It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Driverless Cars & the police?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2017 @ 08:11 PM
link   
So this is part 2 to my post driverless cars and driving in the snow.

I was traveling today and noticed tons of police pulling over tons of cars which = tons of ticket income.

So imagine driverless cars. I assume they will follow all traffic laws to a T, so where is all the ticket income going to come from?
Will the police simply downsize (I doubt it). I looked it up and traffic tickets are a BILLION dollar industry!
Will the police simply move their policing to a different area, online crimes, Jaywalking, the war on drugs (lol)...

posted on Dec, 23 2017 @ 08:19 PM
link   
No more DUI's!

Would love to see the officer give the car a field sobriety test however!! LOL.

posted on Dec, 23 2017 @ 08:20 PM
link   
we need to start putting our government in check so as to prevent insanity like your describing

posted on Dec, 23 2017 @ 08:25 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Law Enforcement does not set punishment nor fines for speeding infractions. The Prosecuting Attorney, in general, has the final say in whether or not a traffic summons is prosecuted. A judge then determines if the person is guilty and if so how much their fine is.

Most states have laws that restrict the amount of funding for police departments that come from traffic citations.

The fines that are collected dont go to law enforcement but instead goes to the government entities general fund.

posted on Dec, 23 2017 @ 08:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

I was traveling today and noticed tons of police pulling over tons of cars which = tons of ticket income.

So imagine driverless cars. I assume they will follow all traffic laws to a T, so where is all the ticket income going to come from?
Will the police simply downsize (I doubt it). I looked it up and traffic tickets are a BILLION dollar industry!
Will the police simply move their policing to a different area, online crimes, Jaywalking, the war on drugs (lol)...

I think the adoption of driverless cars, and associated revenue loss, will take some time to mature. At the same time, police will be investing in automated tech requiring less staff. So I'll go with downsizing. And robocops.
edit on 23-12-2017 by Templeton because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2017 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Perhaps the cops will scan the AI for viruses, and if detected: hit the owner with a "DUIV"

posted on Dec, 23 2017 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Sadly, Police these days are no longer there to Serve and Protect, they are there to raise money for the State/County.

They are in effect, now tax collectors.

posted on Dec, 23 2017 @ 08:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: gort51
Sadly, Police these days are no longer there to Serve and Protect, they are there to raise money for the State/County.

They are in effect, now tax collectors.

Correction: They're "Road Pirates".

ETA: What if some A.I. went rogue and turned all cars into killing machines like the movie by Stephen King, "Maximum Overdrive"??
edit on E31America/ChicagoSat, 23 Dec 2017 20:55:41 -060012pmSaturdayrd08pm by EternalShadow because: add/correction

posted on Dec, 23 2017 @ 09:30 PM
link   
As an urban planning graduate student in Los Angeles, this topic comes up frequently. The implications of driverless cars aren’t just loss of revenue for the law enforcement and cities, but also a loss of revenue for insurance companies, hospitals, parking lots, taxi drivers, truck drivers etc... this is a massive game changer, and speaking from research, not one city has accounted for this technology in there general (master) plan. It’s unavoidable and welcomed, it’s going to help the masses, but it’s also going to hurt those that chrug it off as sci fi technology. LA for example is going to set a specific year that there going to stop selling internal combostion engines, a lot of European countries have already done so, years are as soon as 2025 last I read.

posted on Dec, 23 2017 @ 09:37 PM
link   

I kinda think they will turn their resources and attention to roadside looting of people via the civil foriture laws the US has. Who knows, they may have already found its more lucriative than infrignments.

Infringements will still continue because they use this mechanism not only to raise revenue but also because its an important tool in reversing the burden of proof, reversing the right to silence and reliminating the right not to self incriminate.

These tools for achieving changes in the law are proving successfull in my country.

Infringments work on the basis that accusation is proof.

posted on Dec, 23 2017 @ 09:49 PM
link   
a reply to: nadeaveli

That is so interesting, and I'm sure there are thousands of other little things were aren't even considering. Will kids need to be in car seats anymore? Will cars even need things like rear view mirrors etc.

posted on Dec, 23 2017 @ 09:53 PM
link   

...and if the driverless car malfunctions and breaks a traffic law and the police pull the car over, the people in the car can say they're not responsible. "It's the cars fault!"

The driverless car is going to open up a whole new set of problems.

posted on Dec, 23 2017 @ 10:02 PM
link   

a reply to: nadeaveli

That is so interesting, and I'm sure there are thousands of other little things were aren't even considering. Will kids need to be in car seats anymore? Will cars even need things like rear view mirrors etc.

It’s a exciting time to be a urban planner. The car seat laws I’m sure will stay the same. The politics involved in my occupation is unbelievable. Autonomous cars are just the beginning. Major cities have to plan decades ahead of time, but they only account for the technology that’s in front of them .

posted on Dec, 23 2017 @ 10:02 PM
link   
this makes me wonder, what do driverless cars do right now if a firetruck, ambulance or police car is charging down the road with lights and sirens blaring? do they know to try and pull over or is just on the driver in the car to take over in a situation like that?

posted on Dec, 23 2017 @ 10:05 PM
link   
excellent point op!

how do the police even pull a driverless car over for a traffic infraction? lights and sirens? do driverless cars respond to lights and sirens?

and ...and who do the police give the ticket to if a driverless car causes an accident?

who signs and accepts the ticket from the officer?

if you refuse to sign or accept the ticket the police MUST take you to jail, so who do the police take to jail when a driverless car can`t sign or accept the ticket? maybe they just impound the car?

this opens a huge pandoras box!

how can a technician or the owner of the driverless car company even testify in court as a witness since he wasn`t even there when the car got pulled over and ticketed?

do automatic cars stop if they hit something or do they just keep going? if an automatic car runs a person over does it just keep driving or does it stop and wait for the police to arrive? does it stop and call the police everytime it hits something?

if I throw a plastic 55 gallon drum in front of an automatic car will it stop and call the police and wait for the police to arrive?

will it be against the law to maliciously interfere with an automatic car by throwing a plastic trash can in front of it and causing it to stop and call the police?

if there are people in the automatic car when it gets in an accident will they testify for the car or against the car? or perhaps they will testify FOR whichever side they can get more money from in damages.

what happens if 2 unoccupied driverless cars are involved in an accident and there are no human witnesses?
will the cars computers be allowed to testify in court as credible witnesses?
and which computer will be believed?

if computers are allowed to testify in court as credible witnesses, what have we done and where are we headed!?

edit on 23-12-2017 by bluechevytree because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2017 @ 10:17 PM
link   
Here’s something to ponder:

Driverless Motorhomes.

What are the implications of a population in constant transit; living and working day to day while plying the roadways stopping only to replenish supplies (if even then. On the go delivery services anyone?)

Would a “home” invasion now be chargeable as an act of piracy?

posted on Dec, 23 2017 @ 10:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bhadhidar
Here’s something to ponder:

Driverless Motorhomes.

What are the implications of a population in constant transit; living and working day to day while plying the roadways stopping only to replenish supplies (if even then. On the go delivery services anyone?)

Would a “home” invasion now be chargeable as an act of piracy?

i dont know the specifics of the laws but i do know that there are already laws in place to prevent a person from being able to live like that. i think u can do that for 4-5 months out of the year but u are required to have a permanent residence in some form. i cant recall the wording used for someone who has exceeded the time limit but id imagine if you were pulled over in a driverless motorhome and they had u in the system allready youd probly end up going to jail or something for that aswell. the laws are part of a crackdown the govt has been semi waging against tiny homes and off griders
edit on 23-12-2017 by TheScale because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2017 @ 10:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Bhadhidar

well, I suppose a driverless fed-ex truck couldn`t be any worse than the human occupied ones we have now, maybe a driverless one might actually get here within 3 days after the scheduled deliver date.
that`s right I said it, fed-ex SUCKS!

posted on Dec, 23 2017 @ 10:29 PM
link   
a reply to: TheScale

yeah,
vagabond, bum, gypsy, transient, etc.

posted on Dec, 23 2017 @ 10:39 PM
link   
a reply to: bluechevytree

Imagine the authorities trying label (or would it be, libel?) someone living in a quarter to half million dollar motor home a gypsy, transient, or heavens!,

A bum!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join