It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

AT&T announces thousands of layoffs, firings just in time for Christmas

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 25 2017 @ 11:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Southern Guardian

These got to be union jobs right? After all unions make pay and benefit packages too expensive for corps to continue to pay. Right?

posted on Dec, 25 2017 @ 11:56 AM
link   

No big surprise they bought direct TV to convert them to uverse. This happens when a company buys a competitor you take on workers in areas you need them and release the ones in areas you are all ready established. This was planned before the tax cuts and have nothing to do with them.

posted on Dec, 25 2017 @ 12:05 PM
link   
a reply to: charlyv

I have DirecTV and fast forward every commercial. You have to record it, not watch it.

posted on Dec, 25 2017 @ 12:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

As always, workers have to adapt to the changing needs of society, or suffer the consequences.

What a miserably stupid and unnecessary existence. Look around you... we're capable of anything when we put our heads together.

posted on Dec, 25 2017 @ 01:08 PM
link   
a reply to: charlyv

Commercials really did TV in for me, as there were more commercial minutes in most shows and documentaries than content. Even recording them and skipping through the commercials were not options in a lot of DTV content, as they would not even let you fast forward some of it. Good riddance.

I agree totally. The amount of minutes devoted to commercials has become ridiculous! People are paying to see TV programming, not to be interrupted by five minutes of commercials every 10 to 15 minutes. I actually feel advertisers should be paying consumers a royalty fee for advertising into the privacy of their home. You certainly can't set up a table in a private business and advertise without getting approval from the business or be charged an advertising placement fee.

Unfortunately, the internet is going in the same direction with all it's pop-up ads. Again, consumers are paying for a service but end up taking a back seat when it comes to corporate advertisers! They're disrupting our paid services, and our rights to privacy in our own homes.

Consumer rights like everything else that affects citizens is being ignored by our elected officials. Corporations have their ear and are their major priority.

posted on Dec, 25 2017 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Better than the company I worked for - I was hired in Oct. and the first business day after Christmas they laid of 50% of the workers. People who spent money for Christmas thinking they would have job when the came back from holiday is definitely worse than knowing going in to the holiday it won't be there. Might spoil the holiday but save your personal finances somewhat.

posted on Dec, 25 2017 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Meh, buddy, its just what the old legacy US industrial companies do. Used to work for a major oil company; dreaded Christmas because the old Legacy US Industrial companies love to announce layoffs for Christmas. I guess its to get people/payroll off the books for the new year coming up.

But its the reason to own stock in these companies; pay a good dividend and maintain efficiencies.

posted on Dec, 25 2017 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Landline tech is not legacy. Stop it! Stop it! None of you have ANY IDEA what you are saying. Make it stop!!!

posted on Dec, 25 2017 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Had a problem with a receiver 2 weeks ago, my wife called and they sent a new box and instructions on how to install.
I told my wife then look they are eliminating jobs. It turned out to be the wrong box they sent ended up getting a tec anyway.

posted on Dec, 25 2017 @ 05:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: smurfy
So we can easily presume that AT&T will just let their whole obligations die of old age, then they can charge whatever they like for wireless, while their broadband systems will be capped and/or pay more, even as those already creaky systems themselves become comparatively old hat.

I doubt offices are going to go wireless, the amount of frequency use could prohibit that by requiring each business to have its own cell.

Yes, that's my point really, these firms are too mealy mouthed to pay for stuff unless they have to, and in America being so big they need a hugggge investment just to keep up with wireless alone, while it's really the fibre optics that will be the big player, in the city broadband capability will be so fast, as quick as a light switch, and only slower by not much in outlying areas, but that will be an even huuuger investment, but probably much more reliable/less maint'. So, the like of AT&T and Verizon have something of a conundrum ahead. Who is going to pay, and for what?

posted on Dec, 25 2017 @ 05:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: SR1TX
Landline tech is not legacy. Stop it! Stop it! None of you have ANY IDEA what you are saying. Make it stop!!!

I disagree, landlines are a legacy tech.

The LEC around here is essentially doing away with POTS service..

At the CO level copper is being replaced with fiber and while that isn't an indication of moving away from landlines traditional TDM switching is a dying thing.

Alwyas willing to talk about phones if you want but I'm too busy playing with my old blue boxes..lol

posted on Dec, 25 2017 @ 08:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: charlyv

I don't like Direct TV, and obviously there are many others. My contract is up with them in January, and they are out.
I am not going to replace it with Comcast or Verizon. I can get what I want with Amazon, Netflix and a good HD Antenna, as many have figured out already.

Commercials really did TV in for me, as there were more commercial minutes in most shows and documentaries than content. Even recording them and skipping through the commercials were not options in a lot of DTV content, as they would not even let you fast forward some of it. Good riddance.

When I was in the States I happen to watch television and I said wtf, commercial after commercial. I went outside for a walk. Oh, and them drug commercials are so addictive like, get me a joint to smoke right now. America really has lost it and I truly mean that.

posted on Dec, 26 2017 @ 06:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: smurfy
So, the like of AT&T and Verizon have something of a conundrum ahead. Who is going to pay, and for what?

I don't see it being any different than now, they maintain their own infrastructure.

posted on Dec, 26 2017 @ 07:40 AM
link   
This is pitiful, lets be real. This is only thread worthy as a result of a partisan user taking aim at the recent tax moves, more importantly, ATT announcing what they would do with the tax breaks.

Here comes ol'southerner with the hit pieces to water down the bype with layoffs from dying industry sectors, lmfao, please you gotta try harder.

Thank god for logical and critically thinking users of ATS who quickly dispel BS hit pieces.

This thread should really be about "What we can do to save those technologies". As far as I am seeing, what we grew up with is literally being buried and new tech advancing.

posted on Dec, 26 2017 @ 10:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: Vasa Croe

It sounds like the layoffs are from sectors that nobody uses much anymore. I can tell you the only people I know with landlines are senior citizens. And direct tv is dying out too.

Is ATT supposed to just keep people working for a sector that is dying just to keep them working?

It's just like any profession someone can pick....tech changes and so does the job market with it.

I feel bad for them but this has nothing to do with any politics or tax cuts....it's simply as stated in your article....legacy service sectors.

100% correct.
Unprofitable services and products don't stick around long.
Remember zip drives and PDA's? Obsolete. Has nothing to do with anyone's politics, just not making money anymore- so, bye bye...
It's just standard buisness.

posted on Dec, 26 2017 @ 02:52 PM
link   
merry christmas, here is your last paycheck. i know the feeling all too well. it is almost impossible to keep a steady job these days.

posted on Dec, 26 2017 @ 05:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: SR1TX

With the rollout of 5G I can see a great demand for landlines again.

posted on Dec, 27 2017 @ 01:07 PM
link   
a reply to: MOMof3

1 we need new weapons for when space invaders arrive
2. i say cut spending on education that is not teaching kids stuff they need like,math,science,reading and writing,science, history , arts, trades =shop,mechanics. not anything to do with political views or religious crap or gender selection

3. obamacare is a gov mandated way for insurance companies way to fleece america it needs to be replaced with national health care . i propose a national sales tax on every good sold that does not already have a national sales tax that includes stocks on stock market tax should be 2 to 4 cent on the dollar

posted on Dec, 27 2017 @ 01:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: proteus33
a reply to: MOMof3

1 we need new weapons for when space invaders arrive
2. i say cut spending on education that is not teaching kids stuff they need like,math,science,reading and writing,science, history , arts, trades =shop,mechanics. not anything to do with political views or religious crap or gender selection

3. obamacare is a gov mandated way for insurance companies way to fleece america it needs to be replaced with national health care . i propose a national sales tax on every good sold that does not already have a national sales tax that includes stocks on stock market tax should be 2 to 4 cent on the dollar

I like all three of those ideas. I would have homeschooled all three of my kids had I got a salary but I had to earn a wage.
Do you think private corporations would invest in such ideas on a large scale?

posted on Dec, 27 2017 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Say it's not true, that AT&T would do such a thing. It just got major tax concessions and free reign over the internet. That was not enough?

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join