It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Alt-Right Trolling Star Wars

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 26 2017 @ 03:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: DJW001
a reply to: eitea

I find the data compelling. The movie is being subjected to an online attack. Even if most of the newly registered raters are bots, it is quite a massive effort. I suspect this may be an experiment to see if online ratings can actually be used to steer a considerable chunk of the economy....

The group claiming responsibility have said they are going to go after Infinite world next.

Like I say, there is not any hard proof that backs up their claims but the number of new users who wrote negative reviews is really strange. only 6% of the negative reviews for the movie came from existing members of the site.

I think if Infinite world has the same kind of problems then it could prove that were successful.

posted on Dec, 26 2017 @ 03:17 PM
link   
dp
edit on 26-12-2017 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2017 @ 03:19 PM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

Post anything liberal or left and the vultures attack...they did so with antivillian or what ever his name was and now you are their prey lol.

Anyhow I thought it added more to the philosophy of the force and it has made me question my beliefs so I liked it and boo to the right wing bots.

posted on Dec, 26 2017 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Sorry you think one lunatic represents the alt-right. You be as mistaken as this lunatic is if you believe he is the embodiment of the alt-right.
edit on 26-12-2017 by thepixelpusher because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2017 @ 06:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin
What I find interesting about this thread is how almost everyone has misunderstood it by not reading the OP.

The debate is not about if Star Wars the Last Jedi was a good or bad movie, the debate is around a group deliberately review bombing the movie with negative reviews, not because of the artistic merits of the movie but for political reasons.

I do not care if you thought the Last Jedi was amazing or rubbish, thats not what this thread is about this thread is about a alt-right group trolling the movie with bots to bring down its rotten tomatoes scoring and generate more hate around the movie.

Honestly if you think the movie is utter crap thats fine, but its not what this thread is about, its about the alt-right (or a alt-right group rather) negatively review bombing the movie because they don't like its politics. Also I am not claiming that if you are someone who does not like the movie for legitimate reasons that makes you part of the alt-right.

.I think that so many people posting on this site have just not bothered reading the OP that very few of you actually understand what you are posting about.

There is no debate. Both sides do this and you're trying to cast light on one side.

/thread.

posted on Dec, 26 2017 @ 07:54 PM
link   
I want to emphasize what I said earlier. The entertainment industry represents a great deal of money. It is also a way that nations can project soft power. Anglo-American films ("Hollywood") are a major vehicle for spreading western values, as are French and Italian to a lesser, but disproportionately influential extent. Being able to manipulate the public reaction to films through the use of minimally moderated internet rating sites can have a subtle but real effect both on the material success of films (economic impact) and their ability to inculcate others with "western values" (political impact). We may be seeing yet another experiment in "information warfare" being attempted. It's like the owner of Herm's Hot Dog Stand spamming bad reviews of Original Herm's Hot Dog Stand on Yelp! to drive off business.

Let's assume that it is merely coincidence that the members most intent on ridiculing the statistics that the Op has collected are all noted for their alt-right views.

posted on Dec, 27 2017 @ 08:20 AM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin>>> This was brought up on another board and the whole premise is just as ridiculous here as it was there. There is no alt right trolling of Star Wars. What you have is some trolls PRETENDING to be the alt right( is there even such a thing, really?) making comments designed to stir up controversy and to get the lame new Star Wars some media attention. If the characters are viewed as ho hum and the plot is insipid and uninspired, its got to be because the alt right don't think women can be Jedi. LOL, that is ridiculous. I don't think most conservatives would even go to a Star Wars movie even if they redigitilzed Ronald Reagan and made him the new Han Solo. So go after Disney if you think they're so sexist. They do hate children........ sick SOBs.

posted on Dec, 27 2017 @ 08:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Dutchowl

What is the difference between a troll saying hateful things because they are racist and misogynistic and a troll saying hateful things because he is PRETENDING to be racist and misogynistic?
edit on 27-12-2017 by DJW001 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2017 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Cant tell if troll or idiot. The movie was objectively bad. No tone, no cohesive storyline, no realism to match the hyper emotionalism, no canon arc, and no #ing lightsaber battles. If you think that side plots of horse rabbits being set free while the little slave kids are left to get punished for some inane message about animal cruelty that takes thirty minutes to make is good....then damn, why am I even wasting my time here.

Oh yeah...to tell you how much of a damn fool you are to think alt right trolls are influencing the reviews.

The movie gets 3/5 on the majority of local, national and international review board out there.

The only reason it has "critical" acclaim is because to go after Disney is to end their career.

posted on Dec, 27 2017 @ 09:01 AM
link   
a reply to: TheCaviller

So if the movie is so bad, why is it shattering box office records? And you still haven't addressed the unnatural number of new accounts appearing in such a brief span of time.

posted on Dec, 27 2017 @ 09:13 AM
link   
a reply to: stosh64

"A jedi doesn't give up, he doesn't secret himself away on an Island"

For some reason Yoda and Dagobah popped into my head....

I for one remember that time Anakin Skywalker walked the light path and saved the Universe. He never doubted, he never gave up, he had tenacity.......

Maybe Mark should think about the very fictional Universe his very fictional Luke Skywalker occupies some more. Maybe read a few of the books, play some of the video games, or maybe watch some of the films.

The whole Star Wars Universe is filled with dark moments and Jedi's doing un-Jedi like things.

Some 40 years later, with new writers, directors and even society being different things are gonna sadly change.
Doctor Who being a tranny now anyone?

Now my brain hurts... I need to just stick to looking at films as the escape from reality for a couple of hours entertainment they are.
This whole treating fiction like reality of modern times is a bit worrying.

Damn, flashbacks to IMDB message board days and watching people use real science to argue over made up Star Trek guff and plotholes.

Sigh, everyone seems to pushing an agenda these days, and pushing it into everything. On all sides. all are equally guilty.
Can we not just have films and TV shows that are purely designed to entertain. Does everything have to be an exercise into politics, diversity and social commentary on a whole?
Does everything need a label?
Does everything need to be turned into some kind of conflict?

GAAAAAAH!

posted on Dec, 27 2017 @ 09:18 AM
link   
a reply to: DJW001

Because it's Star Wars - now owned by the largest media corporation on earth. Is that not self explanatory to you?

Unnatural new accounts?!? Wtf are you an account forensic scientist. The burden of proof is on you dimwits.

The rotten tomatoes score is a score that is replicated across the board on multiple ratings cites.

Watch over the next few days/weeks as those numbers get even closer together. I'll give you a hint: aggreagate not going up. That is because it's a # movie.

All the beta siths out there, fanboys and sjws might keep their rating inflated by spamming good reviews all day (folks with too much time like OP). But like everything else, they will lose interest and the movie will be relegated to where it should be.

Here, why don't you take a look at your local theater reviews. Hell, maybe even look at some in Europe or Australia. Do you reckon those slimy altrighters are just up to no good all over the place?

Pretty amazing the logic behind this ridiculous theory: alt right has so much faith in the user reviews influencing potential they put together an impromptu sting to tank the ratings because this is the best way to get people to not see a movie. All because of the female lead?

Did I get all that?

edit on 27-12-2017 by TheCaviller because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2017 @ 01:10 PM
link   

So if the movie is so bad, why is it shattering box office records? And you still haven't addressed the unnatural number of new accounts appearing in such a brief span of time.

Last I heard (a few days ago) its 100 million behind the Force awakens, so what records has it set?

posted on Dec, 27 2017 @ 01:15 PM
link   

This is the issue at the heart of this thread that nobody who is posting the usual "rubbish OP" posts is bothering to address.

The issue at the heart of this thread is not about if the last Jedi was a good movie or not but rather its about the manipulation of the ratings for political reasons.

posted on Dec, 27 2017 @ 02:02 PM
link   

The film had a great start, but it now holds the record for the biggest ever box office fall from weeks 1 to 2. This might be because it was such a letdown and has had limited word of mouth support to drive others to see it. Or it could just be a lull in the holiday season. We'll see. Certainly, my review to my own circle of family and friends concludes 'don't bother, wait till it's on TV'.
edit on 27/12/2017 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2017 @ 03:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin

This is the issue at the heart of this thread that nobody who is posting the usual "rubbish OP" posts is bothering to address.

The issue at the heart of this thread is not about if the last Jedi was a good movie or not but rather its about the manipulation of the ratings for political reasons.

Like how the new ghostbusters was killed by its own trailer? So the attack became you are misogynistic if you find fault with the movie?

Not saying it’s right... Or you are angry because there was back lash over a crappy movie seen to put agenda over quality?

The Disney princess movies seem to have no trouble? The wonder women movie? The original aliens movie?

posted on Dec, 27 2017 @ 04:31 PM
link   
The movie was so bad that I believe the bad ratings are from people who generally feel cheated. I went to see thor, but got there a few minutes late and wound up seeing star wars thinking it can't be as bad as people said. I was wrong it is worse than people said.

If I thought complaining or signing the petition to have them redo it would work I would sign. It seemed like they purposely destroyed star wars.

posted on Dec, 27 2017 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Currently this movie as a 92% critics rating on Rotten Tomatoes but only a 55%

Op is 100% correct, trolls have been deliberately giving the film negative ratings on rotten tomatoes.
Although the premise of why is incorrect. It did not start out as an organized effort to negatively affect a disney movies ratings because of various aspects of the films cast or story.
They were triggered not by a female lead or black and asian actors or a animal rights scene but by the discrepancy between the critics rating and the initial public reviews from those who had seen the movie before it opened.

I thought the movie sucked as a star wars movie and give it a 6.5/10, i enjoyed force awakens much more but what this film did has just just destroyed that movie also imo.

help us George you are our only hope.
edit on 27-12-2017 by oddnutz because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2017 @ 05:24 PM
link   
a reply to: oddnutz

It will be interesting to see if Disney will allow the continued creation of fan fiction that was allowed under Lucas. Or if it will start to go after copyright infringement with the same zeal used against daycares that put Snow White up on their walls?

posted on Dec, 27 2017 @ 05:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: testingtesting

Anyhow I thought it added more to the philosophy of the force and it has made me question my beliefs so I liked it and boo to the right wing bots.

And what is that? That the force is in everyone and 1000s of years of wisdom is not needed, neither is training etc...kind of an Easy button I guess.

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12 >>

join