It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Holiday party gift question ... are there any sustainable "White Elephant" gifts?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 24 2017 @ 01:19 PM
link   
December 2017: Especially at some winter holiday parties, in some circles it is still popular to ask guests to bring a "White Elephant" gift. My question for you: Is there such a thing as a sustainable white elephant gift? Note --- the gift should be a thing, not a person, because at no time do people like to be lectured, least of all during the winter holidays.

Thanks for any light you can shed on this question. To all, a Happy Hanukkah, Happy Solstice, Merry Christmas, Happy Kwaanza, Happy New Year ... Happy Everything!

In addition, if you plan to see the new Star Wars movie, be aware that some movie theaters, to mark that occasion, are offering free group photos in their lobbies: Your group photos will be flanked by 2 storm troopers. You can be prepared for that by wearing a Jedi costume to the theater ... that way, the darkness in the photo will be balanced by the light. Back at ya, Disney.

Of the "white elephant gift websites," here's one that's less gross than the rest:

offbeathome.com...

posted on Dec, 24 2017 @ 01:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Uphill

You could get your right leaning friends a copy of hillarys book.
Or the left leaners get trumps book.

But a toilet bowl plunger is a classic white elephant.

posted on Dec, 24 2017 @ 01:26 PM
link   

the entire point of a " white elephant " = it is unsustainable

posted on Dec, 24 2017 @ 01:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

OK, will keep that in mind. So far, I'm leaning toward the under-$20.00 techno-gadget category. We may be making a last-minute trip to our local Fry's Electronics store here in California, before driving to that Christmas Eve family party.
edit on 12/24/2017 by Uphill because: Add word.

posted on Dec, 24 2017 @ 01:45 PM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

That's a fair point, and I hear you. But I'd rather aim for sustainability with that gift, anyway.

posted on Dec, 24 2017 @ 03:44 PM
link   

the gift should be a thing, not a person,

You mean you're not going to overnight a starving African child and gift him?

Tsk.

We had White Elephant last night. Gifts ranged from an echo dot, to candles, a shave kit, a lava lamp, starbucks gift card, nuts, to a bracelet.

Sustainable? A potted plant, a succulent?

posted on Dec, 26 2017 @ 10:07 AM
link   
a reply to: [post=22982133]Liquesence

Interesting ideas. Thank you, Obi-Wans. Someone on another social media site pointed out the following product that I like as well ... it is available at various online stores, and it is under $20.00. Link:

www.amazon.com...=sr_ob_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1514304020&sr=8-2-spons

posted on Dec, 26 2017 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Try fruit cake.

posted on Dec, 26 2017 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Another friend suggested an "under $10.00" category of white elephant gifts: Non-petroleum-based soaps, fair trade coffee/tea, rechargeable batteries, hand-crank flashlight, reusable travel mug, power-saving devices, ornaments from a local craft fair, etc.

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Cha-Cha-Cha-Chia! A Chia Pet, of course. Make it the Bob Ross one for added fun.... Happy little Chia Pet....

new topics

top topics

join