It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Weight Loss?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2003 @ 06:06 PM
link   
maybe weight loss shouldn't be your only goal. I like setting medium to long term goals that don't pertain to weight loss but do involve the activities that lead to it. For instance, 2 years ago, I was really into biking so my main goals I focused on was my distance and time on certain trails. Everything I ate and drank had a purpose it seemed but I never worried about weight loss and I lost weight. Well, I haven't been doing that much since breaking a foot doing it and moving away from my favorite trails but I have been aiming to bench press 300lbs and thats what I've been focused on for the last 8 months. I haven't worried about my weight just the weight I need to lift. I don't think I've lost any but I have trimmed the old waistline. Forget your weight problem and get a physical activity that demands progress and focus on it. Just an idea but its working well for me.

posted on Jul, 3 2003 @ 08:25 PM
link   
Same goal here I am aiming to bench 300 by this summer, I am stuck on the dreaded 295 pounder and im only 16

posted on Jul, 3 2003 @ 10:53 PM
link   
You know what works for me?? A low carb diet. Go low carb and excercise and the weight will melt off in no time. I went on a diet a couple of months back in order to get to weight I was in high school. I've lost 30 pounds in 5 months. Im 10 pounds from reaching my healthy weight of 165.

posted on Jul, 3 2003 @ 10:57 PM
link   
Atkins is the key i lost 70 pounds in 4 weeks

arc

posted on Jul, 4 2003 @ 11:05 AM
link   
forget the weight!

5lb is nothing to worry about - my weight can go up and down in a month by that amount and I suspect that at 115lb I'm quite a lot smaller than you. We get too obsessed with what the scales read when it's all about how you feel in your skin. Plus remember the more muscle mass you gain, the heavier you'll become anyhow.

Diet-wise - just eat in moderation and drink plenty of water. Stick to natural wholesome food, low fat dairy products and proteins, and plenty of vegetables. I'm never certain how safe some of these diets are that cut out entire food groups anyhow - I went for a fat free diet in my teens and ended up with thin hair, eczema and all sorts of problems. The Atkins diet seems to work better for men than for women, but seems a bit odd to me as it's very high in saturated fats.

Exercise is best and it doesn't have to involve the gym either if you make your life as active as possible. I don't own a car, walk everywhere, carry my shopping home (within reason) and never sit still for more than 20 minutes without getting up and moving around. Quite possibly why at 30 I weigh the same as I did at 16 and still have a flat stomach and very lean and well defined muscle tone. (its certainly not my metabolism - am more than capable of piling on weight if I over indulge for long periods)

posted on Jul, 7 2003 @ 07:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Beast4rmDaEast
Same goal here I am aiming to bench 300 by this summer, I am stuck on the dreaded 295 pounder and im only 16

I'm up to 290 the last two weeks. I don't count the weight until I can get six reps with it and I got 8 reps with the 290 and its feeling somewhat more comfortable and less of a strain but I have off weeks too and you have to allow time for those. I'm 34 now and have always wanted to bench 300 since my college days but never got over 250. My arms are extremly long and its hard to get much weight that high. I found that I was really working too hard in college and not allowing enough time to build muscle before hitting it again. Now, I only work each group once a week and each session last only about an hour. I've made more progress in 8 months than in two years of not knowing what I'm doing.

posted on Jul, 7 2003 @ 09:43 AM
link   
[Edited on 8-7-2003 by Pocket]

posted on Jul, 7 2003 @ 10:05 AM
link   
There are alot of scientists out there that truely believe that complex carbohydrates are the source of many of our health problems. Five thousand years ago when most modern men switched from a hunter-gatherer lifestyle to a herder-farmer lifestyle, our natural diets changed dramatically.

Are old diet consisted of a very large amount of roots and vegatables, supplemented with occasional amounts of protein in the form of meat, eggs and fish, and small amounts of seasonal fruits and berries.

Modern man now cultivates grain and herds animals for meat and milk. Our protein intake (meat) is way more than nature intended. Our intake of fatty foods (milks and cheeses) are way higher than normal. But our carb intakes are astronomical. We eat bread, potatoes, corn and rice is vast amounts that nature never intended. Let's not forget beer!

Look at the way the Japanese eat. They still eat (due to geographic and cultural isolation) the way nature intended us to eat.

If you wanna loose weight and live a healthy life, ditch the carbs, cut back a bit on meats and cheese, and double or triple your veggie input.

and...water, water, water, water! Most Americans are chronically dehydrated.

posted on Jul, 7 2003 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Eat whatever it is you're already eating. If you try to cut down your diet more, you'll have more cravings than before. However, drink lots and lots of water. It'll start breaking down the fats in your body and flushing them out. If you don't want to step up your exercise routine, try changing it. Have you talked to any personal trainers yet?

posted on Jul, 8 2003 @ 11:22 AM
link   
I'm not surprised that many overweight people fail to lose weight & keep it off in a healthy way. They are often encouraged to start with very strenuous exercise right off the bat & cut calories.

This is very stupid. It doesn't make sense & almost always fails.

This is my homemade plan that I use to help overweight people get back in shape. No. I am not a personal trainer.

1. Start them off on walks. A convenient place where you won't be too self conscious, the temperature is always ideal, there is easy access to sitting area & washrooms is the mall.

2. I let the person be a judge of how much walking they can do. And I definitely make them stop if it's obvious they are over exerting themselves.

3. I don't usually suggest any drastic change in diet. Just add more good stuff like veggies & fruit.

4. Graduate to outdoor walking.

5. Stay at level 4. or graduate to hiking & jogging.

Those are my recommended basics.

posted on Jul, 8 2003 @ 12:30 PM
link   
ever heard of herbalife?

Worked great for me and a couple of close relative.
I've never felt better with my body and never been so motivated when I work out or simply pratice sport.
Also, my energy level have never been this high.

There's official resseller all around the world (52 country if I remember right) so if you are really willing and have a bit of money to give for that, you might give it a try.

posted on Jul, 11 2003 @ 02:18 AM
link   
Ever tried "Green Tea"? It has been used by the Chinese for centuries and helps your body in many ways. Here is a short list of what makes green tea so special :

* Weight Loss
* Slows Down Aging
* Helps you live longer ( the oldest man on earth claimed to drink it. *150* )
* normalizes your immune system
* Prevents cancer
* Prevents/Helps Reduce rheumatoid arthritis
* Lowers high cholesterol levels
* Cardiovascular disease ( also keeps the heart in fine condition )

BTW Green Tea + Hiking/Walking/Running = Long Term Fitness Goal and a Great Body

posted on Jul, 25 2003 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Beast4rmDaEast

hey Beast, how's your progress getting the 300? I did it this past Monday. Feels great to have achieved that goal. Six months ago, I would have never thought it possible and now, I'm aiming for 350 by December.

posted on Jul, 26 2003 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Almost forgot about this topic. Congrats on your goal, I have also accomplished mine its behind me now ( 305!
). I am training like a mad man for 400 pounds! I may stop when I reach 400 because I don't want to damage my joints when I get old and suffer from joint pain like some people.

[Edited on 7/27/2003 by Beast4rmDaEast]

posted on Jul, 27 2003 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Go for it dude! As for me, I'll turn 35 right around the time I should be pushing up 350 and thats makes me closer to that day when joints ache than you so I'll prolly call it with 350.

posted on Dec, 18 2004 @ 02:28 PM
link   
[edit on 18-12-2004 by Hoppinmad1]

posted on Dec, 20 2004 @ 12:38 AM
link   
A few things. First, make sure your eating enough (at least your BMR) and second, stop trying to loose weight and focus on healthy choices. That can make a difference.
(calcium)

(post by sumitraj removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Apr, 23 2015 @ 02:49 PM
link   
At it's simplest, weight loss comes down to calories in/calories out. There are all kinds of ways to complicate it after that.

Basically you need to burn more calories in a day than you consume. You can do that by just cutting back on what you eat. If you want to loose weight faster and be more healthy, getting exercise helps.

I go to a gym, but you can just go for walks/hikes. I like to lift weights so that's why I hit the gym. I guess I could lift rocks or something in my yard..LOL

Drink a lot of water too, it's always good to drink more water.

I'd say in the past 2-3 months I've dropped my body fat from around 20% to 16.5% and put on about 8lbs of muscle. Muscle burns fat, so the more muscle you build, the more calories you burn in a day.
edit on 23-4-2015 by MystikMushroom because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2015 @ 01:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Slaviik
Actually, losing weight is not an easy thing, it is hard to lose weight by just doing exercises or being on a diet. In my opinion, you can use some auxiliaries, i know a substance called bioactive peptide, which is very useful to lose weight, and it is very safe. It's the most efficent diet pill so far. If you want to know more about it, you can visit: www.creative-peptides.com.... Hope this useful!

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join