It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Early Bee Gees An Appreciation.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2017 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Many will probably remember the Bee Gees for their Disco era music of the late 70's

However for them it began in the mid 60's. They emigrated to Australia from Britain with their parents in the late 1950's. After 8 years, the brothers and two band members returned to Britain.

I would like to share their music of that period with those who are not familiar with it. So he goes with a few examples. Hope you enjoy.

edit on 23-12-2017 by alldaylong because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2017 @ 01:27 PM
link   
You forgot to add the main ingredient.

The BeeGees.

Good you've fixed that, now i won't look like a weirdo that can't read.
edit on 23-12-2017 by RumLover because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2017 @ 01:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: RumLover

The BeeGees.

Hmm. I thought it was ACDC.

I'm sure he'll edit in a minute.

posted on Dec, 23 2017 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Not a fan but really like:

I even paused Elton John to listen to this.

posted on Dec, 23 2017 @ 01:54 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

Thanks for the contribution.

The Bee Gees wrote some fantastic music, many of which they passed onto others.

Here are a couple of examples

posted on Dec, 23 2017 @ 02:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid

originally posted by: RumLover

The BeeGees.

Hmm. I thought it was ACDC.

I'm sure he'll edit in a minute.

Glad the edit worked, i didn't really want to post the BeeGees.

posted on Dec, 23 2017 @ 02:59 PM
link   
I always had a soft spot for this song (b-side of "I Started A Joke"), "Kilburn Towers".
www.youtube.com...

posted on Dec, 23 2017 @ 03:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: HighRising
I always had a soft spot for this song (b-side of "I Started A Joke"), "Kilburn Towers".
www.youtube.com...

Good choices on both tracks.

Some people look at the Bee Gees as being a bit naff.

Robin Gibb however had what i regards as one of the greatest vocal voices in popular music.

posted on Dec, 23 2017 @ 03:26 PM
link   
I agree. I think some of their best stuff was criminally underrated.

posted on Dec, 23 2017 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Too much heaven.....
edit on 23-12-2017 by Plotus because: you know it

posted on Dec, 23 2017 @ 04:29 PM
link   
a reply to: alldaylong

It's kind of sad to see how they became more popular when they went from that style to disco.

posted on Dec, 23 2017 @ 04:54 PM
link   
As a footnote, Maurice Gibb was once married to this lady.

posted on Dec, 23 2017 @ 05:03 PM
link   
A LOT of the early Bee Gees stuff is pretty amazing. My first exposure to them was not long before SNF came out. At that time, I was into blues, Clapton, Nugent, Sabbath, Zeppelin, Priest, Kiss (hey, I was 11, ok?), Hendrix, early ACDC, and of course Rush, who pretty much changed my life, haha.

Great songwriting, especially Barry, but to me, it was all about the harmony. Their harmony style hit you like a ton of bricks. Not at all complicated parts, but despite leaning towards heavier stuff, I'm SUCH a sucker for a good hook, and their early stuff is FILLED with them.

At the time, I had never heard falsetto used as a major tool on a lead vocal part like they used it.

And Robin's voice is really, really unusual. Especially the way he used that constant "machine gun" vibrato. I don't think I've ever heard him sing a lead solo part without constant vibrato. Over the years, especially in Pop, Blues, and Soul, the use of vocal vibrato has slowly changed, and now it's pretty much an art unto itself, which is not such a bad thing, I suppose.
edit on 23-12-2017 by MteWamp because: blues, not bluse.

edit on 23-12-2017 by MteWamp because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2017 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Don’t forget these...

posted on Dec, 23 2017 @ 07:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: alldaylong

Some people look at the Bee Gees as being a bit naff.

Robin Gibb however had what i regards as one of the greatest vocal voices in popular music.

Agreed,
The BeeGees were always rated highly amongst musicians in general for the vocals and the material and the work input, and were able to re-invent themselves with the disco era enough to stay 'popular' in which was a pretty corporate artificial time in many cases while there was some really good material to come out of that..thanks more to the musicians than anything else.
I'm glad you stuck in the Marbles experiment, and the two great tracks (the other one being , "By the light of a burning candle") with Bonnet's voice and the harmonies especially BTW, I was going to stick them in earlier on when you first posted, but we had visitors.

Nice one!

The, 'Burning candle' track, a 'B' side to me it was more of an explorative track, somewhat flawed in the heavy showbandy overlays at the start and later, but the Chorus is great in the harmony, flow and certainly could have been moulded better overall to become an 'A' side, too much too quick maybe...anyway,

edit on 23-12-2017 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Dec, 23 2017 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Funny, I was only watching this stuff last night.

How about some early stuff.....

enjoy

posted on Dec, 23 2017 @ 07:35 PM
link   
a reply to: smurfy

Yeah, Graham Bonnet lived in Australia for a while too, in the late 80s 90s. I think he married a local lass, back in the UK or USA now. Did enjoy his late 70s hits Warm Ride and Baby Blue.

The Bee Gees were a bigger influence on music than most people realise, an dat aint no Jive Talkin!

top topics

join