It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do Atheist Still Believe in God?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 24 2017 @ 03:54 PM
link   
a reply to: StallionDuck

Early childhood indoctrination into religious stereotypes and theist mythology never truly leaves one, even after they decide that the god myth is simply a myth. When it comes to cursing one's family, I don't know anyone that would truly say such things and not be the least bit affected by it. Pretty silly if you ask me.

But hey, whoever spent the money on such a study...they got the result they were looking for...bless their tiny little hearts.

posted on Dec, 24 2017 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Alrighty. The international journal of religious psychology are the group who conducted this study. Looking into them now.

posted on Dec, 24 2017 @ 04:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: GeneralMayhem

originally posted by: Woodcarver

I hear this a lot.

There are no atheist in foxholes....

There Are No atheist in foxholes
This is simply a platitude that some think is true. Of course there are atheists in the military, and no amount of fear is going to make me suddenly give up on reason.

Also i would posit that atheists are much less likely to join the military to fight bankers wars and bomb families and children. We are much more logical and are not easily swayed with emotional pleas Christianity has long been the tool to use to get people behind evil bureaucrats.

The point is that you dont just give up on hope because hope appears abandonable . Especially when the next stop is at bereavement services

hope for what? I have never believed in gods and i am a pretty nice guy. I even volunteer at churches. I love the community i live with. I just don’t believe in gods, or that people who do have a monopoly on morality or any reason to accept these beliefs. I have addressed these points in many threads with no one being able to have a mature discussion about why they accept gods. “You gotta have faith” is the only line i get. I understand that faith is the only way to believe these stories. I want to know why believing in anything on faith alone is acceptable.
edit on 24-12-2017 by Woodcarver because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2017 @ 04:06 PM
link   

My take on it is like this. Even though I don't believe in gods I have a very strong concept in my mind of what one would be like. There would be a reaction of eversion to daring such a concept to cause harm to my family. Most atheists do not claim to know there is no god so god it is an open-ended question on their minds. We don't make positive claims of the unknown unlike believers.

I remember when the movie candyman came out we had fun daring others to call it out in the mirror when it was my turn it sent chills up my spine when I did it. Does that mean I believed the movie to be true? Of course not, but I had a strong concept/visualization in my mind that caused the aversion.

The two scenarios can be equated and so the aversion people feel can be understood on both basis.

posted on Dec, 24 2017 @ 04:12 PM
link   
I think this is more of the "harmfull actions wished" rather than the whom.
I would like to see this same test done using say ohh, shri-lankan staring tree frog. Just a thought.

posted on Dec, 24 2017 @ 04:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grimpachi

My take on it is like this. Even though I don't believe in gods I have a very strong concept in my mind of what one would be like. There would be a reaction of eversion to daring such a concept to cause harm to my family. Most atheists do not claim to know there is no god so god it is an open-ended question on their minds. We don't make positive claims of the unknown unlike believers.

I remember when the movie candyman came out we had fun daring others to call it out in the mirror when it was my turn it sent chills up my spine when I did it. Does that mean I believed the movie to be true? Of course not, but I had a strong concept/visualization in my mind that caused the aversion.

The two scenarios can be equated and so the aversion people feel can be understood on both basis.

This is a good description. In my brain, i have a concept of what a god is, because i have talked to many people about their beliefs. It is akin to my concept of zeus, thor, and bloody mary.

We don’t believe they are real, because we have no reason to think they are real. We know for a fact that they originated with fictional and exagerated stories.

posted on Dec, 24 2017 @ 04:23 PM
link   
I would say i'm an atheist but i believe in something just not a human figure type being that's got a beard that sits in the clouds etc but more of a force and yes i know it does sound like star wars lol

posted on Dec, 24 2017 @ 04:27 PM
link   

I think this is a great analogy.

posted on Dec, 24 2017 @ 04:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Woodcarver

Atheism doesn't exist.

wait though, you just listed a whole slew of bad characteristics that you apply to atheists

And seemingly you added to the list?

We are much more logical and are not easily swayed with emotional pleas

Anyway, I see the same flaws in this endeavor that likely account
for people taking such a ridiculous stance as atheism. The questions
OP has quoted add up to complete ignorance. "I wish God would kill
my parents"?

WTF is that? I mean really? These people doing the servay don't
even have a clue. Or maybe they do. Let's dress God up like a
murder for hire bell hop that waits on his creations beckon
call. Completely obscuring the fact that the only meaning his
creations life could ever have according to rational thought
would be to serve him, in gratitude and amazement of his
power and glory.

But we aren't even worthy of that. The very idea of
atheism is proof enough for me.

edit on Rpm122417v45201700000052 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2017 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Given the definition of atheist then the answer is NO.

A bigger question :

What is it about atheists that so terrifies non atheists resulting in post after post similar to this ?

Come on StallionDuck answer the question what is it about atheists that so terrifies you that you feel the need to post an "atheists are not atheists" post along with all the others by so many different folks here on ATS?

edit on 24/12/2017 by yorkshirelad because: grammar

edit on 24/12/2017 by yorkshirelad because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2017 @ 04:43 PM
link   
a reply to: yorkshirelad

How about you stay on topic unless the topic is terrlfying you?
And if so don't derail? Just leave.

posted on Dec, 24 2017 @ 04:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: randyvs

Atheism doesn't exist.

This is a really desperate sounding comment, randyvs. It's ok for you to believe and it's ok for others to not believe. Atheism exists and so does theism. Everyone does not have to believe like you do to validate you.

Your beliefs may or may not be valid. And that's what you sign up for when you decide *faith* guides your beliefs.

posted on Dec, 24 2017 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Atheism doesn't exist.

wait though, you just listed a whole slew of bad characteristics that you apply to atheists

And seemingly you added to the list?

We are much more logical and are not easily swayed with emotional pleas

Anyway, I see the same flaws in this endeavor that likely account
for people taking such a ridiculous stance as atheism. The questions
OP has quoted add up to complete ignorance. "I wish God would kill
my parents"?

WTF is that? I mean really? These people doing the servay don't
even have a clue. Or maybe they do. Let's dress God up like a
murder for hire bell hop that waits on his creations beckon
call. Completely obscuring the fact that the only meaning his
creations life could ever have according to rational thought
would be to serve him, in gratitude and amazement of his
power and glory.

But we aren't even worthy of that. The very idea of
atheism is proof enough for me.

the bible is full of god killing people’s parents, kids, brothers, sisters. For one who believes in the literal interpretation of those stories, you can’t deny that it is prevalent in the book.

Your stated beliefs are on the extreme side of belief.

posted on Dec, 24 2017 @ 05:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Woodcarver

Also i would posit that atheists are much less likely to join the military to fight bankers wars and bomb families and children. We are much more logical and are not easily swayed with emotional pleas Christianity has long been the tool to use to get people behind evil bureaucrats.

Athesists are just as dumb and easily lead as everyone else.
Also, no one joins the army to bomb families and children.

Dumb christians and dumb atheists should be equally mocked.

Agnostics should be mocked a little more until they make a choice.

posted on Dec, 24 2017 @ 05:23 PM
link   
a reply to: MotherMayEye

This is a really desperate sounding comment, randyvs.

Ahh come on now? I was just joining in the festivities at
that point.

It's ok for you to believe and it's ok for others to not believe.

This completely ignores pascals wager not mention obvious
rationale that either the "Others" are wrong or I myself am
wrong. And if it's the " Others" then your arguement is morally
wrong and deserving of mortal consequence to any logical
rationale. But one of the diverse arguements is totally and
completely as wrong as wrong will ever be.
So few answers humanity can pilfer and yet
atheists ckaim to be the masters of all reality. Certainly
you know that to claim there is no God.

Is claiming yourself to be God. It is blasphemy and I'm not
trying to threaten you, brain wash you or have you disgard
what you like to call logic.

I'm just say'n.

posted on Dec, 24 2017 @ 05:30 PM
link   
a reply to: randyvs

Eh, I just claim there's as much evidence of a 'god' as there is of a giant tennis shoe floating in space on the other side of the universe.

You're not suggesting I should acknowledge a belief in that, too, are you? My belief in a god is about the same as my belief in that giant floating tennis shoe on the other side of the universe. Happy?

edit on 12/24/2017 by MotherMayEye because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2017 @ 05:36 PM
link   
a reply to: randyvs

Atheists are just as wrong as theists.

Anyone who claims to know the answer doesn't understand the question.

How do I know this?
I don't.

posted on Dec, 24 2017 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Your stated beliefs are on the extreme side of belief.

I can demonstrate with all logic and with perfectly moral rationale
and by examples you have to deny everyday, why it is your
denial that is the absolute extremism. And that is the core
of atheism;.

Oh no I don't want to look at it so I'll just pretend it doesn't
exist. Please make it go away! I do still have questions but
why God calls us children will never be one of them.
edit on Rpm122417v37201700000054 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2017 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Oh no I don't want to look at it so I'll just pretend it doesn't
exist. Please make it go away!

Look at what? Make what go away?

posted on Dec, 24 2017 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Good point. For us, it was "bloody Mary". Now I chuckle because it brings to mind this scene:

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join