It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Alt-Right Trolling Star Wars

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 24 2017 @ 12:57 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 24 2017 @ 12:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: UKTruth

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin
a reply to: UKTruth

meh I guess then it comes down to a personal view, like all things.

I personally have a problem with this, you do not, fair enough.

Well now, there's the issue. You have a problem with the use of bots to exaggerate (in your view) the reaction to the politics in the movie, but I have never seen you complain about the use of bots to further aims you agree with.

So is your problem really about bots and a perceived skewing of the franchise legacy, or is it something else?

And I have never seen you write anything about bots.

Its up to me what I write about.

I would be just as annoyed I think if fans of the movie where doing this, only for very different reasons.

My problem has been explained in the OP.

Its like you expect me to post a opposite thread for every thread I write, so I write a thread about the alt-right using bots...... I shouldn't do that according to you unless I also write another thread about others using bots.

I disagree with that thought process.

If I want to write a thread I will write it, I don't have to run it by you.

If you disagree with me that its wrong for the alt-right (or frankly anyone) to review bomb a movie then thats fine.

its a difference of opinion, doesn't mean you're right and am wrong or vice versa just a difference in opinion.

posted on Dec, 24 2017 @ 01:01 PM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

Thanks for the analysis and good links. It's an interesting situation. I'll have to read up on it.

Reviews among my friends are mixed - the consensus is that it's not the very best SW film... and I've seen reports (not sure how valid) that Mark Hamill was uncomfortable with the directions given for Luke Skywalker.

This represents a new challenge for content providers... making sure that the responders are real people and not bots.

posted on Dec, 24 2017 @ 01:02 PM
link   

a reply to: dantanna

To be clear, this thread is not so much about pointing out what is wrong or right with the movie its about how the alt-right have review bombed it.

I actually do get some of your points though.

Are the 'alt-right' not allowed to be movie critics?

They can critique movies all they want.

Using Facebook bots however to flood a review site with negative reviews for a movie they disagree with politically however is another matter.

Are the 'alt-right' the only people to use facebook bots? Why is it a problem if people use facebook bots?

I think what OP is getting at is what is referred to as #posting. I can't post the title per T&C but consider "poop-posting."

It wouldn't surprise me if people on ATS aren't familiar with it. It falls in line with the meme magic, kekistan type troll behavior.

link   

I didn't say you were right or wrong. I said your alleged problem seems to be driven by politics.

Like I said - I think you wanted to invoke the 'alt-right' as a political wedge issue. I might be wrong, but I doubt it.

link   
a reply to: Black_Fox

Loved that video when they came out with it!

Thought they did a good job with The Force Awakens:

Careful though: I'm sure the OP will find a group that doesn't like Bad Lip Reading videos and will make a thread about it to try and score political points.

posted on Dec, 24 2017 @ 01:03 PM
link   

I admit that I fell into the "racist" category after the Force Awakens was released.

I took my step daughters to see the movie and when Finn was first revealed my initial reaction was "What? I thought Storm Troopers were clones of Jango Fett?" To which my daughters yelled at me with "don't be racist!".

Plot holes lead to questions and questions are racist.

By the end of the Last Jedi Finn is my favorite character (regardless of plot holes).

All I can think is that the "everything is circular" has been done to death. The Anankin and Amidala being replaced by Rey and Kylo Ren (I can save him from the dark side) can't be saved even in a space opera, especially in the second (third) go round. There is no need to blame politics.

posted on Dec, 24 2017 @ 01:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Black_Fox

Love that video makes me laugh every time I see it.

posted on Dec, 24 2017 @ 01:04 PM
link   
This reminds of the part in Jay and Silent Bob strikes back when they are reading reviews from movie poop shoot.

😆

posted on Dec, 24 2017 @ 01:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: RomeByFire

To be clear, this thread is not so much about pointing out what is wrong or right with the movie its about how the alt-right have review bombed it.

Using Facebook bots however to flood a review site with negative reviews for a movie they disagree with politically however is another matter.

Are the 'alt-right' the only people to use facebook bots? Why is it a problem if people use facebook bots?

I think what OP is getting at is what is referred to as #posting. I can't post the title per T&C but consider "poop-posting."

It wouldn't surprise me if people on ATS aren't familiar with it. It falls in line with the meme magic, kekistan type troll behavior.

It falls in line with a wide-reaching use of the internet these days - usually driven by both extremes of political ideology.

posted on Dec, 24 2017 @ 01:07 PM
link   
a reply to: TerminalVelocity

Careful though: I'm sure the OP will find a group that doesn't like Bad Lip Reading videos and will make a thread about it to try and score political points.

I do have a sense of humour you know?

posted on Dec, 24 2017 @ 01:10 PM
link   

a reply to: TerminalVelocity

I do have a sense of humour you know?

posted on Dec, 24 2017 @ 01:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: SR1TX

originally posted by: JAY1980
The movie was a mess!
Plot holes galore.
Horrible pacing.
Meaningless dialogue.
There was NO lightsaber duel!!
Chewbacca conflicted with eating meat...?
Isn't he a carnivore?
Finn abandoning the rebels?
Finn in general was portrayed as a weak man in this episode.
And don't even get me started on Snokes death...

They are more concerned with filling a narrative than telling a good story. In typical fashion the OP see this as an attack from "alt-right" when in fact most starwars fans disliked the movie.

It's you making it about politics rather than just a bad movie.. Seeing racism, sexism, and xenophobia around every corner.

Must suck living in such a narrow minded world.

They all had plot holes - How was Luke able to pilot an Xwing well enough to take out 1/2 of the "Death Star"? He never had been in 1 before??

Actually that was explained in movie and expanded on in deleted scenes.

Luke owned a T-16 skyhooper. It was made by the same corporation that made the X-wings, incom. As such the controls where almost identical as incom designed the X-wing delibratly so that people who could fly a T-16 could use a T-65 X-wing.

Fk Snoke - he is a whiny D bag full of himself - Ren is an actual sociopath that fits the description of a monster of evil better than Snoke. Ren wants to remake the empire himself and invited Reigh to be at his side for it. He is basically trying to say F sith, jedi, everything..and make something new out of it all.

Sorry but i want to know how the new leader of the empire took control .

posted on Dec, 24 2017 @ 01:15 PM
link   

I do still occasioally go to the movies, but a trend you may not be aware of?
www.latimes.com...=oft12aH-1gp2'

Movie going, at least in the US is just about over, and for a variety of reasons. Disney may have saved itself by buying Fox, but to survive, they gotta get into streaming. Netflix and others are drawing the best writers and actors away from the studios.

posted on Dec, 24 2017 @ 01:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Theprodicalson

originally posted by: JAY1980
The movie was a mess!
Plot holes galore.
Horrible pacing.
Meaningless dialogue.
There was NO lightsaber duel!!
Chewbacca conflicted with eating meat...?
Isn't he a carnivore?
Finn abandoning the rebels?
Finn in general was portrayed as a weak man in this episode.
And don't even get me started on Snokes death...

They are more concerned with filling a narrative than telling a good story. In typical fashion the OP see this as an attack from "alt-right" when in fact most starwars fans disliked the movie.

It's you making it about politics rather than just a bad movie.. Seeing racism, sexism, and xenophobia around every corner.

Must suck living in such a narrow minded world.

They all had plot holes - How was Luke able to pilot an Xwing well enough to take out 1/2 of the "Death Star"? He never had been in 1 before??

Actually that was explained in movie and expanded on in deleted scenes.

Luke owned a T-16 skyhooper. It was made by the same corporation that made the X-wings, incom. As such the controls where almost identical as incom designed the X-wing delibratly so that people who could fly a T-16 could use a T-65 X-wing.

Fk Snoke - he is a whiny D bag full of himself - Ren is an actual sociopath that fits the description of a monster of evil better than Snoke. Ren wants to remake the empire himself and invited Reigh to be at his side for it. He is basically trying to say F sith, jedi, everything..and make something new out of it all.

Sorry but i want to know how the new leader of the empire took control .

Snoke comes from the outer rim, and isn't a Sith.

That's all we really know. After seeing the film three times, I don't think he's dead. Snoke closes his eyes just before Kylo attempts to manipulate the saber, and Snoke says something along the lines of "I'm in his mind, I know his every move."

As the saber is being twisted by Kylo, and Snoke's eyes still closed, Snoke says "he twists the light saber, and kills his true enemy," and then Kylo kills Snoke. He doesn't necessarily seem surprised by it, albeit I could be entirely wrong but I really, really want more Snoke.

Also - Snoke said he created the tether between Kylo/Rey, and towards the end of the film, Kylo and Rey have another force connection and Snoke is presumably dead.

Could be wrong, but after seeing that scene multiple times there are some choice words/camera angles that are used that I personally believe are hinting at the idea that Snoke is alive.

Many of these types of fan theories spawned from The Force Awakens led to massive disappointment in The Last Jedi, though.

posted on Dec, 24 2017 @ 01:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: RomeByFire

It falls in line with a wide-reaching use of the internet these days - usually driven by both extremes of political ideology.

#posting is ignorance.

It has to do with people having pre-conceived standards, and when not having their fantasy standards met, resort to tactics like #posting and downvoting in an attempt to hurt said product.

If this somehow construes to me not being for people being able to demonstrate their freedoms by doing this - look up false equivalency, because frankly, I don't care.

I'm a MASSIVE Star Wars fan. I could easily write an essay on The Last Jedi, what it does right, what it does wrong, what it does horribly wrong (Finn/Rose romance), and how this will differ from person to person and how it's my personal take being a nerd and lover of the Star Wars universe/mythos.

An honest review, if you will. Which #posting isn't - it's ignorance, and typically full of politically charged topics that honestly don't have much relevance to the film, but rather the personal interpretation of the film-viewer.

This movie has several plot-holes, wasted opportunities (I would've loved to see Luke force push one of the walkers into a domino effect), under-written and developed characters, did I mention how much I hated the side-plot and romance?, and there are other complaints to be found.

But to be against this film because "Disney is SJW, anti-white," or whatever it may be is literal ignorance.

But again - it's nothing new. The same people did it with The Force Awakens when it was announced the two lead roles would be a female and a black man.

I just find it frustrating how these types of "complaints," take away from valid criticisms of the film (such as plot-holes, underwhelming characters, etc etc)

posted on Dec, 24 2017 @ 01:54 PM
link   
a reply to: RomeByFire

If someone sees the movie and perceives it to be a political statement, then it is to them, regardless of your own opinion (however expert you think your opinion to be)

If they want to post about their experience, that is perfectly fine.

If they want to make a political statement themselves about it - also fine.

if they want to use bots on review sites, well I find that mildly annoying, but not unusual.

posted on Dec, 24 2017 @ 02:04 PM
link   

What I'm telling you is more important than your nonsense thread, how can't you see that?

When you have a lot of people telling you that something is wrong with your reasoning and logic, shouldn't you at least stop for a moment, and think to see if there's anything to it? Or are you just too arrogant and believe that you're right, and everyone else is mistaken?

When you see alt-right racism/conspiracy in literally everything, it means you're obsessed. And that's not a good thing because your initial premise is corrupted by your own bias, which leads to your whole thought process is wrong.

The new Star Wars movie sucked; there's nothing racist about it. Stop wasting your time on nonsense buddy

posted on Dec, 24 2017 @ 02:24 PM
link   

You're calling people out for politically motivated trolling?

Anyways, the movie could suck a golf ball through a garden hose. It deserves to be trolled.

edit on 24-12-2017 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2017 @ 02:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Nikola014

What I'm telling you is more important than your nonsense thread, how can't you see that?

Probably because I don't give a dam what you say or think.....

Your posts are about as important to me as my belly button fluff....not all that important. Get over yourself mate, please don't think for one single moment that I take anything you say seriously.

I think of your posts probably in the exact same way as you think about mine.

When you have a lot of people telling you that something is wrong with your reasoning and logic, shouldn't you at least stop for a moment, and think to see if there's anything to it?

My name is pot, nice to meet you kettle.

Or are you just too arrogant and believe that you're right, and everyone else is mistaken?

This coming form the guy who thinks his posts are the most important thing Witten down since the figure of god wrote on some rocks....

When you see alt-right racism/conspiracy in literally everything, it means you're obsessed.

You mean like how your obsessed with me and have this compulsion to post off topic nonsense on everything I write

The new Star Wars movie sucked; there's nothing racist about it. Stop wasting your time on nonsense buddy

Read the OP.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join