It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do Atheist Still Believe in God?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 24 2017 @ 02:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: GeneralMayhem

originally posted by: Edumakated
There are no atheist in foxholes....

Neither in lifeboats .

Surely it would make anyone sweat to vocalize such hideous statements . By daring God they imply their wrongful sentiment will be causing upon themselves and or significant others an invocation of explicit damnation from an external actor . Its a lot different than just wishing something along .
Perhaps they're not daring God as much as daring Life or some Universal Law to damn them , which is not defined by religion but is a perceptible reality they take as being misascribed to religious Gods, hence they would sweat , and anyone bar the coldest criminals would. Though its a given that some dedicated atheists are devoid of a moral compass as well
I just think most religiously minded people cannot fathom the idea that their gods are made up.

posted on Dec, 24 2017 @ 02:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: NoCorruptionAllowed

originally posted by: Woodcarver

It takes more faith for an atheist to believe there is no God than to believe in God. Atheism isn't really about believing or not believing though, it's about arrogance, vanity, pompous self importance, a purposeful lack of humility and rebellion against anything except the atheist's own desires. Once a person grows beyond the need for all those childish things and casts them away, (if they can ever get over themselves), can they discover that God exists and is waiting for them to begin seeing truth.
wow. Or maybe you just don’t like atheists, and you choose to believe all of these things because it makes you feel above them.

I don’t describe atheism as a lack of belief in god so much as a lack of belief in people’s claims. I find that this pov is more accurate and far more descriptive of the situation.

Thanks for illustrating my point. And no, I don't feel "above" anyone. God loves everyone the same very greatly, even so called atheists, but it's all up to each individual to choose their own pursuits.
wait though, you just listed a whole slew of bad characteristics that you apply to atheists. Implying that these characteristics don’t apply to any christians. This is clearly you stating that atheists are not trustworthy, and dishonorable.

Just sayin’

posted on Dec, 24 2017 @ 02:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

There are no Christians in foxholes...

Surely, any Christian facing death would gladly die and spend eternity in heaven rather than hide in a foxhole and pray to not get killed. Surely, they would be confident in their faith and believe God will take care of their loved ones they will leave behind.

In fact, if this study was proof that atheists believe in a god, then any Christian that avoids death is proof they do not believe in God.

Actually, I really hate these types of debate. I don't believe in a god and don't concern myself with what others believe. I have no desire to prove everyone secretly doesn't believe, like me.

posted on Dec, 24 2017 @ 02:24 PM
link   

It takes more faith for an atheist to believe there is no God than to believe in God. Atheism isn't really about believing or not believing though, it's about arrogance, vanity, pompous self importance, a purposeful lack of humility and rebellion against anything except the atheist's own desires. Once a person grows beyond the need for all those childish things and casts them away, (if they can ever get over themselves), can they discover that God exists and is waiting for them to begin seeing truth.

Really?
I mean just Really?

Speaking of arrogance, look in the mirror much?

You know nothing about me l, my desires, my humility, or any other thing about me.

posted on Dec, 24 2017 @ 02:25 PM
link   

wow. Or maybe you just don’t like atheists, and you choose to believe all of these things because it makes you feel above them.

I don’t describe atheism as a lack of belief in god so much as a lack of belief in people’s claims. I find that this pov is more accurate and far more descriptive of the situation.

Thanks for illustrating my point. And no, I don't feel "above" anyone. God loves everyone the same very greatly, even so called atheists, but it's all up to each individual to choose their own pursuits.
you can waste your time any way you want, but you just picked a bunch of words out of the blue and applied them to everyone who disagrees with you about one thing. Making them out to be terrible people just because they don’t believe in your god and for no other reason.

Are no christians arrogant?

Are no christians liars?

No christians hurt people?

No christians do any bad things?

Come on. Are you willing to ignore all of the things done by christians and forgive all of those bad people simply for believing in a similar god as you?

posted on Dec, 24 2017 @ 02:28 PM
link   

I hear this a lot.

There Are No atheist in foxholes
This is simply a platitude that some think is true. Of course there are atheists in the military, and no amount of fear is going to make me suddenly give up on reason.

Also i would posit that atheists are much less likely to join the military to fight bankers wars and bomb families and children. We are much more logical and are not easily swayed with emotional pleas Christianity has long been the tool to use to get people behind evil bureaucrats.

The point is that you dont just give up on hope because hope appears abandonable . Especially when the next stop is at bereavement services

edit on 24-12-2017 by GeneralMayhem because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2017 @ 02:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Woodcarver

The most arrogant of all is a God that supposedly says "Worship me! Pray to me! Believe in me, and only me! OR you can go to heII!" (ETA: Oh, and "It's my way only, or else!")

Honestly, who would want to spend eternity with someone like that anyway? Sounds like a toxic ex-boyfriend I once had. Narcissistic and needy. Not a good combo.

edit on 12/24/2017 by MotherMayEye because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2017 @ 02:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: StallionDuck
I believe this would fall more under Science than Religion based on how the information came to light.

A study has found that Atheist might not be unbelievers after all...

A study in Finland explored how religious and non-religious people responded to the idea of God.

The researchers used electrodes to measure how much sweat people produced while reading statements like "I dare God to make my parents drown" or "I dare God to make me die of cancer".

Unexpectedly, when nonbelievers read the statements, they produced as much sweat as believers - suggesting they were equally anxious about the consequences of their dares.

When I first read the information, I thought that perhaps it was simply because people in general, believers or not, would have the same reaction based on the words they were saying. Superstition perhaps? Not quite so...

And that's not simply because nonbelievers didn't want to wish harm on others. A companion study showed that similar dares that did not involve God (such as, "I wish my parents would drown") did not produce comparable increases in sweat levels.

Together, then, these findings suggest that despite denying that God exists, nonbelievers behaved as though God did exist.

So does that mean that Atheist really do believe in God? Well, not really...

Does this mean that nonbelievers are lying when they say they reject God? Not exactly. Rather, these contradictory behaviours probably arise in part due to living in a theistic culture that hammers home the idea that God exists.

Perhaps this leads nonbelievers to form "implicit" attitudes that are at odds with their "explicit" ones.

So what does that mean exactly? Read more here to find out!
Then they are not A's!

posted on Dec, 24 2017 @ 02:50 PM
link   
no....atheist just want to know where god came from !

posted on Dec, 24 2017 @ 02:54 PM
link   
a reply to: StallionDuck

He answered the question you asked. Atheists, by definition, do not believe in God. If these people do believe in God, then they are, by definition, not Atheists.

You cannot change the definition of Atheism just because people say they are Atheists when they are actually not.

If they believe in a form of God, then they are not Atheists.
edit on 12/24/2017 by scojak because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2017 @ 03:21 PM
link   
a reply to: RP2SticksOfDynamite

If that is so, then you would think that majority of people that claim to not believe in God are lying?

But that's just an assumption because the actual post (if read through - which I'm pretty sure many if not all have based their replies on just assuming what the OP says) doesn't actually say that Atheist believe in God.

It specifically says Explicit and implicit attitudes is a factor.

It also goes on to say that there are affects with Religion vs Health (or the lack there-of vs a degree of how much you put yourself into religion. It's a very interesting article.

It's a shame that hardly no one is actually reading it.
edit on 24-12-2017 by StallionDuck because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2017 @ 03:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: scojak
a reply to: StallionDuck

He answered the question you asked. Atheists, by definition, do not believe in God. If these people do believe in God, then they are, by definition, not Atheists.

You cannot change the definition of Atheism just because people say they are Atheists when they are actually not.

If they believe in a form of God, then they are not Atheists.

Exactomundo! errr... Not!

I didn't ask a question. Not really anyways. I knew exactly what the article said and what I placed in my OP. It's about "non-believers". So in essence, one can argue that the lack of belief = atheism, which could mean that all of the people who were supposed atheist were lying.

What he said was not adding to the OP. It was just an obvious statement for no other reason. A lot of his posts are exactly like this when it's religion based.

Bob: God this that and the other...

Him: There is no God! It's all made up fairy poo!

Like a majority of the responses here... It has NOTHING to do with Atheism vs believing or not believing.

posted on Dec, 24 2017 @ 03:29 PM
link   

That is one of the dumbest things I've ever read.

posted on Dec, 24 2017 @ 03:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

fully agree just in the time we celebrating Lucifer (bringer of the light )

posted on Dec, 24 2017 @ 03:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

That is one of the dumbest things I've ever read.

It only seems that way because of your bloated self pride. Thanks for illustrating my point for me.

posted on Dec, 24 2017 @ 03:39 PM
link   
People... Stop arguing something that's not even the point of the OP. If you would READ my OP, you can see that I purposefully rang a few bells but the actual meat of my posts AND MY OWN WORDS refuted the bells that I used to draw your attention for something deeper than what everyone is assuming here.

In case you missed it:

I said this to bring up a question in your head to trigger your thoughts. The purpose was to make you read further and see that what I said was INCORRECT!

Then I said....:

When I first read the information, I thought that perhaps it was simply because people in general, believers or not, would have the same reaction based on the words they were saying. Superstition perhaps? Not quite so...

Then once again, I showed the correct answer. This is the exact same tactic I used in my first quote. I made a statement and let the story prove me wrong.

Finally...

As you can see... And if you look and see that there were no edits on the OP... Duh!!! I answered my own question and the title of the post. I gave the answer right after and challenged readers to read more on the actual article.

Damn.... People read!

Why is everyone stuck on whether atheist believe in God? It's obvious if you read what I said and what the story actually said.

Arguing for the sake of arguing - A+

Stating the Obvious - A+

Reading comprehension - D- (I'll give a point for actually reading at least one sentence in the whole post - even though it wasn't supposed to be the focus).

posted on Dec, 24 2017 @ 03:44 PM
link   

People... Stop arguing something that's not even the point of the OP. If you would READ my OP, you can see that I purposefully rang a few bells but the actual meat of my posts AND MY OWN WORDS refuted the bells that I used to draw your attention for something deeper than what everyone is assuming here.

In case you missed it:

I said this to bring up a question in your head to trigger your thoughts. The purpose was to make you read further and see that what I said was INCORRECT!

Then I said....:

Then once again, I showed the correct answer. This is the exact same tactic I used in my first quote. I made a statement and let the story prove me wrong.

Finally...

As you can see... And if you look and see that there were no edits on the OP... Duh!!! I answered my own question and the title of the post. I gave the answer right after and challenged readers to read more on the actual article.

Damn.... People read!

Why is everyone stuck on whether atheist believe in God? It's obvious if you read what I said and what the story actually said.
Could you find the actual study? All i could find was a clickbait article claiming there was a study.

Sciencealert.com looks like facebook clickbait.
edit on 24-12-2017 by Woodcarver because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2017 @ 03:48 PM
link   

It's not "click bait". By your definition, every single link in ATS can be considered click bait. It's an actual website for science based discoveries.

You simply could have gone to the "click bait" article and dug up the author of the information presented. That would have led you to the research via google. It took me 5 seconds...

Source

ETA: The article even linked you to the original... look at the base of the article you will see the source. The above link is to the actual research but you're gonna have to pay for access.

posted on Dec, 24 2017 @ 03:52 PM
link   

It's not "click bait". By your definition, every single link in ATS can be considered click bait. It's an actual website for science based discoveries.

You simply could have gone to the "click bait" article and dug up the author of the information presented. That would have led you to the research via google. It took me 5 seconds...

Source
Sciencealert.com is most def clickbait. It has dozens of clickbait thumbnails attached to it. I’m just pointing that out. You could have posted the actual source instead of leading us to that site.

posted on Dec, 24 2017 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Source
Sciencealert.com is most def clickbait. It has dozens of clickbait thumbnails attached to it. I’m just pointing that out. You could have posted the actual source instead of leading us to that site.

It's not "Click Bait".

Define click bait in your own words...

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join