It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Alt-Right Trolling Star Wars

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 24 2017 @ 11:21 AM
link   

The Alt-Right Trolling Star Wars

I think by now it’s well known that I am not the biggest fan of the political movement that encompasses the “Alt-right”, I am ideologically opposed to them in almost every way. Now however they have taken it too far, they have attacked Star Wars. When I first came across this, honesty, I thought it was some kind of joke but it’s actually really quite real. Star Wars the Last Jedi has been trolled in a deliberate attempt by the alt-right to generate hate for the movie.

Currently this movie as a 92% critics rating on Rotten Tomatoes but only a 55% audience rating. So, before I go any further I want to make something abundantly clear, there are a lot of people who don’t like this movie who are big Star Wars fans who just don’t like what Rain Johnstone has done with the franchise. These are people who have written negative reviews based on the movie and not on politics. However, it is clear that there is also a group of people who have been deliberately trying to concentrate negativity around this movie for political reasons.

The individuals who are doing this are from the alt-right, they oppose the movie because they see it as a commentary on social justice. With a strong female lead and a cast of actors from various ethnic groups, even a commentary in the movie around animal rights, politically the protagonists of the movie do not represent the alt-right.

In this video Richard Spancer explains why the alt-right hate Star Wars The Last Jedi so much.

There is also this video that sums up the alt-rights political views of this movie

So the alt-right really don’t like this movie, you can see it over the internet, you can even see it on the threads on this movie on ATS. Then a group of online alt-right activists calling themselves Down with Disney’s treatment of franchises and its fan boys, have claimed that they have deliberately created bots to drive down the rotten tomatoes score.

According to the facebook page of this group:

Thanks to friends of mine who taught me a thing or two about Bot Accounts, I used them to create this audience score through Facebook accounts created that subsequently logged into Rotten Tomatoes who rigged this score and still keep it dropping.

It astounds me how I successfully bring out the worst in all of you and turn all of you against Disney. The Anti-EU fans bought this on themselves and I did what had to be done.

Shall we create something similar for Avengers: Infinity War?

This story was eventually picked up by the Huffington post who claim to have spoken with the guy who done this. Apparently, he claims to have used Facebook bots to bypass the systems that Rotten Tomatoes uses to prevent people trolling reviews in this way. This individual also set out why he done what he done stating that:

the self-identified member of the “alt-right” claimed that Poe Dameron (played by Oscar Isaac) is a “victim of the anti-mansplaining movement,” that Poe and Luke Skywalker (Mark Hamill) are in danger of being “turn[ed]” gay, and that men should be reinstated as rulers of “society.”

The article goes on to report that:

When pressed for specific complaints against “The Last Jedi,” the Down With Disney moderator expounded on his disdain for its “feminist agenda.”

“Regarding female heroes: Did you not see everything that came out of Ghostbusters? That is why,” he said. “I’m sick and tired of men being portrayed as idiots. There was a time we ruled society and I want to see that again. That is why I voted for Donald Trump.”

edit on 24-12-2017 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2017 @ 11:23 AM
link   
So Is this True?

Since this story broke Rotten Tomatoes took it so seriously they launched their own investigation after which they say they do not believe that what this group is claiming to be True (Link).

There are however a number of interesting points that I would make that could point Rotten Tomatoes being wrong. Not only is it in Rotten Tomatoes best interests to deny this has happened but also because of some oddities in the reviews themselves. The last Star Wars movie that was released was Rogue One currently has an audience score of 87% based on 97,000 reviews. The Last Jedi is at 52% but that is with 140,000 reviews, so with the movie having been out only a week it has more reviews that the last movie which has been out for a year.

There are other strange things to note in the reviews, I took the time to look through the first twenty page of reviews on rotten tomatoes looking only at the negative reviews. In most (but not all) cases the reviewer has only ever reviewed one movie (the last jedi) or the account is just simply no longer active. I find this very strange and I am not the only one, one site pulled 100 negative reviews from metacritic and Rotten Tomatoes to look at the number of new or non-existent profiles that reviewed the Last jedi and found this.

Then there is also the fact that the rotten tomatoes user score is not in keeping with other audience review aggregators. IMBD for example has the last jedi at 77% it was up to 80% at one point. Apparently ComScore (who poll people leaving the cinema) had scored the movie higher than The Force Awakens with about 90% approval rating and its got a A rating on CinemaScore. So, something is definitely wrong then with the rotten tomatoes score

That’s not even mentioning the overwhelmingly positive critic reviews. What is curious is that in general on Rotten tomatoes the critic and audience score are either almost the same or the critics score lower than the audience. This 92% vs 52% current rating on Rotten Tomatoes is an anomaly for the site.

It seems like what we have seen then is what happens in video games, sometimes this is called “review bombing”. The tactic is simple, review sites are trolled with negative reviews to create a general feeling of hate for a game (or in this case a movie) which then in turn percolates into the media and creates a general negative view of game/movie. It seems that in this instance this may very well have been done by members of the alt-right who do not like the political messages behind The Last Jedi.

Final thoughts.

My final thoughts on this…..

It pisses me off, I go to the cinema to get away from this kind of crap, the reason I love Star Wars is because it lets me escape to a galaxy far far away where I can lose myself for a few hours. It annoys me then that the alt-right have taken this movie for 12 year olds about space wizards and have trolled it so hard. They have taken away the legacy of this movie.

I just also wanted to take this opportunity to point out that this thread is about the alt-right trolling a movie, that is why I have put it in the mud-pit because this is the forum for political trolling as such I felt it was fitting.

Lastly I would be very interested to hear the views of others regarding this.

posted on Dec, 24 2017 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Apologies, thought I would need this space.

+40 more 
posted on Dec, 24 2017 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Needless to say this is not a big deal.

First off many other sites have the movie being around 50 percent or a little higher.

Second, many people that are not alt right do not like the direction the movies have gone in.

Mark hamil who plays luke Skywalker hated what they did to his character.

He must be a nazi though I guess.
edit on 24-12-2017 by Grambler because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2017 @ 11:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Grambler

First off many pyjer sites have the movie being around 50 percent or a little higher.

Well if you read the entire OP the movie is actually scoring higher on other sites and other movie polls.

Just seem to be rotten tomatoes and meta-critic, (however meta-critic only has a few thousand reviews)

+48 more 
posted on Dec, 24 2017 @ 11:31 AM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

I want you to stop for just a few minutes and think: How long did it take you to research this information and put this thread together?

Now, think of all the more positive things you could have done with that time improving your own life and family and friends around you, especially considering it's Christmas eve.

You always had the option to simply enjoy the movie yourself and ignore what others think, but instead you ended up doing this:

+30 more 
link   

I'll side with Mark Hamill on this.

Disney should be ashamed with what they did to Star Wars.
It seems the numbers agree.
"Box Office: “Last Jedi” Now Running Over $100 Mil Behind “Force Awakens”

But don't let any of this get in the way of your partisan hate.
edit on 12 24 2017 by stosh64 because: (no reason given)

+28 more 
link   

I have people I work with who are devoted alt lefts who said this movie sucked........bad. How am I to label them now? Please help.

edit on 24-12-2017 by Tarzan the apeman. because: Forgot a D

posted on Dec, 24 2017 @ 11:34 AM
link   
a reply to: TerminalVelocity

I want you to stop for just a few minutes and think: How long did it take you to research this information and put this thread together?

I spend about a hour on it writing it up today and about 2 hours researching it yesterday.

Now, think of all the more positive things you could have done with that time improving your own life and family and friends around you, especially considering it's Christmas eve.

Sadly not all of us can spend Christmas Eve with loved ones.

Thank you for reminding me of that.

Anything to post on topic dude?

posted on Dec, 24 2017 @ 11:34 AM
link   
It would be nice if we could keep politics out of great science fiction movies.

This world has become so goddamned political people see EVERYTHING from a political perspective. I'm beginning to wonder if anyone anywhere is able to actually think for themselves.

+4 more 
posted on Dec, 24 2017 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Guess Luke Skywalker is alt right?

He # all over it.... Goes against starwars expanded universe anyways.

I think that's the problem hardcore fans have I mean we read the books and played the games between the decades.

posted on Dec, 24 2017 @ 11:37 AM
link   
My favorite was the alt right crying that they where not enough white characters in the new star wars movie, waaaaaaa they used non whites for heroes waaaaaaaaaaa.

posted on Dec, 24 2017 @ 11:37 AM
link   
I’m a hyper conservative..

Saw rogue one 5 Times..
Saw last Jedi opening day in imax 3D
Will see it at least 4 more times...

Star Wars is awesome and most sci-fi/fantasy is liberal leaning(save Tolkien, Lewis, etc)

Anyhow, I digress...

Long live the empire...I mean rebellion

-Chris

posted on Dec, 24 2017 @ 11:38 AM
link   

The last decent one was the return of the jedy, after that it was all the way down, maybe except the clone wars but even so not comparable with the first 3. To me the best one is the empire strikes back.

The one before this one they released recently its pitiful, It´s merely a bunch of star wars cliches put together and they call it a movie? No argument, no logic, just fortunate coincidences one after the other and a bunch of cliches.
edit on 24-12-2017 by CrapAsUsual because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2017 @ 11:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: dukeofjive696969
My favorite was the alt right crying that they where not enough white characters in the new star wars movie, waaaaaaa they used non whites for heroes waaaaaaaaaaa.

This was actually a thing after The Force Awakens.

"Boycott 'Star Wars VII'" Movement Launched; Movie Called "Anti-White"

posted on Dec, 24 2017 @ 11:39 AM
link   
What is a more likely scenario?

The alt right pushing negative viewer reviews?
Or the Disney powerhouse pressuring paid critics for positive reviews?

The movies doesn't deserve a 92 positive rating or a 55 negative.
It deserves a 75.

+5 more 
posted on Dec, 24 2017 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Sorry but the last jedi is being slammed because it was a crap movie not because of "diversity".

I loved rogue one and that ticked more diversity boxes that the last jedi.

I simply did not like the last jedi and most the people I know who saw it say the same things.

A # movie is simply a # movie, no racist conspiracy.

posted on Dec, 24 2017 @ 11:40 AM
link   

As a Star Wars fan, Disney themselves ruined the Star Wars franchise. Look at the new Battle Front games for example.

Sure there are some good stuff like Rogue One but I feel like over time Disney is going to degrade the franchise even further.

posted on Dec, 24 2017 @ 11:42 AM
link   
a reply to: starwarsisreal

As a Star Wars fan, Disney themselves ruined the Star Wars franchise. Look at the new Battle Front games for example.

yeah your username gives that away....

To be fair it was EA who destroyed battlefront.

posted on Dec, 24 2017 @ 11:43 AM
link   
a reply to: starwarsisreal

and they are set to buy 21st Century Fox for like 54bn...

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join