It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do Atheist Still Believe in God?

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2017 @ 01:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: thepixelpusher
a reply to: Barcs

My faith is based upon the positive results of applying love to others in my life.

You don't need to believe in a God for that.

posted on Dec, 27 2017 @ 01:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Peeple
a reply to: Annee

The fact tgat you quoted it, even tough it's right above your answer, shows how important you think you are. The simple reply button wasn't good enough, it had to be a big fat quote. I know what I said, you are the one who didn't get it.
No need to get offended. Or offensive.
That's also mildly mad behaviour. Immediately attack as defense move. At least it's not pretty.

Quoting is so other's know what I'm responding to.

posted on Dec, 27 2017 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Innate spirituality and religion are not the same thing. Religion is a man made construct. Spirituality is living and loving and embracing the connection with others in a positive way. Humans have a tendency to distort things towards their personal goals when a selfless answer is closer to the heaven on earth we could be living. I assume you feel religion in govt. is bad because it would only reflect one religion. Actually, if the people in our govt. were more spiritual we'd all be better off. Prayer and religion in govt. doesn't offend me. Rather the lack, or censorship of it, is what I find more troubling. People can find their way to God through any religion. Religion is just a means to an end. It is not the end in and of itself. It is a path, but not the ONLY path.
edit on 27-12-2017 by thepixelpusher because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2017 @ 01:41 PM
link   

It is the results I see, in my life, that demonstrate to me that God exists and how we are all connected in love. The love of God. My hope is you have your own experiences that demonstrate this to you in a tangible way as it had for me. My faith was not built in blind trust, but I was given incidents that brought me to my faith. I was a doubting Thomas, but was convinced through real life events to see beyond what I knew. Not everyone is shown, some just believe. That was not me. I understand your skepticism as I was once that way myself.

posted on Dec, 27 2017 @ 01:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wookiep
Uh. No. I actually didn't say that. You're quoting someone else. Knock it off.

Okay, I owe you an apology. I must have clicked reply to the wrong post, that was meant to be a response to Peeple. So sorry about that. I guess that explains why your response didn't make sense to me, LOL!
edit on 12 27 17 by Barcs because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2017 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Ladies and Lads...

I just have to bring to your attention... Out of 12 pages of responses, truly less than 4 people have commented on the actual information in the OP.

Everyone else went on this "God is Real - God is Not Real - Atheist Believe - Atheist Don't Believe" kick. I'm truly saddened by 12 pages of derailed responses. I thought I brought up a pretty good post for a real and serious discussion but I was totally wrong. Everyone seemed to want to debate everything that was NOT in the OP and the source.

Thanks all...

For those of you who got it right, thank you! Even the few of you who were on point and took the post for what it was made it worth posting. If I could give you flags and more stars for your responses, I certainly would.

MODS, I beg of you to reward those few with some Applause! They do deserve it.

posted on Dec, 27 2017 @ 01:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: thepixelpusher

My faith is based upon the positive results of applying love to others in my life. I see it as a positive force of good in the world with tangible results. Dispensing love is like dropping a pebble in a pond and seeing the ripples spread out to affect other objects. God's manifestation of love through people works that way. Kind of a chain reaction of goodness.

I agree with everything you said except the part where it's related to god. Love does create positivity in people's lives. It's hard to dispute that, but it doesn't change the fact that science and faith (def#1) are not compatible. Science and faith (def#2) are indeed compatible because it refers to trust, not blind belief. It's kind of like how I have faith in my dentist or car mechanic to fix the problem. I'm not believing in their existence, I am trusting their skills. Hopefully that makes sense.

edit on 12 27 17 by Barcs because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2017 @ 01:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Barcs

originally posted by: Wookiep
Uh. No. I actually didn't say that. You're quoting someone else. Knock it off.

Okay, I owe you an apology. I must have clicked reply to the wrong post, that was meant to be a response to Peeple. So sorry about that. I guess that explains why your response didn't make sense to me, LOL!

K no worries. Just pay more attention man!! Geeeze. Lol.

posted on Dec, 27 2017 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Look at the split light quantum physics theory. Attention of the viewer to the light experiment changed the results. The results of the experiment will blow your mind!

Our awareness and attention changes the world through action as proven in the experiment. A belief in God is not required, but some like me, use the writings of the Bible to expand my understanding of the way we can interact for the common good. To usher a heaven on earth setting.

The simple act of scientists observing and measuring events changed the experiment!!! Awareness altered the scientific study! That is science fact! Quantum Physics is mind blowing!

posted on Dec, 27 2017 @ 02:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheConstruKctionofLight
a reply to: Kandinsky

Theres quite a few studies that suggest its hard wired into us

www.independent.co.uk...

Belief and the brain's 'God spot' Scientists say they have located the parts of the brain that control religious faith. And the research proves, they contend, that belief in a higher power is an evolutionary asset that helps human survival.

Thanks for the link.

posted on Dec, 27 2017 @ 02:22 PM
link   
a reply to: TheConstruKctionofLight

This study wildly over simplifies the God belief into a preservation mechanism. Maybe the source that connects us maintains this within each of us as a part of our eternal spirit. I don't need to believe, rather I believe because I've seen evidence of my actions to lead me to that conclusion. I was an avowed agnostic at one point, but incidents demonstrated to me that there is a larger connection than I had once thought possible.

posted on Dec, 27 2017 @ 02:42 PM
link   
a reply to: StallionDuck

I will address the OP to get back on topic.

This is my belief, God created us with a spiritual need he built it into our DNA we can't excise it no matter how hard we try.

Matthew 5:3a

Happy are those conscious of their spiritual need

Those that don't embrace their spirituality to satisfy that "spiritual need" may be left to wonder why they are not happy with wealth, a great family, and satisfying job. They can't figure it out.

I am not talking just about organized beliefs either, there are other ways to meet that need, even if they are wrong, people are still filling a need that exists within the core of their soul and it suffices to work for them.
For example ultra radical Muslims, the suicide bomber type.

Positive Atheists employ a psychological methodology that quarantines their spiritual need within their persona, but as some will attest to they can choose to end the quarantine at anytime.

posted on Dec, 27 2017 @ 02:44 PM
link   
a reply to: thepixelpusher

Maybe the source that connects us maintains this within each of us as a part of our eternal spirit

Or maybe its adaptive evolution. Thats not to say we aren't some ants in a quarantined world happily slaving away for our overlords.

posted on Dec, 27 2017 @ 02:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Blue_Jay33

What is spirituality and where is the scientific evidence?

If theres none, then spirituality is just an abstract term to prop up an argument.

Bear in mind i used to be a Christian for over 15 years and loved going to church, was even in the Boys Brigade.

I was a true believer using the same arguments as Theists use.

Coomba98

posted on Dec, 27 2017 @ 03:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Nothin

You asked the following:

1. Does a belief in god not also require energy?

2. Does anyone really know exactly what consciousness is, beyond our own individual experiences?

3. Can science prove that to someone, whom doesn't have faith in science?

4. Do you believe that science equals truth? (Because you used science to explain your answers.)

5.You "explained" your personal belief about ideas, not any kind of absolute truth.

My answers:

1. Yes.

2. My own individual experience is all that really matters with regard to my atheism.

3. Can science prove what to someone? Your question isn't clear.

4. I find science to be more interesting and thought-provoking than mulling over the idea of a 'god', when contemplating the origin and meaning of Everything.

5. Yes, they are my personal beliefs/non-beliefs. I don't claim to have absolute truth, but nature has never shown that a *mind* can have an idea and by sheer will, alone, cause the idea to materialize in nature.

Instead, ideas found in nature come together and cause new ideas in nature to materialize. So, I am comfortable with rejecting the idea that a *mind* created Everything from sheer will alone.

Instead, it is logical to me that two fundamental ideas -- inherent in nature -- caused other ideas in nature to materialize: The ideas of Everything and Nothing.

I don't claim to be a wordsmith. So if you take issue with my use of terms, like 'minds,' 'nature,' 'ideas,' then, oh well. I am not trying to persuade you to think like me or change your mind about anything. I understand there are limits to verbal communication and all that really matters is the I understand what I believe/don't believe.

edit on 12/27/2017 by MotherMayEye because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2017 @ 03:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: coomba98
a reply to: Blue_Jay33

What is spirituality and where is the scientific evidence?

If theres none, then spirituality is just an abstract term to prop up an argument.

Bear in mind i used to be a Christian for over 15 years and loved going to church, was even in the Boys Brigade.

I was a true believer using the same arguments as Theists use.

Coomba98

Well here is an idea, false religion, which is a false perception of reality, can't always feed the spiritual need of critical thinkers; and they may become agnostic or atheistic because of it. I don't blame them for that, I am a critical thinker myself. If I was raised as a Catholic for example, I would have been turned agnostic by now, I don't think I could ever become a positive atheist it's not in my personality matrix.

For example if my religious teachers were to suddenly proclaim the whole universe was created in 6 literal 24 hour days, I wouldn't be listening to them anymore, because I know from my study of science this is impossible, and unnecessary for God to create like that.
edit on 27-12-2017 by Blue_Jay33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2017 @ 03:29 PM
link   
a reply to: TheConstruKctionofLight

Or we could be brains in a jar on some alien storage facility. Who knows? the universe is an amazing and strange place.

posted on Dec, 27 2017 @ 04:00 PM
link   
a reply to: noonebutme

Obviously, the man would have died without medical intervention. Mostly, it's just a story that has stayed with me and I couldn't help but recall it when I read your comment. I had to share it. It's just so amazing.

posted on Dec, 27 2017 @ 04:15 PM
link   
a reply to: MotherMayEye

I think what I was trying to get at, albeit through a poorly worded post, was faith in science is not the same as faith in a God, and as an atheist (which is a stupid moniker) my 'faith' or belief in science is completely unrelated to religious faith or faith in a God.

My reasoning being, faith in science is backed up by evidence, repeatable, demonstrable and debatable. All the opposites to a faith in God.

posted on Dec, 27 2017 @ 04:40 PM
link   
a reply to: noonebutme

I totally understood. I shouldn't have undermined the substance of your comment by sharing that story.

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join