It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Alt-Right Trolling Star Wars

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 24 2017 @ 12:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Keep in mind that although the Rotten tomatoes score says 55% of people liked the film, it says the average rating from those reviewers was a 3.2 out of 5.

That is above average.

Most people say this movie was average to a little above average, so that number seems fair.

Yet the OP would have us believe that this is wrong, and the critics rated it a 8.1 out of 10, and therefore the only explanation for why the users thought is was not that high is racism or something.

Never mind that it is quite common for critics and audiences to have different opinions on films.

edit on 24-12-2017 by Grambler because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2017 @ 12:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Grambler

Yup, I put it at 75.
Take out the Star Wars mystique and its 55.

posted on Dec, 24 2017 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Yet the OP would have us believe that this is wrong, and the critics rated it a 8.1 out of 10, and therefore the only explanation for why the users thought is was not that high is racism or something.

Obviously you have not read the OP in its entirety.

It has been claimed by a alt-right group that they deliberately review bombed rotten tomatoes because they disagreed with the politics of the movie.

If you look at a sample of 100 of the negative reviews only 6% come from existing rotten tomato reviewers, the 52% (its still changing) is not consistent with other review aggregators and this whole thing is a massive anomaly in movie reviews. Yes audience and critics normally disagree but its usually the other way or by a smaller margin.
edit on 24-12-2017 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2017 @ 12:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin

Obviously you have not read the OP in its entirety.

It has been claimed by a alt-right group that they deliberately review bombed rotten tomatoes because they disagreed with the politics of the movie.

If you look at a sample of 100 of the negative reviews only 6% come from existing rotten tomato reviews, the 52% (its still changing) is not consistent with other review aggregators and this whole thing is a massive anomaly in movie reviews. Yes audience and critics normally disagree but its usually the other way or by a smaller margin.

They do this regularly with video games, and despite the alt-right outright coming out and saying "yes, we are #posting out of anger," some people still don't believe it to be true.

They did it with Far Cry 2, and Far Cry 5. Did it with Remember Me. A Strange Life. Wolfenstein II. Watch Dogs 2. CoD:WW2. Battlefield 1. And the list goes on, and on, and on.

That video you posted of Richard Spencer is beyond stupid. They know as much about the Star Wars mythos as my father knows about the MEMZ Trojan.

posted on Dec, 24 2017 @ 12:18 PM
link   
a reply to: RomeByFire

They do this regularly with video games, and despite the alt-right outright coming out and saying "yes, we are #posting out of anger," some people still don't believe it to be true.

It does not surprise me at this point...

They did it with Far Cry 2, and Far Cry 5. Did it with Remember Me. A Strange Life. Wolfenstein II. Watch Dogs 2. CoD:WW2. Battlefield 1. And the list goes on, and on, and on.

Yup it happens a lot.

The one I always remember is Call of Duty infinite warfare when everyone trolled the launch trailer until it was the most down voted youtube video ever. Actually turned out to be one of the better CoDs.

That video you posted of Richard Spencer is beyond stupid.

Which is why I posted it.

I dont know how much of a Star Wars fan you are but its interesting to watch the negative reviews online, as a big Star Wars lore guy I find it funny how little some of them seem to know about what they are talking about. I feel like they only post the videos to generate traffic. Angry Joe is a really good example I think recently, watch his Last Jedi stuff, he can't even get the directors name right.

posted on Dec, 24 2017 @ 12:19 PM
link   
ughhhh are you insane? what has anything like you claim have to be with star wars?
i saw star wars on the screen, when i was a kid.

luke skywalker was so great. in this movie, they made him a loser. and the amount of plot holes are ridiculous. the vegas plotline? so they are being chased by bad guys and they decide to go off on an adventure?

luke drinking milk??? luke THROWING away his lightsaber? luke refusing to fight a villain? luke almost killing a kid??????

did poe ever even meet maz???

what happened to luke was disgraceful. mark hamil said it, and george lucas mildly said it as well.

the soleftitsright bullsh!t has gotta stop.

i assume you are upset rey was a marysue as well? LMFAO.
edit on 24-12-2017 by dantanna because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2017 @ 12:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Lysergic

The movie is horrible. I'm a first gen. Star Wars geek.

Ah, that summer... I spent so much money at that theater...

The direction the franchise has taken makes this movie the last new Star Wars movie I'll ever see. I'll stick with the expanded Universe from here on in
. As I said, Star Wars geek.

posted on Dec, 24 2017 @ 12:23 PM
link   
a reply to: dantanna

To be clear, this thread is not so much about pointing out what is wrong or right with the movie its about how the alt-right have review bombed it.

I actually do get some of your points though.

posted on Dec, 24 2017 @ 12:25 PM
link   

To be clear, this thread is not so much about pointing out what is wrong or right with the movie its about how the alt-right have review bombed it.

Are the 'alt-right' not allowed to be movie critics?
So, they don't like the political narratives being pushed in the movie - and?
edit on 24/12/2017 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2017 @ 12:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: UKTruth

They can critique movies all they want.

Using Facebook bots however to flood a review site with negative reviews for a movie they disagree with politically however is another matter.

I don't know if you read the whole of the OP but thats the point, its not that I don't like people who are alt-right reviewing a movie its that they have trolled the site with bots.

posted on Dec, 24 2017 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Using Facebook bots however to flood a review site with negative reviews for a movie they disagree with politically however is another matter.

Sounds like it was the Russians.

posted on Dec, 24 2017 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Are the 'alt-right' the only people to use facebook bots? Why is it a problem if people use facebook bots?

posted on Dec, 24 2017 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Are the 'alt-right' the only people to use facebook bots? Why is it a problem if people use facebook bots?

Nope they are not the only people who do it but in this case it seems so far that a alt-right group are the only ones to have admitted to doing this in the case of the reviews for the Last Jedi.

It is a problem because its skews the overall rating of the movie in a deliberate attempt to create hate for that movie, we see this all the time with video games as well. My issue with this as a big Star Wars fan is that it taints the legacy of the movie. On a more basic level its against the T&Cs of the site, it impacts on the user experience. Its a bit like when someone comes onto ATS and posts a whole load of spam.

I guess if stuff like this does not matter to you then it would not be a issue, for me however it is a issue.

posted on Dec, 24 2017 @ 12:34 PM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

My issue with this as a big Star Wars fan is that it taints the legacy of the movie.

Disney did that.

posted on Dec, 24 2017 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Nope they are not the only people who do it but in this case it seems so far that a alt-right group are the only ones to have admitted to doing this in the case of the reviews for the Last Jedi.

It is a problem because its skews the overall rating of the movie in a deliberate attempt to create hate for that movie, we see this all the time with video games as well. My issue with this as a big Star Wars fan is that it taints the legacy of the movie.

I guess if stuff like this does not matter to you then it would not be a issue, for me however it is a issue.

What world are you living in? The entire consumption of media is skewed by ideology these days.
Here's a solution. Switch off facebook.

The movie has been tainted not by facebook bots, but by the crappy plot and modern-day political narratives. A facebook bot is not going to change that.

posted on Dec, 24 2017 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Someone trolled Star Wars I wonder who?

A religious order needed to die.

Guess the ALT LEFT didn't like them clinging to their light sabers, and books.

link   
a reply to: UKTruth

Again to be clear this thread is not about what is right or wrong with the movie its about a alt-right group review bombing it for political reasons.

So sure you could say it got bad reviews because its a bad movie (in your opinion) but that does not change the content of the OP.

link   
Damn it's time to let the Alt-Right meme die ffs. Gullible people still fall for it and it's not even funny anymore. Please just stop.

I highly respect Mark Hamill and if he says that this is not his Luke i automatically side with him. I'll wait for the Blu Ray though because i don't find any of the new characters interesting. Star Wars is just not what it used to be. I'm all for diversity but if you deliberately leave out white actors to force it then it becomes just another form of racism. Yes i hated the new Ghostbusters but it wasn't because of the women cast. They were mostly fine but the Chris Hemsworth character pissed me off. There is a huge difference between being slow and clumsy or just plain acting braindead. The story was also kinda meh.

posted on Dec, 24 2017 @ 12:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
Someone trolled Star Wars I wonder who?

A religious order needed to die.

Guess the ALT LEFT didn't like them clinging to their light sabers, and books.

HAHA!!

I guess it could have been the Jedi Church out to end the Jedi.

posted on Dec, 24 2017 @ 12:39 PM
link   

a reply to: UKTruth

Again to be clear this thread is not about what is right or wrong with the movie its about a alt-right group review bombing it for political reasons.

So sure you could say it got bad reviews because its a bad movie (in your opinion) but that does not change the content of the OP.

Yeah, I get it - but so what if the 'alt-right' are panning the movie for political reasons. If the studio did not want politics to play a part in audience reaction, they shouldn't have laced the movie with their own ideological commentary on modern day politics.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join