It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Friend Shoots Friend To "See How It Feels". Friend Dead, Black Man Blamed..But You Won't Believe

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 03:18 AM
link   
Now let me say this...This happened about one mile from where I live. In no way does this reflect the mentality of this area. My jaw hit the floor.

"This was not an act of homicide," Finnerty said. "He (Wright) voluntarily put this vest on and wanted to experience what a 20-gauge shotgun would do if he had this vest on."

Now what makes this even better is these kids drove him from Hobart to Gary to take him to the hospital. We have a hospital right here. Closer than Gary. So why there? The story they told the cops was that they were at a liqour store in Gary. They wanted someone to cop them some beer. This black guy walked up out of nowhere and shot him. No reason. He just pointed a gun at the windshield and shot him.

This is how it was originally reported was on friday. It read like a sob story. Poor kid just went to Gary (all black, hes white suburb kid) and this black man shot him

A 20-year-old rural Crown Point man died early Thursday morning of a single gunshot wound to the chest he sustained during an incident in downtown Gary, officials said.

He said it isn't entirely clear why the three men were in Gary, but they told Gary police Detective Tom Decanter Jr. they had traveled to the city to purchase alcohol.

He said Wright was transported by two of his friends, both from Hobart, after the shooting at 41st Avenue and Broadway.

Now comes todays paper, and....uh-oh....they boys folded under questioning. No, it seems our poor lass wasnt shot by some crazed gunman in downtown Gary. No instead, it seems that he was preparing to leave for the Army. He was sure he going to Iraq and even more sure he was going to be shot. So he got the idea to fashion himself his own, HOMEMADE flak jacket and and have his friends shoot him at close range with a 20 gauge shot-gun in the stomache. Needless to say, it didnt hold up to well.

Three Hobart men were charged Friday in connection with the death of a friend who apparently asked to be shot while wearing a flak jacket, Hobart police Lt. Leo Finnerty said.

Police believe Daniel J. Wright, 20, formerly of Hobart and more recently of rural Crown Point, wanted to experience a gunshot firsthand before entering the military, but died shortly after a friend pulled the trigger.

"This was not an act of homicide," Finnerty said. "He (Wright) voluntarily put this vest on and wanted to experience what a 20-gauge shotgun would do if he had this vest on."

Original report from 2/11. This allready sounded fishy, but who would have thought....

Ok, now let that soak in for second....

Now read the "New and Improved" story from the police...

Words can't express how proud this makes me to call this lovely little city of Hobart home. The really sad thing is that this kid probably could have lived. If the numbskulls woudl have taken him to the hospital right here, they could have been here in about 10 minutes, instead they go to Gary and thats about a good half hour drive with NO traffic. What do you think the kids are going to get? Years or a slap? This is going to be good....

[edit on 14-2-2005 by spliff4020]

[edit on 14-2-2005 by spliff4020]

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 04:04 AM
link   
The Darwin Awards are gonna be great this year. This is the fourth story so far I think, in just a couple of months.

There was the guy who bet his balls against Wales. There was the Indian guy who removed his package, saying it was useless because his wife wouldn't sleep with him. There was the guy who shot his balls off during a bank robbery or something. What else? Oh, wasn't there a guy who died in a Tiger pen, or a Lion pen, while trying to preach Christianity to them? Or was that last year.

It's good to see evolution keeping up with humanity.

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Well, it just goes to show that you can never underestimate the levels of stupidity that people posses. I dont think that this is the end of thestory though. SOmething tells me theres more to follow.....

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 03:21 PM
link   
UPDATE ------ It wasnt a "homemade" flak jacket. Still, morons nonetheless...god bless america and no gun control

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 03:37 PM
link   
AQnd what does gun control have to do with anything? Are you a gun grabber? Go to politics and look up slug fest post, would love to finally have someone to argue with over gun laws.(That don't work, a criminal breaks the law, so a gun law, does not apply) Also, if it is an accident, you can't blame the gun and try to make laws against them. Why? Well, car accidents kill more. Drowning Accidents kill more. Cooking accidents kill more. So, unless you are going to make Anti-Cooking, Driving, and water laws, stop going after guns. More kids drown in mop buckets then are killed by guns, so lets ban mop buckets.

Anyways, this is why the Darwin Awards were created.

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by spliff4020
UPDATE ------ It wasnt a "homemade" flak jacket. Still, morons nonetheless...god bless america and no gun control

I would say only in Gary, but I don't want to get shot.

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by James the Lesser
AQnd what does gun control have to do with anything? Are you a gun grabber? Go to politics and look up slug fest post, would love to finally have someone to argue with over gun laws.(That don't work, a criminal breaks the law, so a gun law, does not apply) Also, if it is an accident, you can't blame the gun and try to make laws against them. Why? Well, car accidents kill more. Drowning Accidents kill more. Cooking accidents kill more. So, unless you are going to make Anti-Cooking, Driving, and water laws, stop going after guns. More kids drown in mop buckets then are killed by guns, so lets ban mop buckets.

Anyways, this is why the Darwin Awards were created.

True true, but you need a license for a car. Usually only people that know how to swim jump in the water.....Perhaps these kids arent the poster children for gun control, but definitly birth control.

Ps...i think your wrong about cooking accidents killing more people that guns. I can swallow that. Cars, ya, but cooking? C'mon now....

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kosmo Yagkoto

I would say only in Gary, but I don't want to get shot.

Now this didnt happen in Gary. Just outside by a couple of miles. Although out here, thats a world of difference. The kids thought they could blame it on some black guy and the cops would believe them...lol

Here was my first clue it was BS....how many black guys do you know walk around with a 20 guage shotgun? 9s and 45s sure...But shotguns? Whitey all the way...

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 03:46 PM
link   
KOSMO --- where in indiana are you? I just noticed that on your avatar..

JAMES THE LESSER ---> Not so much a gun control arguement, but a stupidty one..Although I hate guns and would love to see them all gone.

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 03:47 PM
link   

KOSMO --- where in indiana are you? I just noticed that on your avatar..

I live in Marion, IN......believe me, its no prize either.

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Flak Jacket = protection from shrapnel (flak)

Bullet Proof Vest = protection from bullets

I second the vote for Darwin Nomination......

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by WyrdeOne
The Darwin Awards are gonna be great this year. This is the fourth story so far I think, in just a couple of months.

There was the guy who bet his balls against Wales. There was the Indian guy who removed his package, saying it was useless because his wife wouldn't sleep with him. There was the guy who shot his balls off during a bank robbery or something. What else? Oh, wasn't there a guy who died in a Tiger pen, or a Lion pen, while trying to preach Christianity to them? Or was that last year.

It's good to see evolution keeping up with humanity.

Don't forget about the guy who put his balls in the ball washer at the Mini-Golf course, while his friend had the honors of plunging the "CorkScew Action" ball washer into action. If I remember right the man did die from it too.

Aside from that though. Why didn't this guy atleast try it out first without having it on??? Or even using a handgun or something instead of a close range shotgun??? I mean give it a test run first against a tree or something.

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by wloch

The majority of bullet resistant jackets are only effective against smaller caliber handgun rounds. Most jackets people have offer little or no protection against shotgun of rifle rounds. There is no way in hell I would allow anyone to shoot me while wearing any vest with any caliber round. No vest offers 100 percent protection.

I would say that the gene pool in the area is a little better off because of that.

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 04:05 PM
link   
LOL..it does feel a little smarter around here. I dont know if I think that the kids should be charged...He asked for it...I dunno,,,I gotta goto work. Ill be back on later to see where this goes...

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by wloch

I agree they dont call the Flak Jakets for nothing, Im also pretty sure it says right on the inside of the vest it is not designed to stop bullets.

Always read the tag

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 04:14 PM
link   
(un)cool this about flak jackets is you can stab right through them with a sharpend pencil. This is a great demonstration of what they are designed for.....

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Food poisoning, fires from cooking, they kill more then guns. I didn't mean "hmmm, this carrot looks good for this soup, oh no, the carrot is attacking!"

Anyways, you don't NEED a license to drive, you just need one to drive legally. And these kids were stupid, so one would assume a stupid person who doesn't know how to swim could and would jump in the deep end to impress someone or something. You can't use stupidity/accidents to ban something. Hell, cyanide is a known poison, used in rat poison, yet ciggarettes have cyanide in them. So until you ban cyanide, well, you get the point.

posted on Feb, 15 2005 @ 01:35 PM
link   
IMHO ------> Guns are stupid and a waste. Nothing productive comes from them. Not one productive thing. Nothing would make me happier than to see them all go away. Let the people who need em, have em. But I cant see a reason for any normal family to have a loaded 9 under the mattress. Just no good reason.

Before I hear about the government coming to take them and hitler and blah blah blah, lemme just say that you and your 9 aint gonna stop uncle sam. The only thing that its going to stop is little Jimmies heart. I think guns suck and I wish people would see them for what they are. With no control you have an Iraq scenario where its just anarchy.

I like gun laws and think there should be more. Hell, put layer after layer of laws on them. Make it so hard to get that noone wants to bother. Also enforce the ones on hand.

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 07:54 AM
link   

IMHO ------> Guns are stupid and a waste. Nothing productive comes from them. Not one productive thing. Nothing would make me happier than to see them all go away. Let the people who need em, have em. But I cant see a reason for any normal family to have a loaded 9 under the mattress. Just no good reason.

spliff4020 I respect your opinion but there are some gun owners such as myself who are prior military and take firearm ownership seriously. Yes it would be a perfect world if no-one had firearms but that is not the case. Regulation is the way to "attempt" to control firearms as best as the United States can. I personally have a Glock 19 "9mm" that is in a "quick combo" safe in my closet. I have young children and they are educated and have been educated about firearms since they could comprehend such teachings.

One of the things about firearm ownership that does frighten me is nearly "anyone" can purchase a firearem today. There are to many loopholes in the system.... and until then I will continue to be an owner.....

As for the no-good reason to have a loaded "9" I can think of multiple scenarios that would benifit having a firearm in your possession....

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Well, its a good thing its locked up in a safe. You can get it quick, huh? I wont argue gun control. I have my opinion, as do many people. I personally dont own one and never will allow one in my house. Just my opinion.

I know all the laws and blah blah blah...Still doesnt change the fact that there isnt ONE CONSTRUCTIVE THING that you use a 9 for.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join