It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do Atheist Still Believe in God?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 24 2017 @ 07:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: randyvs
Atheism is just people in denial.

Odd. I feel like I was in denial when I was a theist.

posted on Dec, 24 2017 @ 07:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: MotherMayEye

I wouldn't want theism to go away...I really like Christmas.

It's sentimental, I know, but I just really like it.

I can do without theism. Wish it would go away.

BUT - - I also really like Christmas. I usually wish people a Happy Christmas. I make it about being Happy and loving people.

I stopped "commercial" Christmas years ago. Not that I don't give any gifts. If I see something I think is perfect for someone, I'll get it - - but, I will never, ever again feel obligated to get someone a gift. (kids excluded).

posted on Dec, 24 2017 @ 07:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: MotherMayEye

originally posted by: randyvs
Atheism is just people in denial.

Me too.

Atheism was like a revelation. A complete epiphany when I stepped completely out of the "God Circle".

posted on Dec, 24 2017 @ 07:51 PM
link   
a reply to: MotherMayEye

Partner man,

I believe in God is the positive response to the question
Do you believe in God?

I do not believe in God is the polarity and negative response.

And further more atheists on this very site have ended up
having to deny other facts of life to defend thier
arguments. And proving to me what I suspected for quite
sometime. That when you take God out of the equation
you xan't stop there. Until soon the support to your structure
will fail by looting it yourself. So it is in life being a hard taught,
as well as a hard learned lesson. Requiring very careful study. Not
complete and utter childish ignorance lacking all logic and
intelligent curiousity. If science is just denial of what it doesn't
know. Then it won't make any sense of anything either ever.
And will never truly know anything.

Oh wait that's pretty much what we do have, sorry.

I know a lot of you prolly hate my guts on this site.

But here in the United Ststes of who gives a sh1t.

Merry Christmas any odd way.

posted on Dec, 24 2017 @ 08:03 PM
link   
a reply to: randyvs

I definitely don't hate you. I just believe differently.

Merry Christmas, randy!

posted on Dec, 24 2017 @ 08:04 PM
link   
I normally don't give any thought to gods.

Even when reading novels that have them as characters. Those gods were once mortal through tribulations obtained immortality then later godhood. They are usually villains. Sometimes the main character reaches godhood then kills off the others.

Well, they are interesting stories.

posted on Dec, 24 2017 @ 08:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: NoCorruptionAllowed
It takes more faith for an atheist to believe there is no God than to believe in God. Atheism isn't really about believing or not believing though, it's about arrogance, vanity, pompous self importance, a purposeful lack of humility and rebellion against anything except the atheist's own desires. Once a person grows beyond the need for all those childish things and casts them away, (if they can ever get over themselves), can they discover that God exists and is waiting for them to begin seeing truth.

Seems that these same things can be applied to theists as well, don't ya think? (if they can ever get over themselves, can they discover that a God doesn't exist, and isn't waiting for them to begin seeing truth?

Those "childish things" are anything but!

posted on Dec, 24 2017 @ 08:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: edaced4

It takes more faith for an atheist to believe there is no God than to believe in God. Atheism isn't really about believing or not believing though, it's about arrogance, vanity, pompous self importance, a purposeful lack of humility and rebellion against anything except the atheist's own desires. Once a person grows beyond the need for all those childish things and casts them away, (if they can ever get over themselves), can they discover that God exists and is waiting for them to begin seeing truth.

Seems that these same things can be applied to theists as well, don't ya think? (if they can ever get over themselves, can they discover that a God doesn't exist, and isn't waiting for them to begin seeing truth?

The whole idea is to have a little faith at first and learn individually that God DOES exist. After that first step a person can discover that God is real for a fact, and it no longer requires any faith to know it. IF you are too proud to do that first, then it's your choice, but it's a choice you will exist with forever. God is rooting for everyone equally to try it that way, and I am here to tell you I know for an absolute fact he does exist. I can't un-discover what I already know is true.

posted on Dec, 24 2017 @ 08:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krahzeef_Ukhar

originally posted by: Woodcarver

Also i would posit that atheists are much less likely to join the military to fight bankers wars and bomb families and children. We are much more logical and are not easily swayed with emotional pleas Christianity has long been the tool to use to get people behind evil bureaucrats.

Athesists are just as dumb and easily lead as everyone else.
Also, no one joins the army to bomb families and children.

Dumb christians and dumb atheists should be equally mocked.

Wow! Really??

Agnostics should be mocked a little more until they make a choice.

posted on Dec, 24 2017 @ 08:33 PM
link   

The whole idea is to have a little faith at first and learn individually that God DOES exist. After that first step a person can discover that God is real for a fact, and it no longer requires any faith to know it. IF you are too proud to do that first, then it's your choice, but it's a choice you will exist with forever. God is rooting for everyone equally to try it that way, and I am here to tell you I know for an absolute fact he does exist. I can't un-discover what I already know is true.
So, you have to just start believing even though it makes absolutely no sense and there is no reason to start believing, and then after i start believing, then i will believe it.

You have started with a belief, and now Everything you see supports that belief. That is exactly what i would expect if you start with the belief first.

Is it ok to believe other things on mere faith alone? Is it a good idea to believe that the devil was the good guy all along? If i have faith that that is the truth? I think i’m getting the hang of this.
edit on 24-12-2017 by Woodcarver because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2017 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Also i would posit that atheists are much less likely to join the military to fight bankers wars and bomb families and children. We are much more logical and are not easily swayed with emotional pleas Christianity has long been the tool to use to get people behind evil bureaucrats.

So, you just think everyone is stupid, and that magic and jesus are just as likely as unlikely. This world must be really hard for you. But this is what to expect when you apply philosophy to answer a scientific question. Not that i have anything against philosophy, but it has no place in determining if something exists or not, or even the probability of something existing or not. I wouldn’t use a wrench on a Phillips head screw either. It’s simply not the right tool for the application.

posted on Dec, 24 2017 @ 08:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee
NO. Atheist means LACK OF BELIEF IN A GOD/DEITY.

How many times do we have to say exactly the same thing. Will people ever learn?

posted on Dec, 24 2017 @ 08:43 PM
link   

What is your proof that you "know for an absolute fact that he does exist"???

posted on Dec, 24 2017 @ 08:56 PM
link   

So, you just think everyone is stupid, and that magic and jesus are just as likely as unlikely. This world must be really hard for you.

Kinda, I think everyone is stupid as we don't have the ability to understand our reality.
I think magic isn't real, and I believe Jesus was real but David Blaine is probably better.

I'm happy to state my opinions.
I'm not happy to claim that my opinions are superior to any others.

Actually, I'm happy to state my opinions are superior to any others.
But I know there is no valid reason I should think that.

posted on Dec, 24 2017 @ 09:10 PM
link   

So, you just think everyone is stupid, and that magic and jesus are just as likely as unlikely. This world must be really hard for you.

Kinda, I think everyone is stupid as we don't have the ability to understand our reality.
I think magic isn't real, and I believe Jesus was real but David Blaine is probably better.
that’s funny, but it’s more likely that jesus was fictional and had many other people’s/culture’s stories pasted onto him. There are too many similarities with too many other stories. A conglomeration created by the mixing of cultures and the need to unify under one banner.

I'm happy to state my opinions.
I'm not happy to claim that my opinions are superior to any others.

Actually, I'm happy to state my opinions are superior to any others.
But I know there is no valid reason I should think that.
well your not giving me any compelling reasons to take you seriously.

posted on Dec, 24 2017 @ 09:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015

How many times do we have to say exactly the same thing. Will people ever learn?

Again, again, again, and again. Apparently.

And it never changes.

posted on Dec, 24 2017 @ 09:14 PM
link   

The word Atheist has no meaning.

A Theist believes in the existence of god.
An Agnostic says he doesn't know whether god exists or not.

But, what exactly is an Atheist?

How could anyone not believe in something which they don't believe exists?

Now, you could say, "I believe God exists, but I don't believe in him."

But, that's not what an Atheist claims.

The Atheist, paradoxically, claims to know what is God, and declares further that there is no such thing as God.

But, if you ask any Atheist to explain what is this God that doesn't exist, they can't describe that God.

They can only repeat the phrase "God doesn't exist."

But, they can't say what God is.

So, then the question is, how can anyone deny the existence of something which they are unable to describe?

See the point?

Only Theists and Agnostics are honest.

Atheists are all deceivers.

There really is no such thing as atheist. It's a contradiction.

To claim something doesn't exist, you must be able to describe that thing.

But if it doesn't exist, there's no description possible.

Therefore the claims of Atheists are all meaningless.

That's why they sweat, when asked the questions.

posted on Dec, 24 2017 @ 09:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: AMPTAH

How could anyone not believe in something which they don't believe exists?

Where did I say "don't believe"?

Lack of belief is "lack of belief"?

The real meaning of Agnostic is: "God can not be proven or dis-proven".

An atheist is agnostic.

YOU prove God - - factually, scientifically. Then we'll talk.

From American Atheists:

Atheism is one thing: A lack of belief in gods.

Atheism is not an affirmative belief that there is no god nor does it answer any other question about what a person believes. It is simply a rejection of the assertion that there are gods. Atheism is too often defined incorrectly as a belief system. To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods. Older dictionaries define atheism as “a belief that there is no God.” Clearly, theistic influence taints these definitions. The fact that dictionaries define Atheism as “there is no God” betrays the (mono)theistic influence. Without the (mono)theistic influence, the definition would at least read “there are no gods.” www.atheists.org...

edit on 24-12-2017 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2017 @ 09:22 PM
link   

And it never changes.
I feel like i spend most of my time here correcting the same 5 people when they try to describe what an atheist thinks and why we can’t possibly be good people like them.

posted on Dec, 24 2017 @ 09:29 PM
link   

And it never changes.
I feel like i spend most of my time here correcting the same 5 people when they try to describe what an atheist thinks and why we can’t possibly be good people like them.

For Real!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I feel I am a much better person since completely stepping out of the "God Circle".

Because, I live in the now. Everything I think or do will affect this place in the present. There is no magic afterwards.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join