It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do Atheist Still Believe in God?

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2017 @ 10:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

Theres quite a few studies that suggest its hard wired into us

www.independent.co.uk...

Belief and the brain's 'God spot' Scientists say they have located the parts of the brain that control religious faith. And the research proves, they contend, that belief in a higher power is an evolutionary asset that helps human survival.

posted on Dec, 27 2017 @ 10:11 AM
link   
@Barcs

Are you a negative or positive theist?

In those terms I would say a positive theist.
My observation is that the level of passion and enthusiasm for a persons ideology categorizes them.
A person who just doesn't know, can't be passionate or enthusiastic about the unknown, it defies logic.
There are some pretty confident and well educated atheists on ATS, they continue argue long and hard for their side.
edit on 27-12-2017 by Blue_Jay33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2017 @ 10:22 AM
link   
a reply to: MotherMayEye

I'm happy to adjust the numbers when there is reason behind it -- and in this instance, yes, there is logical, albeit very uncommon, reasons.

Same with people who survive parachute mishaps and actually hit the ground at speed. It isn't a miracle, it isn't supernatural - there are reasons, logical and scientific behind it.

BUT.. 99 times out of 100, if you jump from a 30 story building to the pavement below you will die. No faith in the science behind it is required.

posted on Dec, 27 2017 @ 10:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: Blue_Jay33
a reply to: Annee

The common dictionary with a tainted definition of atheism.......good one

Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

Semantic gymnastics at it's very best.

So let me get this straight, the lack of belief in God DOES NOT relate to the disbelief or denial of god or gods?
Ok then.

Correct.

posted on Dec, 27 2017 @ 11:17 AM
link   

a reply to: coomba98

It is super simple for me.

I have three categories

Agnostics- Simply don't know either way, anything is plausible to them, they are still developing their personal ideology, often attacked by positive atheists.

Negative Atheists-These lean towards atheistic beliefs very strongly, but they won't spend a ton of time proselytizing their worldview.

Positive Atheists-Hardcore advocates of their ideology will post in every thread to set people right, even the unsure agnostics. Probably have made numerous YouTube videos on the subject for example "The Amazing Atheist".

Atheist: Lack of Belief in Gods/Deities *(plain and simple - - it does not mean anything else)

Agnostic: God can not be proven or disproven

Atheist Philosophy: what each individual atheist's personal thinking/belief is - - - beyond the one thing that connects them - - - Lack of Belief in Gods/Deities.

posted on Dec, 27 2017 @ 11:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: Peeple
An atheist is to me someone who probably has spend more time and effort into answering the question if there is a god more than I ever did or will. To come to such fundamental conclusion, I at least hope the search was long hard and made diligently.

Yes, actually.

posted on Dec, 27 2017 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Well good for you. My experience tells me there's a deeper layer to our existence. I too had an extreme anti god phase, where the word alone angered me. Now god is just one pf those synonyms for people to capture tgeir hopes for the unknown.
The laughing sugardaddy from the skies. In a fluffy mood. Happy with his children and you start, happy because if what? What good are we doing, if we don't want to be parasites, what is our contribution as mankind?
Much more interesting than to take all the time and effort to claim "god doesn't exist!". You can never prove that for everybody. Not just crazies. It just entirely doesn't make any difference what we imagine the other is. It always will be what it is. We can't answer that for sure, because "it" gives us only a short glance each what it can do. Everybody has to get tuned in.
When I say everybody, I'm talking majorities of almost more than 50% as it's the standard it seems.
Also much more interesting than god or not, politics.
If you make a decisive decision whether god or not, you accepted madness into your house. Sure you are free to do that, but I see it. Just like ghosthunters which do honestly believe it's ghosts. Mildly mad.

edit on 27-12-2017 by Peeple because: Auto

posted on Dec, 27 2017 @ 12:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Peeple

Well good for you. My experience tells me there's a deeper layer to our existence. I too had an extreme anti god phase, where the word alone angered me. Now god is just one pf those synonyms for people to capture tgeir hopes for the unknown.
The laughing sugardaddy from the skies. In a fluffy mood. Happy with his children and you start, happy because if what? What good are we doing, if we don't want to be parasites, what is our contribution as mankind?
Much more interesting than to take all the time and effort to claim "god doesn't exist!". You can never prove that for everybody. Not just crazies. It just entirely doesn't make any difference what we imagine the other is. It always will be what it is. We can't answer that for sure, because "it" gives us only a short glance each what it can do. Everybody has to get tuned in.
When I say everybody, I'm talking majorities of almost more than 50% as it's the standard it seems.
Also much more interesting than god or not, politics.
If you make a decisive decision whether god or not, you accepted madness into your house. Sure you are free to do that, but I see it. Just like ghosthunters which do honestly believe it's ghosts. Mildly mad.

Anti-God experience?

NO! I did not have any anti-God experience.

I do have an issue with those who turn to atheism because of a bad God related experience. Lack of Belief IMO - - does not come about because of a negative God experience.

The rest of your post is just kind of ridiculous.

posted on Dec, 27 2017 @ 12:20 PM
link   

The fact tgat you quoted it, even tough it's right above your answer, shows how important you think you are. The simple reply button wasn't good enough, it had to be a big fat quote. I know what I said, you are the one who didn't get it.
No need to get offended. Or offensive.
That's also mildly mad behaviour. Immediately attack as defense move. At least it's not pretty.

edit on 27-12-2017 by Peeple because: Auto

posted on Dec, 27 2017 @ 12:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee
NO. Atheist means LACK OF BELIEF IN A GOD/DIETY.

God belief is faith based. Not science based.

Good Annee! You're right. I finally agree with you on something. I happen to be in the "faith" camp personally.

Let the atheists be atheists and leave the "believers" alone. That should be the end of this thread. Done.

edit on 27-12-2017 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2017 @ 12:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wookiep

Good Annee! You're right. I finally agree with you on something. I happen to be in the "faith" camp personally.

Let the atheists be atheists and leave the "believers" alone. That should be the end of this thread. Done.

As long as religion stays out of government.

posted on Dec, 27 2017 @ 12:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wookiep

As long as religion stays out of government.

I agree. As a libertarian and someone whom truly gets the purpose of separation of church and state, again I agree.

posted on Dec, 27 2017 @ 12:47 PM
link   

@Barcs

Are you a negative or positive theist?

In those terms I would say a positive theist.
My observation is that the level of passion and enthusiasm for a persons ideology categorizes them.
A person who just doesn't know, can't be passionate or enthusiastic about the unknown, it defies logic.
There are some pretty confident and well educated atheists on ATS, they continue argue long and hard for their side.

Enthusiasm has nothing to do with the positions. What is the source of your diagram? It's very simple. You either believe or you lack belief. You either have knowledge or you lack knowledge. They are 2 different things that leave 4 possibilities.

Agnostic atheist
Gnostic atheist
Agnostic theist
Gnostic theist

All the other adjectives you use to describe enthusiasm are irrelevant. I'm not talking about how strong somebody believes, I'm talking about whether their belief is backed by knowledge. Technically EVERYBODY does not know, so please stop miscategorizing us. You can be passionate about debunking creationists, even while admitting you don't know god exists because many people see their false claims and misrepresentation of science or atheists harmful to society. Let atheists decide what they believe instead of pigeonholing them. That's all I'm asking for.

edit on 12 27 17 by Barcs because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2017 @ 12:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Wookiep

Nice deflection. That's the usual when somebody does not have a logical response, they instead focus on attacking the person instead of the topic itself. What does quoting or not quoting have to do with self importance? So silly.

posted on Dec, 27 2017 @ 12:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Barcs

Nice deflection. That's the usual when somebody does not have a logical response, they instead focus on attacking the person instead of the topic itself. What does quoting or not quoting have to do with self importance? So silly.

Explain yourself! I didn't attack anyone. If so, point it out. Otherwise you may be a victim of feeling attacked due to something said you don't agree with? If that's the case then you got the problem here, not me.

posted on Dec, 27 2017 @ 12:56 PM
link   

This is what you said:

The fact tgat you quoted it, even tough it's right above your answer, shows how important you think you are. The simple reply button wasn't good enough, it had to be a big fat quote. I know what I said, you are the one who didn't get it.

That has nothing whatsoever to do with Annee's post, it's making it about her personally instead of the topic. You didn't respond to a single thing she said in that post, you just ranted about how she must feel self important. That's what I was referring to.

posted on Dec, 27 2017 @ 12:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Barcs

This is what you said:

That has nothing whatsoever to do with Annee's post, it's making it about her personally instead of the topic. You didn't respond to a single thing she said in that post, you just ranted about how she must feel self important. That's what I was referring to.

Uh. No. I actually didn't say that. You're quoting someone else. Knock it off.

posted on Dec, 27 2017 @ 01:08 PM
link   
a reply to: StallionDuck

For the life of me I do not understand how anyone could believe in a certain specific "God" It's like believing Little BO Peep is real , If we step back and look at the world as a hole we should understand that our belief is a product of our surroundings , If Humans would just go with the I have no clue Idea I'll find out once I cross that threshold the world would be a better place .

It's the reason I'm against the death penalty we have no clue what we are doing by killing them we could be doing them a favor we just don't know .
edit on 12/27/2017 by Gargoyle91 because: (no reason given)

edit on 12/27/2017 by Gargoyle91 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2017 @ 01:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Barcs

My faith is based upon the positive results of applying love to others in my life. I see it as a positive force of good in the world with tangible results. Dispensing love is like dropping a pebble in a pond and seeing the ripples spread out to affect other objects. God's manifestation of love through people works that way. Kind of a chain reaction of goodness.

posted on Dec, 27 2017 @ 01:28 PM
link   
What I can't understand is how most faiths claim they are right and others are wrong so if there is one god then most of humanity is wrong and if there are multiple gods then again most of humanity is wrong.
If there is 1 or more gods then all atheists are wrong but the fact remains most people will be believing and worshipping the wrong one.

There are approx 2b christians (falling) and 1.2b muslims (growing) and there are 7.6 billion people on this planet.

This to me shows that even of believers 70% of those believe in the wrong god or gods so with the probability of believing in the wrong god/s why bother at all?

I would guess those who have a direct/personal relationship with their god/s and are part of no organised religion are closest to any truth of god as all organised religions are tools of control.

As for all the 'no atheists in foxholes' - doesn't seem to do them much good does it or those praying for help in 'acts of god' or when they are being persecuted for their very belief in their god and being killed by people who believe in a different one (millions dead over this)

There are far more reasons NOT to believe in a god/s than there are to believe but most are brainwashed from birth to believe in whatever the local god is. (ie europe you are likely to be christian, india- hindu, china buddhism....)

edit to add: I try to spread happiness, love and laughter wherever i go but thats because I think it makes the world a better place not because of any god/s who threaten me with eternal pain and suffering if i dont do exactly as they say (ultimate bully)

edit on 27-12-2017 by johnb because: as above

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join