It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Photos of the Australian Army

page: 1

join
share:
D

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 02:34 AM
link   
Happened to come across these photos when having a look around the Australian Department of Defence website, they have a treasure trove of great pictures of the Australian Army/Navy/Air Force in Action in various theatres

Sample:

Sample Pic

Aussie SAS in Afghanistan

And here's some various photos:

General Photos

Enjoy.

[edit on 14/2/05 by D]

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 06:27 AM
link   
Found a few more gems.
sea mines
F-18
Commando

You dont suppose those Migs would have been helpful?
Were they grounded because of a shortage of spare parts?

D

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 07:43 PM
link   
From what I read in the newspaper, the Iraqi's were ordered not to bother with mounting an air to air defence when the Americans entered Iraq. I guess most thought there wasn't much point in wasting any aircraft or pilots. And it was a fair assumption considering the power of the USAF.

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Cool pictures I found it interesting that not really any of those pics show people with the standard Australian service rifle. They all seem to have M-4s with M203 grenade launchers.

The Steyr was standard issue is Australia right?

Is it just the Australian SF that prefer to go with the M-4 or something?

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Yeah the Steyr is the standard weapon of the Aussie ( not sure about Newzealand ) Armed forces. Seems like the M4 is popular with a lot of SF around the World. I know British SAS and the Aussie SAS use that weapon as it has a proven track record, its light compared to a lot of other Rifles and i suspect its easy to maintain as well.

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Thats saying alot about the M-4 if those countries Special Forces use the gun. Just like the MP-5 I guess many countries SFs use that as the CQC weapon of choice.

People can argue what guns are the best but I guess all you have to do is look at what a majority of the pros use to find the real answer.

[edit on 14-2-2005 by ShadowXIX]

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowXIX
Thats saying alot about the M-4 if those countries Special Forces use the gun. Just like the MP-5 I guess many countries SFs use that as the CQC weapon of choice.

People can argue what guns are the best but I guess all you have to do is look at what a majority of the pros use to find the real answer.

The M-4 is a fine rifle, apparently the SAS wont use anything else for Desert or Jungle warfare. I quite like the Stoner Rifle 47, it can be chambered to use the Ruskie 7.62 ammo and can be used with the AK Mag as well. Looks like it could be useful in CQB and AK ammo and mags in a place like Iraq are probably 10 a penny.

Stoner Rifle 47

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 08:51 PM
link   
The resaon the M4 is used by our commandos and SAS is because it was found to be more reliable than the Steyr. In East Timor there were about 30 accidental discharges from Steyr rifles.

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by D
From what I read in the newspaper, the Iraqi's were ordered not to bother with mounting an air to air defence when the Americans entered Iraq. I guess most thought there wasn't much point in wasting any aircraft or pilots. And it was a fair assumption considering the power of the USAF.

I guess that just shows that Iraqi military leaders were planning on the post war insurgency to defeat the USA and its allies. The Iraqis army was fighting a delaying action to ensure the insurgency was organized to face the Americans in post war Iraq.

Mayabe the Iraqis should have spend more time training and getting aircraft operational instead of waging a war of rhetoric . Mind you thinking was encourged by saddams regime.
If Iraq had possessed chemical weapons they may have used aircraft as a delivery system.

Should a miracle happen and Iraq becomes a stable democracy an air force will be needed to defend the country against its nutty neighbors. The new Iraqi air force woudnt be built overnight but how about some C130s to transport Iraqi sercuity forces?
Of course airbases and other instalations need to be built at the american tax payers expense.

D

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by rogue1
The resaon the M4 is used by our commandos and SAS is because it was found to be more reliable than the Steyr. In East Timor there were about 30 accidental discharges from Steyr rifles.

Heard about quite a few of those incidents. Also I'm guessing maybe reloading might be a bit quicker with an M4? Especially when prone. Might not be, but it might be another factor.

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Thats a interesting rifle even named after the father of the M-4/M-16 Eugene Stoner. Looks like a great gun , I really like the concept. "The barrel is free-floating, making the SR-47 the most accurate AK-47 clone in the world" Man I want one Ive always been a fan of the 7.62X39 forget that 5.45 stuff Russia uses now.

I like the Barrett M468 which is pretty much a M-4 chambered to fire the 6.8 Remington SPC which was designed by SF personal. Its really a amazing round that has much better preformance then the 5.56. For awhile the military was thinking of using that round in the new XM-8 but I dont think its going to happen now.

barrettrifles.com...

SKD

posted on Feb, 15 2005 @ 12:00 AM
link   
The steyr is also quite expensive compared to the M4, and attachments are also harder to come by and more expensive.

According to the defence people, the choice of the M4 over the steyr isn't based on any issues with the reliability of the steyr, but they could be just saying that to reassure the regular troops.

4RAR (commando regiment) and the SASR use the M4 as their assault rifle.

posted on Feb, 15 2005 @ 01:46 AM
link   
I still prefer the FN/FAL

posted on Feb, 15 2005 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Janus

Originally posted by ShadowXIX

The M-4 is a fine rifle, apparently the SAS wont use anything else for Desert or Jungle warfare. I quite like the Stoner Rifle 47, it can be chambered to use the Ruskie 7.62 ammo and can be used with the AK Mag as well. Looks like it could be useful in CQB and AK ammo and mags in a place like Iraq are probably 10 a penny.

Stoner Rifle 47

SR-47 huh? I think i'm in love

I love the AK and the round it fires, but I suppose the SCAR-H would be even better! I heard rumors it accepts AK mags chambered for 7.62x39mm

posted on Feb, 15 2005 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Yeah, the SR-47 is a piece of work aint it? Just goes to show that when you listen to the pro's you can get a weapon like the Stoner, i always thought the 5.56 round was a waste of time and money. I have yet to meet a Soldier who like that round who has been in a War zone, im sure someone likes it but im yet to meet him/her.

new topics

top topics

join