It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Alt-Right Trolling Star Wars

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2017 @ 05:48 PM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

Star Wars is just the latest example of what is wrong with the internet, social media (of all kinds) and the current state of dysfunction in our sociopolitical spheres.

Most people are wound like a spring, ready to leap on the latest "cause" or "movement." The internet has trained us to believe that everyone's opinions are relevant or interesting. This has never been true. It will never be true. The problem isn't a left or right or alt-right issue, it's a people issue.

The real problem with Star Wars isn't a social justice thing, it's a users-think-they-are-makers thing.

Star Wars is like an RPG and Luke Skywalker isn't "our character." Deal with it.

If the alt-right (or alt-left) want to make movies that showcase their political opinions, they should spend decades learning to do so. No amount of kvetching on the 'net will change that fundamental equation. Makers make and users use or don't use. That is their only role.

posted on Dec, 27 2017 @ 05:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Lysergic

Who cares? The EU was mostly garbage. Just a collection of fairy tales about special princesses and other heroic royalty. Just like Neo in the Matrix and every other human fairy tale. Screw "the one." F the special man (or woman).

Rey comes from no one. She doesn't have royal blood. She is a far better model for future fairy tales than any of the pretend royalty that precedes her.

No gods, no queens, no masters, Non serviam.

posted on Dec, 27 2017 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Maybe I'm naive, but I enjoyed the movie and didn't think it was some preachy political statement? I'm more complex than being lumped in to the category of alt-right despite voting for Trump. Truth usually is subtle shades of grey.

posted on Dec, 27 2017 @ 08:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
What is a more likely scenario?

The alt right pushing negative viewer reviews?
Or the Disney powerhouse pressuring paid critics for positive reviews?

The movies doesn't deserve a 92 positive rating or a 55 negative.
It deserves a 75.

Alt-right hate has become the latest excuse for why movies don't do well. The truth is the movie isn't that good. I mean ... Leia flies through space ...

posted on Dec, 27 2017 @ 08:34 PM
link   

I know why you done what you done!

posted on Dec, 27 2017 @ 08:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

originally posted by: Bluntone22
What is a more likely scenario?

The alt right pushing negative viewer reviews?
Or the Disney powerhouse pressuring paid critics for positive reviews?

The movies doesn't deserve a 92 positive rating or a 55 negative.
It deserves a 75.

Alt-right hate has become the latest excuse for why movies don't do well. The truth is the movie isn't that good. I mean ... Leia flies through space ...

Don't forget there is now gravity in space for bombing runs. As well as a 2-hour pointless chase that is ended with a single ships suicide run. They should just aim junkers at dreadnaughts at lightspeed and win the war. The whole thing was riddled with plotholes and pointless escapades.

Take away the special effects and the story is complete trash.

posted on Dec, 27 2017 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Every mature adult will in some way base their opinions politically, because it affects their quality of life (mostly in the not groovy way). So, you are incorrect to state that a political swaying does not exist. Strong female lead, or not.
edit on 012CST08America/Chicago04880831 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2017 @ 11:34 PM
link   
guys i really hate to have to be the one to remind you, but star wars was ALWAYS political.
it's ALWAYS been about exactly what it's about now.
it's not Leia's fault you grew up to side with the Empire.

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 03:30 AM
link   
The original guidebook to writing the Star Wars script -

The Hero with a Thousand Faces

George Lucas' deliberate use of Campbell's theory of the monomyth in the making of the Star Wars movies is well documented. On the DVD release of the famous colloquy between Campbell and Bill Moyers, filmed at Lucas' Skywalker Ranch and broadcast in 1988 on PBS as The Power of Myth, Campbell and Moyers discussed Lucas's use of The Hero with a Thousand Faces in making his films.[11] Lucas himself discussed how Campbell's work affected his approach to storytelling and film-making.[12]

Mr. Lucas apparently new what was good, and when something should die.
In the history of the human race we've never before had something like 'endless art'. An expression of oneself through an art form should always contain an end... at least that's what I believe.

A story can be left 'uncompleted' for the listener to complete with his own creative thoughts and perhaps decide the end for themselves, but the 'art' has been experienced to completion.

Star Wars was written as the perfect 'hero' story.

Since when has Star Wars become the shining beacon of social commentary ? When did we decide that 'in a galaxy far far away' really means 'in our backyards'...?

What ever happened to : "It's fiction and should be interpreted as such." ?

This new way of telling stories... Building up a cult following first, who worship your stories and it's fictional universe and never allowing them the true escape of having an end to a story.

Enslaved have you become.

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 09:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Grimpachi

Take away the special effects and the story is complete trash.

That has been the case for every installment after the first. So why has this episode attracted a bot campaign?

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 10:37 AM
link   
It's always been a modern Flash Gordon. Jesus, it was never meant to be realistic sci-fi. The people who don't get that are stupid.

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 11:28 AM
link   
a reply to: DJW001

No, you are wrong.

I have seen a play of the original star wars and it was good. I thought so and so did the audience. The latest film is just a hodgepodge of special effects and bad story telling.

Also, I have read the reviews on RT and the ones that look like bots are not the ones scoring it badly.

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 12:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Grimpachi

Bad story telling isn't just limited to Star Wars though. Most modern movies suffer from it these days.

One would think most scriptwriters haven't studied much in the way of the best examples of stories in literature to know what a good plot is when they go to construct one.

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 12:17 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Most movies are crap. I never said otherwise, but I expected more from star wars. They had 30 years to come up with a good story. Actually, the sequels had been written long ago, but they wanted to break away from all of that and go in a new direction which I am fine with. You would think that being free like that they could do something real good, but nope, not even close.
edit on 28-12-2017 by Grimpachi because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 12:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: DJW001
That has been the case for every installment after the first. So why has this episode attracted a bot campaign?

This argument would make sense if Star Wars was the only thing we have seen bot'ed over the past year. We haven't.

This Star Wars was bot'ed because it is the first Star Wars to be released when Joe Average can get a bot up and running....just like Joe Average has been doing all year in politics, retail reviews, etc.

You are kidding yourself if you think any Star Wars, previously produced, would get a high viewer score today. Heck, many considered it a major miracle GL got the green light to make the 2nd film.

I do find it very telling how those that were so pro-consumer voice, are now anti-consumer voice because the voice doesn't agree with them.

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Who wants to see this film!

youtu.be...

edit on 28-12-2017 by Theprodicalson because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2018 @ 02:27 PM
link   
saw the last jedi yesterday, thought it was quite fun.

it's a shame some guys don't have anything better to do than waste all their time and energy trying to gatekeep nerd culture and keep it a white boys only treehouse.

posted on Jan, 2 2018 @ 02:53 PM
link   
I thought it was a great movie.

Yeah there were problems, like Princess leah floating around in space and then being fine. But again, we weren't expecting shakespeare or anything like that it's a space opera...we're in it for other reasons.

Secondly, we can't compare it tot he first trilogy with luke and Han...nothing compares to that. It was groundbreaking and it's become mythical in our imaginations and memories. So you can't compare it to those. It comes up lacking, every star wars movie will be lacking, every sci fi movie will be lacking.

But on it's own merits, I thought it was great.

I have another theory...Most people that disliked the movie voted for Trump or self identify as republicans. That's my theory, I think some people have a hard time not projecting their biases onto the movie.

Don't get me wrong, it's not the other way...I'm not saying all republicans or conservatives hate the movie. All I'm saying is that most people that disliked the movie are republicans or conservatives..(Not libertarian or constitution party either, but trump supporters or self identifying republicans) We should start a poll on ATS just to see if that's correct. and then define most..(over 70%?)

posted on Jan, 2 2018 @ 03:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: amazing
I have another theory...Most people that disliked the movie voted for Trump or self identify as republicans. That's my theory, I think some people have a hard time not projecting their biases onto the movie.

The poor ratings for the film don't stop at the US border. I doubt your theory about butt hurt Republicans will hold up/

posted on Jan, 2 2018 @ 03:18 PM
link   
a reply to: amazing

Your theory is wrong, lifelong independent and the more I think on the movie the more I hate the putrid story telling.

Introducing characters to kill them, and the death does nothing to further the story is bad storytelling, Disregarding central plot hooks from the previous movie for no discernible reason. Changing the personality of a major lore character for a cheap plot twist (doesn't matter if this was a hold over from 7) is lazy writing.

I get its wizards in space, but rose catching finn to save his life at the end was just gawd awful, not to mention the storyline that brought her into it for some reason.

This lousy director is going to get to do 3 more movies in the star wars universe.

Sorry I freely admit I saw the originals first run in theater multiple times each, while they were not great story telling they were head an shoulders about 8, heck 7 was a decent reboot hitting the high points with a homage to previous movies and setting up some interesting plot hooks that 8 ignored or killed off.

8 just strikes me as a lets kill off all the links to the originals so we can take the story any direction we want, which is going to piss on a signifigant portion of the fan base.

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12 >>

join