It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

AT&T announces thousands of layoffs, firings just in time for Christmas

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 25 2017 @ 09:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Vector99

Is that how the free market works? It sounds more like poor vision by their six figure managers. Stuck in a box. Just waiting for the next bonus.

posted on Dec, 25 2017 @ 09:20 AM
link   
a reply to: MOMof3

It sounds like they are no longer needed.

The reason employees are needed is to service the customers.

If subscriptions go up, they hire people, if they go down they lay people off.

It's not rocket science.

posted on Dec, 25 2017 @ 09:26 AM
link   

You can’t blame the customer if the business doesn’t sell what they want. I can’t believe I’m defending free market principles on ATS.

posted on Dec, 25 2017 @ 09:29 AM
link   
a reply to: MOMof3

Hey, at least you understand this is something that would have happened regardless of the tax cut.

Merry Christmas!

posted on Dec, 25 2017 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Technology replacing labor isn’t rocket science either. I’ve known it since the first computer I operated. IBM360 mod 40. That’s 360k of memory in a box the size of a car. We’ve come a long way.
Happy Holidays

posted on Dec, 25 2017 @ 09:43 AM
link   
At&t has over 270,000 employees.
They are laying off just over 1,000.

Sucks to be in the 1,000 but the remaining 99.997% for their employees still have a good paying job with benefits.

posted on Dec, 25 2017 @ 11:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: SR1TX

lmao WHAT?

Do you even know how many people still use DSL? Cable? What do you think all the wireless tech they are rolling out will buttress against for support?

Holy Jeebus the ignorance!

Shhss! stop telling the truth! Simple fact, fibre optic cables are the new essential, they are rolling them out all over the UK, not only that, the newest FO's, or rather the new technologies are 50,000 times faster than superfast broadband as it is. Download the whole series of Game of Thrones in a second...etc.
Now, I have no idea of what AT&T think they are doing, but they must be walking backwards for Christmas.
Of course I note the 'tough Titty' guys here playing the OP down, one of them claims he put Trump in the White House, even though he knew Trump was a dick, while the other claims Trump is the son of Jesus...I kid you not.
Good on you my man..

edit on 25-12-2017 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Dec, 25 2017 @ 11:05 AM
link   
At least the Union can help those fired to find employment in another sector of communications. Without the CWA, they would have been SOL.

Union proud, Union Strong....

www.cwa-union.org...

posted on Dec, 25 2017 @ 11:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: Vasa Croe
Is ATT supposed to just keep people working for a sector that is dying just to keep them working?

Yes! They should! The name of the damn company is American Telephone and Telegraph, I think they can put many of those people back to work stringing telegraph lines across the vast country of ours so we can have some form of modern communication. I need my 4G telegraph!

posted on Dec, 25 2017 @ 11:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Southern Guardian

Expect lots of layoffs and terminations in the "Legacy" divisions of communications providers. Here's the latest statistics on how many people are leaving Direct-TV, Comcast, etc.. aka "cutting the cord". Record numbers coming in..

www.cnet.com...

Hundreds of thousands of terminations in ObamaCare-related insurance and medical sectors the past 3 years, too.

As always, workers have to adapt to the changing needs of society, or suffer the consequences.

posted on Dec, 25 2017 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Well thanks a lot. . . OBAMA!

posted on Dec, 25 2017 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Landlines are pretty much obsolete everywhere. Why should certain folks be forced to buy obsolete products and services just to keep people employed? Where are all the wagon wheel manufacturers of blacksmiths or candlemakers? Yankee candle not withstanding. They had to specialize to stay in business. These things happen. It's progress.

posted on Dec, 25 2017 @ 11:21 AM
link   
a reply to: DerBeobachter

I gave every employee a Christmas bonus at my store. New people got fifty dollars. Those from one to five years got five hundred and everyone over five years got a thousand.
And everyone got a frozen turkey too!

I didn't need the govt to give me a break to treat people decently. I just did.

posted on Dec, 25 2017 @ 11:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

I just refrained from slapping my employees for a day.

They sent me a fruit basket.

posted on Dec, 25 2017 @ 11:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme

And everyone got a frozen turkey too!

I handed out frozen carcasses to my direct reports as well.

They were mostly their predecessors so I think the motivational message was understood.

posted on Dec, 25 2017 @ 11:25 AM
link   
a reply to: SR1TX

Hmm I ran my store so I could get rich. I didn't want to work to make someone else rich.
That's exactly the way it is supposed to work.

posted on Dec, 25 2017 @ 11:26 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Merry Christmas.

posted on Dec, 25 2017 @ 11:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
Well thanks a lot. . . OBAMA!

We don't always agree, but you make me laugh a lot anyway.

One thing I forgot to mention in my other post, the US landlines are a utility there right?

So we can easily presume that AT&T will just let their whole obligations die of old age, then they can charge whatever they like for wireless, while their broadband systems will be capped and/or pay more, even as those already creaky systems themselves become comparatively old hat.

posted on Dec, 25 2017 @ 11:32 AM
link   
a reply to: smurfy

Good point.

Touche'

posted on Dec, 25 2017 @ 11:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: smurfy
So we can easily presume that AT&T will just let their whole obligations die of old age, then they can charge whatever they like for wireless, while their broadband systems will be capped and/or pay more, even as those already creaky systems themselves become comparatively old hat.

I doubt offices are going to go wireless, the amount of frequency use could prohibit that by requiring each business to have its own cell.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join