @ 01:13 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

...and this is the type of leader President Trump considers a friend.

+1 more 
posted on Dec, 25 2017 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Sounds like Putin is treating his opponents like the democrats treated Bernie.

posted on Dec, 25 2017 @ 01:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grambler

Boom.

posted on Dec, 25 2017 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Well, democracy in Russia is a sham. Alexei Navalny is an anti-corruption champion and a direct threat to the corruption that pervades all levels of Russian government and the judiciary.

posted on Dec, 25 2017 @ 01:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: gortex

I hope he doesn't meet with an accident.

So do I,
My guess is that he will have, or maybe already has, a lot to say about thieving and money laundering tactics done at government levels in Russia and, how they impinge on other countries like UK/Europe and the Americas as we know is happening from our own reporting sources, as well as all the banks involved, some of whom got off very lightly in the UK and America, and how it all compares.

posted on Dec, 25 2017 @ 01:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: paraphi
Well, democracy in Russia is a sham. Alexei Navalny is an anti-corruption champion and a direct threat to the corruption that pervades all levels of Russian government and the judiciary.

Russian political corruption is very focused and almost deliberately blatant. If you ask Putin if he is running snip with no contest he would probably give his famous chuckle and then the stone face.

You ask an American politician about corruption and you fall asleep from the blah bipartisan blah freedom blah democracy blah blah. Can never get a straight answer. They talk to their people like they are idiots because they believe they are.

I prefer Putin's style and apparently so do the Russian people.

posted on Dec, 25 2017 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Well, democracy in Russia is a sham.

Duh...... just figuring this out?

posted on Dec, 25 2017 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Didn't know Bernie got tried for corruption and embezzlement.

link   

originally posted by: pavil

If it took anyone this long to figure that out about Russia they will probably never realize that US democracy is even a bigger sham.

link   
He's not Putin's main rival. He has no party. Hardly any public support. Jill Stein has a better chance winning election in the US than his chance of winning in Russia. On top of that, his policies are crazy to say the least. Putin's main rival are the communists and the LDPR. But let's be honest, with 80% approval rating, Putin doesn't have a rival.

Putin established 13% flat individual tax in Russia in 2001. Putin created GLONASS, Su-57, T-14. Putin got Crimea back to Russia. Putin's achievements speak for themselves. Navalny compared to Putin is nothing but a joke.
edit on 25-12-2017 by zukitar because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 25 2017 @ 01:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: smurfy

Didn't know Bernie got tried for corruption and embezzlement.

No, he was ousted by corruption and embezzlement.

posted on Dec, 25 2017 @ 01:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Grambler

Two wrongs don't make a right.

posted on Dec, 25 2017 @ 01:56 PM
link   
a reply to: zukitar

He's not Putin's main rival.

Well it seems someone has gone to a lot of effort to get him out of the race don't you think.

Asked why Navalny had been barred from running, Putin – who has refused to mention him by name in public – said this month the opposition was hoping for a “coup” but would not succeed.
www.theguardian.com...

posted on Dec, 25 2017 @ 01:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: MALBOSIA

If it took anyone this long to figure that out about Russia they will probably never realize that US democracy is even a bigger sham.

I somehow doubt Trump was the result of the 2 Party System Elites gaming the system. Just a hunch. If he is, they are even more devious than I thought.

posted on Dec, 25 2017 @ 02:10 PM
link   

I somehow doubt Trump was the result of the 2 Party System Elites gaming the system. Just a hunch. If he is, they are even more devious than I thought.

Maybe not. But you saw how the system reacted when the illusion of choice actually chose the wrong one.

Your a deplorable person and pro pussy grabber if you votted against the only person you were given a respectable choice to vote for.

posted on Dec, 25 2017 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Maybe not. But you saw how the system reacted when the illusion of choice actually chose the wrong one.

Your a deplorable person and pro pussy grabber if you votted against the only person you were given a respectable choice to vote for.

I'd rather vote for a rapist than a bad woman like Hillary.

posted on Dec, 25 2017 @ 02:18 PM
link   

I'm surprised Navalny wasn't "scandaled" considering Putin's ties to the KGB.

posted on Dec, 25 2017 @ 02:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: starwarsisreal

I'm surprised Navalny wasn't "scandaled" considering Putin's ties to the KGB.

Navalny is just a useful idiot. Controlled opposition. He's the equivalent of a Jill Stein in the US.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join