It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do Atheist Still Believe in God?

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 05:38 PM
link   
a reply to: StallionDuck

Interesting. It's like that saying. I heard it years ago, it goes something like this. If a plane full of people was about to crash, and half of them were athiests, how many of them would pray to God?

I think it depends on how you view the world. I wouldn't be praying for obvious reasons known only to me.

That's all.

edit on 28-12-2017 by ADSE255 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2017 @ 12:07 AM
link   
a reply to: MotherMayEye

Hiya MME.
Thanks for answering those questions.
Sorry if they were too pointed, and put you on the defensive, and dragged the discussion off-topic.
My bad.

What if we heed our host now, and try to move back towards the OP?

Tend to agree with a couple of posters, who mentioned that we sometimes get the heebie-jeebies, from things that we don't necessarily believe-in.
Perhaps from stories we've heard or read, or old spooky legends.
Is it fear of the unknown?

Take the example of them-thar weegie-boards: We've heard many stories now, of folks having serious problems after using them.
So one having heard these stories: might be a little unconsciously nervous when talking of them; one whom believes these stories, would be loath to indulge at all; while a young buck whom has not heard these stories, will jump right-in and go for the experience with no fear.

Seems like the phenomenon is not only linked to the concept of god, but to a part of our psyche perhaps.

posted on Dec, 29 2017 @ 03:21 AM
link   
Do atheists still believe in God? Most ridiculous thing I've EVER read! Atheists have never believed in God, hence the reasons they/we are atheist. How many atheists have you known that believed in God? Thar would make them Christians, Jews, Muslims etc NOT ATHEISTS!

The real question should be, when do believers start believing? To which the answer is, as soon as they're old and dumb enough to be indoctrinated without question. Religion is a control thing you see!

posted on Dec, 29 2017 @ 03:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Mogzy1977

You should read the article instead of going off the title.

A study in Finland explored how religious and non-religious people responded to the idea of God. The researchers used electrodes to measure how much sweat people produced while reading statements like "I dare God to make my parents drown" or "I dare God to make me die of cancer". Unexpectedly, when nonbelievers read the statements, they produced as much sweat as believers - suggesting they were equally anxious about the consequences of their dares.
link

posted on Dec, 29 2017 @ 03:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

Isn't this just taking advantage of our inherent fear of the unknown?

posted on Dec, 29 2017 @ 03:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Akragon

Yeah I reckon so. The same area of the brain that makes us scared of dark caves and critters in the wardrobe.

posted on Dec, 29 2017 @ 03:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

Also just saying stuff like that aloud must bring a reaction.The thought of it also.

posted on Dec, 29 2017 @ 03:40 AM
link   
a reply to: testingtesting

True

We're a superstitious species by nature. Merry Christmas to you

posted on Dec, 29 2017 @ 03:43 AM
link   
a reply to: noonebutme

It was implied. Sorry but you came across like there is absolutely nothing to the "godly experience" and there is. Religion is an experience. If you and others never felt it that's okay for everybody but atheists always have to convince everybody they are crazy and inferiour if they don't feel the same way, because they had the experience god exists. They like that it gives them a purpose a meaning a reason to smile and play nice with eachother.
Power politics is always the most perverted part of a nation, of a religion every group. The ordinary masses are excluded from every decision. Just because religion has a history it isn't all bad. Just as not every American is an # because of Vietnam, Guantanamo, torture, drone killing... the ordinary people are different from their nations military actions.
Back then the Catholic "state" was even more powerful than kings of that time, literally above kings. Itnwas acting as state securing ressources. The similarities are striking not?
Which means they can be good people whose experiences and feelings tell them there is a god, yet they're in no way responsible for the horrible actions of the church, the crusades, molestations, etc.

You don't know there is no god, because the definition of what god is, is also a very personal question. Your relationship with god is not personal, so you can speak for nobody about what god is or is not if he exists or not, because you have no personal connection.
I do and I can say all of our popular updated religions are false. But that's not really surprising, it's a metascience. It's developing in time and growing.

posted on Dec, 29 2017 @ 03:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: NoCorruptionAllowed
It takes more faith for an atheist to believe there is no God than to believe in God. Atheism isn't really about believing or not believing though, it's about arrogance, vanity, pompous self importance, a purposeful lack of humility and rebellion against anything except the atheist's own desires. Once a person grows beyond the need for all those childish things and casts them away, (if they can ever get over themselves), can they discover that God exists and is waiting for them to begin seeing truth.

I don't think that you understand the concept. Personally speaking I became an atheist after studying the bible first for my Confirmation lessons and then for my Scripture O-Level. It made no sense and did not match up with any other source.

posted on Dec, 29 2017 @ 05:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Peeple
If you and others never felt it that's okay for everybody but atheists always have to convince everybody they are crazy and inferiour

Only inferior in terms of understanding of reality -- not equality, rights or rights to believe in such fairy tales.

if they don't feel the same way, because they had the experience god exists. They like that it gives them a purpose a meaning a reason to smile and play nice with eachother.

That's a terrible reason, though. It makes them "play nice" with others?? I don't need fairy tales to know how to live and work with other people. The Golden Rule isn't a religious theme. How 'moral' or 'ethical' are these people then, if having a God experience is what makes the play nice? Sounds like they only do it because they are told to, 'or else'.

I do it because it makes sense and I want to see people happy and succeed - not because some malevolent being in the clouds tells me to out of fear.

Power politics is always the most perverted part of a nation, of a religion every group. The ordinary masses are excluded from every decision

Not sure where you live, but here in the UK, we're allowed to vote, on our Prime Minister, our local MPs, etc. Sucks that you have no power to vote. I'm so sorry

. Just because religion has a history it isn't all bad. Just as not every American is an # because of Vietnam, Guantanamo, torture, drone killing... the ordinary people are different from their nations military actions.
Back then the Catholic "state" was even more powerful than kings of that time, literally above kings. Itnwas acting as state securing ressources. The similarities are striking not?

I never said religious people are bad, only what they believe is fairy tales. I don't see a German and hate him for WW2. I don't see an American and hate him for Vietnam, or a Russian for Afghanistan, or a Spaniard for the conquests of the Aztecs. Who thinks like that in the 21st Century??

I will, however, call out the pedo priests who abused children for decades, and then when exposed, call out the religious institutions who then systemically covered it up.

Which means they can be good people whose experiences and feelings tell them there is a god, yet they're in no way responsible for the horrible actions of the church, the crusades, molestations, etc.

I never blamed the average church goer. I said, what was your thoughts on a God that allows children to be abused but still grants celebrities their prayers?

You don't know there is no god

Correct - no one does. Not a single person alive knows if there is a God.

I do and I can say all of our popular updated religions are false.

Of course, just like every other faith which claims their is correct but yours isn't.

But that's not really surprising, it's a metascience. It's developing in time and growing.

No it isn't. Do you even know what a metascience is?

Metascience refers to the systematic investigation of the scientific enterprise, in other words, the use of scientific methodology to study science itself.

That would suggest you are using the scientific method to analyse and investigate religion -- which itself is entirely made up of faith, which, as we have already discussed, is believing without evidence.
edit on 29-12-2017 by noonebutme because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2017 @ 05:54 AM
link   

Just one thing, it's made of experience. Not faith. Which direction you turn then is up to you.
Calling something Fairy Tale is belittling and shows your lack of respect.
But you already said what I wanted to hear. "Not a single person alive knows if there is a God".

posted on Dec, 29 2017 @ 06:10 AM
link   

Just one thing, it's made of experience. Not faith. Which direction you turn then is up to you.
Calling something Fairy Tale is belittling and shows your lack of respect.

Correct - I have no respect for religion. It represents an archaic, fearful, scared, dominating time in human history and I can't wait until it's disregarding as anything important in the advancement of human civilisation.

To borrow a famous person's saying, 'Religion is a poison'.

But you already said what I wanted to hear. "Not a single person alive knows if there is a God".

Correct. No one knows, regardless of the priests, bishops, monks, popes or those who have had a 'God experience'. No one knows. By default we are all agnostics. But the more clever and educated are atheists

posted on Dec, 29 2017 @ 06:18 AM
link   

No, that crosses a line.

The only thing that will keep religion alive is the freedom to live it. Now you many ask why, and I say because we wouldn't be doing it for more than 3000 years if it wouldn't serve any purpose. It gave us poems and songs, art in general, architecture, ... all things developed through religion. Spirituality, working with the mind, in-spired creativity.
edit on 29-12-2017 by Peeple because: Video

posted on Dec, 29 2017 @ 06:48 AM
link   

The only thing that will keep religion alive is the freedom to live it. Now you many ask why, and I say because we wouldn't be doing it for more than 3000 years if it wouldn't serve any purpose.

I'm not saying it didn't serve a purpose - it did. It was mankind's first attempt at trying to explain and make sense of the world around them. And it served that purpose for a period of time, while people were stupid, uneducated and without the benefit of science and critical thinking.

It gave us poems and songs, art in general, architecture,

I agree some of those. Architecture didn't 'come' from religion. It inspired some of it, but it was not born of religion and without religion we would still have architecture.

... all things developed through religion. Spirituality, working with the mind, in-spired creativity.

None of that 'came' from religion.
- Spirituality is completely different to man made religions. You can be spiritual but have no faith or belief in God or religion
- Working with the mind, what does that mean? Psychiatry? Psychology? They didnt come from religion
- Creativity is not only or wholly a religious experience. I am very creative and I have never been religious or believed in a God. Thankfully my parents didn't reinforce such things as a child. And I am an artist and designer amongst other things, none of which is inspired by religion.

You are trying to justify religion on a modern world where it no longer has a place. Religion will not progress the human race, save us from destruction, feed the hungry, shelter the homeless, cure the sick or create peace.

Only Science and technology can do that. And once it does, people will drop religion. Once everyone has access to the very basics (food, clean water, shelter, energy, education, health care), I think we will see a massive change in human dynamics and the ancient, archaic religions will soon vanish.

Spiritually and peoples' connection to the earth, nature and life will continue and flourish without the dogma and unethical teachings of religion.

posted on Dec, 29 2017 @ 07:01 AM
link   

What is a religious experience? The ritual you perform. With joy and intense energy flow? Maybe nowadays a concert? That's to me a religious act, a joyful celebration of incredible good feelings. In repetition often. The roman catholics took all the joy out of religion, it was a party once, singing dancing food...
Or maybe it's any kind of sports football games whatever, that you surround by rituals. Not even superstitions, but if you enjoy that act you love, you celebrate it. Celebrate to be alive. Grateful.

But see we agree, god doesn't matter in that regards at all, so at least we can state he is not to be found everywhere.

posted on Dec, 29 2017 @ 09:26 AM
link   
I just want to make clear that people can be spiritual and not a part of any specific religion, one of my relatives, abandoned organized religion because of the hypocrisy/control/evil he saw the church exerting via the clergy class. But unlike some, he did not abandon his spiritual need, and turn atheist, he continued to read the bible his whole life. He just stopped believing many dogmatic core teachings of dark age Christianity.
For example the hellfire doctrine.
edit on 29-12-2017 by Blue_Jay33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2017 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Atheists are a good example of a people who dont even understand the science they swear to.

They actually think science disproves the existance of God. THere is no evidence of such at all.

posted on Dec, 29 2017 @ 10:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: spy66
Atheists are a good example of a people who dont even understand the science they swear to.

Please explain... how do i not understand the science i swear to

posted on Dec, 29 2017 @ 11:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Peeple

But nobody DOES know whether there is a god or not. Personal experiences are often tainted by confirmation bias, they don't actually prove god even to themselves. I've pretty much heard every "experience" story in the book, and every single one reeks of bias, rather than actual confirmation of their version of god existing. The brain is very powerful. If you believe something to be true, it actually becomes true to you. This is why Christians, Muslims, Buddhists, Hindus and even Shinto and atheistic new age meditation claim to have experiences with their beliefs. The existence of god is something that is completely unknown, and honestly to claim one absolutely knows that god does exist or does not is arrogant, IMO.

And I get that I can't possibly know every single person's experience, but I have yet to hear one that actually determines the existence of god. It is unlikely that anybody actually knows. I've been involved in multiple belief systems before becoming an agnostic atheist and each time I had experiences that made it SEEM real. This is true for theistic and ATHEISTIC viewpoints. The problem is that's subjective, and can't be used to accurately determine anything. I fully respect people's freedom to believe what they want, I just wish they'd stop pigeonholing non believers. Pretty much all of the big belief systems in the world do this.
edit on 12 29 17 by Barcs because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16 >>

join