It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My Favorite Thing is Monsters....if you are a graphic novel fan this is a MUST

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2017 @ 06:33 AM
link   
my wife and i just picked this up and it is AMAZING. the illustrations are fantastic.

i can not stress enough how bad ass this book is.

www.amazon.com...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1514032008&sr=8-1&keywords=my+favorite+thing+is+monste rs

Set against the tumultuous political backdrop of late ’60s Chicago, My Favorite Thing Is Monsters is the fictional graphic diary of 10-year-old Karen Reyes, filled with B-movie horror and pulp monster magazines iconography. Karen Reyes tries to solve the murder of her enigmatic upstairs neighbor, Anka Silverberg, a holocaust survivor, while the interconnected stories of those around her unfold. When Karen’s investigation takes us back to Anka’s life in Nazi Germany, the reader discovers how the personal, the political, the past, and the present converge. Full-color illustrations throughout.

this is Emil Ferris's first book and she knocked it out of the park. the illustrations are some of the best i have ever seen. she drew it all with a ball point pen.

www.google.com... favorite+thing+is+&gs_l=img.1.0.0l10.372.6659.0.8693.21.14.0.7.7.0.140.1404.8j6.14.0....0...1ac.1.64.img..0.21.1456....0.yNCGMB3l00A

^^^^^look at some of those illustrations.

this lady got west nile when she was 40 and was paralyzed from the waist down and lost movement in her right hand. as she was getting it back she started on this.
there is nothing else like this book man

trust me
edit on 23-12-2017 by TinySickTears because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2017 @ 10:29 AM
link   
I love me some monsters! I'm a pretty big reader so I'll check it out. Last week I watched Dracula (Bela Lugosi) and Frankenstein (Boris Karloff) back to back on Amazon Prime.
I watch all the terrible but sometimes great Netflix horror movies in my down time too.
The best one I have found are mostly subtitled. Go figure, it's a trip watching another culture do horror right.
"Baskin" Turkey, and "A Girl Walks Alone at Night" Iran were my favs.

posted on Dec, 23 2017 @ 10:42 AM
link   
a reply to: TexasTruth

im telling you its great.
i was reading some more and it was one of entertainment magazines 10 best of the year and sony pictures bought the rights. i think volume 2 is in the works.

amazing piece of work

posted on Dec, 23 2017 @ 10:53 AM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

Thanks for the heads up, looks great. A couple times a year I regress to my younger days and splurge on some comics and graphic novels. While X-mas shopping I picked myself up the remastered and newly colored "Killing Joke" by Alan Moore and Brian Bolland. It's soooo great.

posted on Dec, 23 2017 @ 12:17 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

you should check out the mainfest destiny comics ,its the lewis and clarke exploration as happened in real history but they got sent on a secret mission to find "monsters" dont wanna go into to much detail but so far its frigging amazing they are up to 33 issues i think if you like monsters you will like it

new topics

top topics

join