It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How do Bible believers reconcile the book of Ecclesiastes with being an optimistic person?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2017 @ 01:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: antiantonym

I was once a Bible believer. I remember thinking that life on Earth was like what the book of Ecclesiastes described, but Jesus gave me the ability to rise above it.

Jesus never said that life on earth would be better than that described in Ecclesiastes.

Jesus promised a life in "heaven", a different place altogether. The Bible is still 100% accurate.

It is, what it is.

Now that I no longer believe in Jesus, I believe spirituality gives me the ability to rise above it. I believe in floating above the harsh realities of life spiritually while still dealing with things as they are.

As long as you have a body of flesh and blood, you suffer the pains of man. You can't rise above it. You can only colsole yourself, that as the book of Ecclesiastes says, nothing is permanent here on earth.

So, whatever your troubles, this too will pass.

posted on Dec, 23 2017 @ 03:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Woodcarver
...I never hold back. I always say what i want...

exactly you have no filter, you dont see what a problem that can be? to exercise zero self control over what thoughts you allow to pass your lips, some things are better off unsaid, a wisdom you clearly lack.

posted on Dec, 23 2017 @ 09:54 PM
link   
a reply to: antiantonym

Now that I no longer believe in Jesus, I believe spirituality gives me the ability to rise above it. I believe in floating above the harsh realities of life spiritually while still dealing with things as they are.

What has Ecclesiastes to do with Jesus? You say that you no longer believe in Jesus and infer that belief in Jesus was the reason. Why is that? I really don't understand what you are implying here at all. If the OT is the reason then you should not try to connect the OT with the NT without a good biblical education.

What is it that you want to rise above? Death is eventually the only purpose in life and Jesus offers you that way to rise above death and live forever. Are you saying that you have found another path for eternity? Maybe its too simple for you?

posted on Dec, 23 2017 @ 10:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Seede

What has Ecclesiastes to do with Jesus? You say that you no longer believe in Jesus and infer that belief in Jesus was the reason. Why is that? I really don't understand what you are implying here at all. If the OT is the reason then you should not try to connect the OT with the NT without a good biblical education.

What is it that you want to rise above? Death is eventually the only purpose in life and Jesus offers you that way to rise above death and live forever. Are you saying that you have found another path for eternity? Maybe its too simple for you?

I'm not going to answer your theological or personal questions because I see them as irrelevant to this discussion. I no longer have any faith that anything in the Bible is true, and my past has no bearing on anything in this thread in my view.

I would like your opinion on the first video emedded below. I know it's long, but the first five minutes gives you the main idea. The main idea is that understanding Ecclesiastes is the key to being happy.

I'm in the middle of watching the entire video series on YouTube where this pastor teaches Ecclesiastes. I used to study with him years ago, and I probably picked some of my beliefs about Ecclesiastes from him. He does link the Old Testament to the New Testament in terms of his teachings of Ecclesiastes.

It also just so happens that the way he described the importance of spiruality is exactly how I still see things. Interestingly, his explanation about spirituality seems to be a perfect fit with Jim Carrey's teachings on the subject, and that is something I've been looking into recently. This thread caused me to see a link between the philosophies.

www.youtube.com...

Here's Jim Carrey giving what I think is a similar basic message. I'm still thinking about it.

www.youtube.com...
edit on 23-12-2017 by antiantonym because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2017 @ 10:29 AM
link   

TextI'm not going to answer your theological or personal questions because I see them as irrelevant to this discussion. I no longer have any faith that anything in the Bible is true, and my past has no bearing on anything in this thread in my view. I would like your opinion on the first video emedded below. I know it's long, but the first five minutes gives you the main idea. The main idea is that understanding Ecclesiastes is the key to being happy.

I did watch over 6 minutes of the first film and a few minutes of the second film. I tried to understand where you are coming from and am still in the dark. You say that you no longer believe anything in the bible.

Ouote "I no longer have any faith that anything in the Bible is true, and my past has no bearing on anything in this thread in my view." Unquote -- Yet, you then quote the first chapter of Ecclesiastes and present a man referencing the New Testament of the bible that you say you no longer have any faith in. I find that not only double minded but very confusing to say the least.

If you find that you have no faith that anything in the bible is true then why would you present references of Ecclesiastes and a christian film? The book of Ecclesiastes is of the covenant of the Hebrew Jews and has nothing to do with the covenant of Jesus the Christ of The Most High. King David was not privy to Jesus and was not a teacher of salvation. He was a sinner who perished in the flesh and faced judgment of his spirit the very same as all men perish and face judgment of their spirit. He rose above most all men of that time only by the perfect will of The Most High El and not by anything that he was worthy of. His was by the purpose of God and not of his own strength. He is not a pattern for those who know God through Jesus the only Christ given to men.

You also insist that you will not comment on things that are theological and yet you can't understand that Ecclesiastes is altogether theological. In fact all of both the Hebrew and Greek scriptures are theological with much evidence but no proof. You cannot rise above that which does not exist. First you must consider that which can exist but is not proven. That is faith. You are trying to understand by your own intellect and have divorced yourself from the Holy Spirit which is the true teacher of the Most High EL. You have become as a god to your own soul and that cannot bring peace or truth to your understanding.

posted on Dec, 24 2017 @ 11:57 AM
link   

The reading is much different in the AV the preserved word of God for English speaking people today. Notice the first move is to replace Preacher with teacher. While a preacher can be a teacher, a teacher is not a preacher, the two are not the same. that is the beginning of the mess the NIV has created in its four different versions of the NIV.

See if you can see the craftiness of these Bible perverters by comparing the two side by side. First, I suggest that you first write down all the words missing from the original complete and preserved word of God in the AV, then compare how much they added without telling you what they added and what they took away. The AV was kind enough to the reader to Italicize all words added tot he English text so that it flowed easily in the English grammar and reading.

Ec 1:1 ¶ The words of the Preacher, the son of David, king in Jerusalem.
2 Vanity of vanities, saith the Preacher, vanity of vanities; all is vanity.
3 What profit hath a man of all his labour which he taketh under the sun?
4 One generation passeth away, and another generation cometh: but the earth abideth for ever.
5 The sun also ariseth, and the sun goeth down, and hasteth to his place where he arose.
6 The wind goeth toward the south, and turneth about unto the north; it whirleth about continually, and the wind returneth again according to his circuits.
7 All the rivers run into the sea; yet the sea is not full; unto the place from whence the rivers come, thither they return again.
8 All things are full of labour; man cannot utter it: the eye is not satisfied with seeing, nor the ear filled with hearing.
9 ¶ The thing that hath been, it is that which shall be; and that which is done is that which shall be done: and there is no new thing under the sun.
10 Is there any thing whereof it may be said, See, this is new? it hath been already of old time, which was before us.
11 There is no remembrance of former things; neither shall there be any remembrance of things that are to come with those that shall come after.
12 ¶ I the Preacher was king over Israel in Jerusalem.
13 And I gave my heart to seek and search out by wisdom concerning all things that are done under heaven: this sore travail hath God given to the sons of man to be exercised therewith.
14 I have seen all the works that are done under the sun; and, behold, all is vanity and vexation of spirit.
15 That which is crooked cannot be made straight: and that which is wanting cannot be numbered.
16 I communed with mine own heart, saying, Lo, I am come to great estate, and have gotten more wisdom than all they that have been before me in Jerusalem: yea, my heart had great experience of wisdom and knowledge.
17 And I gave my heart to know wisdom, and to know madness and folly: I perceived that this also is vexation of spirit.
18 For in much wisdom is[/1] much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow.

2Ti 2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

If you are not a Bible believer I suggest you don't try and tutor anyone in the Bible. He who denies Christ in this World (you have) will be denied by Jesus to the holy angels. Luke 12:9
edit on 24-12-2017 by ChesterJohn because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2017 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Having pointed the first chapter out of the NIV being erroneous it should always remember Solomon, who wrote this book, was not fully obedient to the Law of God, and that he is simply a man trying to prove the world through worldly wisdom.

Jesus is the wisdom of God, that all who would believe on him as carrying their personal sin debt in himself on the cross.

What we need to know is that Christmas is about Jesus Coming is God in the flesh, in the median of time and was born of man, so that no man could say that God could not understand the life of a man.

Merry Christmas ATS and Friends.

edit on 24-12-2017 by ChesterJohn because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2017 @ 08:12 PM
link   
a reply to: ChesterJohn

Merry Christmas ATS and Friends.

Merry Christmas to you also Chester and may the new years always bring a blessing to you. You are indeed a warrior.

posted on Dec, 26 2017 @ 03:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Seede

we got a blessing $6,500 off the cost of our house from the loan holder. We were very blessed already and the new year hasn't even started.

posted on Dec, 26 2017 @ 07:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: AMPTAH
Jesus promised a life in "heaven", a different place altogether. The Bible is still 100% accurate.

It is, what it is.

He did, however, he also promised some people will "inherit the earth". Matthew 5:5:

“Happy are the mild-tempered,* [Or “meek.”] since they will inherit the earth.

Which nicely matches Psalm 37:11,29:

11 But the meek will possess the earth,

And they will find exquisite delight in the abundance of peace.
29 The righteous will possess the earth,

And they will live forever on it.

Details regarding the above (you may want to watch the first 3 parts regarding the subject in the title of the video below, but some details regarding the subject above are mentioned starting at 4:17 for some important background information and more specifically at 5:08):

edit on 26-12-2017 by whereislogic because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2017 @ 08:13 AM
link   
a reply to: whereislogic

Why is it that you can't be kind for kinds sake, it always has to be about your own personal religion, your JWism
Just try to be a person, not a fundamentalist for your faith.
It comes across pretty poorly

posted on Dec, 26 2017 @ 08:25 AM
link   
Ecclesiastes: Insight, Volume 1

The Hebrew name Qo·heʹleth (meaning “Congregator; Assembler; Convener; Convoker”) fittingly describes the role of the king in the theocratic government that Israel enjoyed. (Ec 1:1, 12) It was the responsibility of the ruler to hold the dedicated people of God together in faithfulness to their true King and God. (1Ki 8:1-5, 41-43, 66) For that reason, whether a king was good or bad for the nation was determined by whether he led the nation in the worship of Jehovah or not. (2Ki 16:1-4; 18:1-6) The congregator, who was Solomon, had already done much congregating of Israel and their companions, the temporary residents, to the temple. In this book he sought to congregate God’s people away from the vain and fruitless works of this world to the works worthy of the God to whom they as a nation were dedicated. The name used in our English Bibles is taken from the translation of Qo·heʹleth in the Greek Septuagint, namely, Ek·kle·si·a·stesʹ (Ecclesiastes), meaning “a member of an ecclesia (congregation; assembly).”

Writer. There was only one “son of David,” namely, Solomon, who was “king over Israel in Jerusalem” (Ec 1:1, 12), for kings after Solomon did not reign over all Israel. Solomon was the king so well known for his surpassing wisdom. (Ec 1:16; 1Ki 4:29-34) He was a builder. (Ec 2:4-6; 1Ki 6:1; 7:1-8) ... Since the book mentions the building program of Solomon, it must have been written after that time but before he “began to do what was bad in the eyes of Jehovah.” (1Ki 11:6)
Authenticity. Qo·heʹleth, or Ecclesiastes, is accepted as canonical by both the Jewish and the Christian churches. It is in agreement with other portions of the Bible that treat the same subjects. For example, it agrees with Genesis on man’s being made up of a body composed of the dust of the ground and having the spirit or life-force from God and the breath that sustains it. (Ec 3:20, 21; 12:7; Ge 2:7; 7:22; Isa 42:5) It affirms the Bible teaching that man was created upright but willfully chose to disobey God. (Ec 7:29; Ge 1:31; 3:17; De 32:4, 5) It acknowledges God as the Creator. (Ec 12:1; Ge 1:1) It concurs with the rest of the Bible as to the state of the dead. (Ec 9:5, 10; Ge 3:19; Ps 6:5; 115:17; Joh 11:11-14; Ro 6:23) It strongly advocates the worship and the fear of God. It uses the expression ha·ʼElo·himʹ, “the true God,” 32 times. The equivalent for the name Jehovah is found in the Syriac Pe#ta and Jewish Targum of the book at Ecclesiastes 2:24. While some claim that the book contradicts itself, this is only because they do not see that the book many times sets forth the common view as opposed to the view that reflects divine wisdom. (Compare Ec 1:18; 7:11, 12.) So one must read with a view to getting the sense and must keep in mind the theme of the book.

HIGHLIGHTS OF ECCLESIASTES

A vivid description of works that are vain and those that are worth while

Written by Solomon in the latter part of his kingship, after he had engaged in the numerous pursuits that he describes

A life devoted to vain pursuits is empty

To a natural man all is vanity; one generation is replaced by another, and even natural cycles are repetitious and wearisome (1:1-11)

Increased human wisdom can result in increased pain; what is crooked in this system cannot be made straight (1:12-18)

Devoting oneself to pleasure-seeking through materialism is like striving after the wind (2:1-11, 26)

Things that are worth while and that give meaning to one’s life

Enjoy the fruits of your work, recognizing these as a gift from God (2:24, 25; 5:18-20)

The works of God are all pretty; before mankind he has set the prospect of life to time indefinite (3:10-13)
Proper fear of God should move us to listen carefully to what he requires of us and to fulfill any vow we make to him (5:1-7)
The righteous ones and the wise ones are in the hand of the true God—they will not lose their reward; but in death a person knows nothing and can do nothing, so use your life now in a manner that God will approve; enjoy it in wholesome ways while you have it (9:1, 4-12)
The most beneficial writings are those that reflect the wisdom of the “one shepherd,” Jehovah God (12:9-12)

Fear the true God and keep his commandments; he sees everything that we do, and he will bring our works into judgment (12:13, 14)

Ecclesiastes 12:12-14 (the ending)

12 As for anything besides these, my son, be warned: To the making of many books there is no end, and much devotion to them is wearisome to the flesh.

13 The conclusion of the matter, everything having been heard, is: Fear the true God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole obligation of man. 14 For the true God will judge every deed, including every hidden thing, as to whether it is good or bad.

posted on Dec, 26 2017 @ 08:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Raggedyman
I don't see what's so unkind about quoting what Jesus said and taught to someone who shows an interest in what Jesus said and taught or is just talking about it. Or quoting from the rest of the bible that Jesus himself often quoted from as he quoted from the Hebrew Scriptures to show that what he was teaching was what he was taught by his Father and consistent with the Hebrew Scriptures (a.k.a. the OT).

John 8:

25 So they began to say to him: “Who are you?” Jesus replied to them: “Why am I even speaking to you at all? 26 I have many things to speak concerning you and to pass judgment on. As a matter of fact, the One who sent me is true, and the very things I heard from him I am speaking in the world.” 27 They did not grasp that he was talking to them about the Father. 28 Jesus then said: “After you have lifted up the Son of man, then you will know that I am he and that I do nothing of my own initiative; but just as the Father taught me, I speak these things.
42 Jesus said to them: “If God were your Father, you would love me, for I came from God and I am here. I have not come of my own initiative, but that One sent me. 43 Why do you not understand what I am saying? Because you cannot listen to my word. 44 You are from your father the Devil, and you wish to do the desires of your father. That one was a murderer when he began, and he did not stand fast in the truth, because truth is not in him. When he speaks the lie, he speaks according to his own disposition, because he is a liar and the father of the lie. 45 Because I, on the other hand, tell you the truth, you do not believe me. 46 Who of you convicts me of sin? If I speak truth, why is it that you do not believe me? 47 The one who is from God listens to the sayings of God. This is why you do not listen, because you are not from God.”

posted on Dec, 26 2017 @ 06:29 PM
link   

You and I have butted heads before, but never the less, I have to agree to how you have called him out for his JW'ism this is what it has done to him. Maybe we should just be kind as you had in your post, however from what I have learned about them over the years is they are incapable of being kind to anyone who is not of their group.

The way to tell a cult is that you can only be saved by their teachings, their interpretation, their works, their extra-biblical books and their overwhelming pride.

He will claim he is only quoting Jesus, or his apostles, and Bible but in the end he is only doing such to promote his Organizations heretical teachings, and that is all he has.

edit on 26-12-2017 by ChesterJohn because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2017 @ 09:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: ChesterJohn
Maybe we should just be kind as you had in your post, however from what I have learned about them over the years is they are incapable of being kind to anyone who is not of their group.

Slanderous paintjobs aren't nice or kind. Neither are propagandistic generalizations. Giving people details about how propaganda works however, could benefit them greatly, therefore, that's being kind to people (as is teaching from the bible in general or regarding other topics, what's described at 2 Timothy 4:3,4 as "beneficial teaching" or "wholesome teaching"). Much better than just accusing and condemning an entire group of people for telling people about "the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ" (Eph.1:3), whose name is Jehovah; or for merely quoting something that Jesus taught that is consistent with the Hebrew Scriptures or something that Jehovah taught to the Israelites through the Hebrew Scriptures a.k.a. the OT.

Making Generalizations

Another very successful tactic of propaganda is generalization. Generalizations tend to obscure important facts about the real issues in question, and they are frequently used to demean entire groups of people. “Gypsies [or immigrants] are thieves” is, for instance, a phrase frequently heard in some European countries. But is that true?
Name-Calling [a synonym for "sect" is "cult"]

Some people insult those who disagree with them by questioning character or motives instead of focusing on the facts. Name-calling slaps a negative, easy-to-remember label onto a person, a group, or an idea. The name-caller hopes that the label will stick. If people reject the person or the idea on the basis of the negative label instead of weighing the evidence for themselves, the name-caller’s strategy has worked.

For example, in recent years a powerful antisect sentiment has swept many countries in Europe and elsewhere. This trend has stirred emotions, created the image of an enemy, and reinforced existing prejudices against religious minorities. Often, “sect” becomes a catchword. “‘Sect’ is another word for ‘heretic,’” wrote German Professor Martin Kriele in 1993, “and a heretic today in Germany, as in former times, is [condemned to extermination]—if not by fire . . . , then by character assassination, isolation and economic destruction.”

The Institute for Propaganda Analysis notes that “bad names have played a tremendously powerful role in the history of the world and in our own individual development. They have ruined reputations, . . . sent [people] to prison cells, and made men mad enough to enter battle and slaughter their fellowmen.”

Playing on the Emotions

Even though feelings might be irrelevant when it comes to factual claims or the logic of an argument, they play a crucial role in persuasion. Emotional appeals are fabricated by practiced publicists, who play on feelings as skillfully as a virtuoso plays the piano.
Hatred is a strong emotion exploited by propagandists. Loaded language is particularly effective in triggering it. There seems to be a nearly endless supply of nasty words that promote and exploit hatred toward particular racial, ethnic, or religious groups.

Source: The Manipulation of Information: Awake!—2000

One doesn't always have to spell out the label either to question "character or motives instead of focusing on the facts". It would be much kinder when responding to my comments or when talking about them to focus on the facts and actually respond to something in the comment and not regarding my character or motives or promoting and exploiting hatred towards an entire religious group while boasting about being so much kinder (or holier, more righteous) in comparison (Isaiah 5:20,21: "... those who say that good is bad and bad is good...Those who put bitter for sweet and sweet for bitter! ..."). I'll just keep on quoting the bible and talking about bible teachings.

2 Cor.11:11-15

For what reason? Because I do not love you? God knows I do.

12 But what I am doing I will continue to do, in order to eliminate the pretext of those who are wanting a basis for being found equal to us in the things about which they boast. 13 For such men are false apostles, deceitful workers, disguising themselves as apostles of Christ. 14 And no wonder, for Satan himself keeps disguising himself as an angel of light. 15 It is therefore nothing extraordinary if his ministers also keep disguising themselves as ministers of righteousness. But their end will be according to their works.

There is indeed "nothing new under the sun" (Eccl.1:9). Jeremiah 23:27,28:

27 They intend to make my people forget my name by the dreams they relate to one another, just as their fathers forgot my name because of Baʹal. 28 Let the prophet who has a dream relate the dream, but the one who has my word should speak my word truthfully.”

“What does the straw have in common with the grain?” declares Jehovah.

Matthew 15:7-9

You hypocrites, Isaiah aptly prophesied about you when he said: 8 ‘This people honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far removed from me. 9 It is in vain that they keep worshipping me, for they teach commands of men as doctrines.’”

Isaiah 29:13

Jehovah says: “This people approaches me with their mouth

And they honor me with their lips,

But their heart is far removed from me;

And their fear of me is based on commands of men that they have been taught.

Acts 7:51

51 “Obstinate men and uncircumcised in hearts and ears, you are always resisting the holy spirit; as your forefathers did, so you do.

Luke 6:39-46

39 Then he also told them an illustration: “A blind man cannot guide a blind man, can he? Both will fall into a pit,* [Or “ditch.”] will they not? 40 A student* [Or “disciple.”] is not above his teacher, but everyone who is perfectly instructed will be like his teacher. 41 Why, then, do you look at the straw in your brother’s eye but do not notice the rafter in your own eye? 42 How can you say to your brother, ‘Brother, allow me to remove the straw that is in your eye,’ while you yourself do not see the rafter in your own eye? Hypocrite! First remove the rafter from your own eye, and then you will see clearly how to remove the straw that is in your brother’s eye.

43 “For no fine tree produces rotten fruit, and no rotten tree produces fine fruit. 44 For each tree is known by its own fruit. For example, people do not gather figs from thorns, nor do they cut grapes off a thornbush. 45 A good man brings good out of the good treasure of his heart, but a wicked man brings what is wicked out of his wicked treasure; for out of the heart’s abundance his mouth speaks.

46 “Why, then, do you call me ‘Lord! Lord!’ but do not do the things I say?

Matthew 22:37

He said to him: “‘You must love Jehovah your God with your whole heart and with your whole soul and with your whole mind.’ 38 This is the greatest and first commandment.

Deuteronomy 6:5

You must love Jehovah your God with all your heart and all your soul and all your strength.* [Or “vital force; resources.”]

Matthew 4:10

Then Jesus said to him: “Go away, Satan! For it is written: ‘It is Jehovah your God you must worship, and it is to him alone you must render sacred service.’”

posted on Dec, 26 2017 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Yes thanks
I am in sales, also a Christian but, I can have normal conversations and post replies without referencing what and who I am in every comment
My beliefs are not my only identity, not my every word, every comment

Be nice just to be capable of a normal conversation instead of the constant sales pitch we get
I would hate to lose my identity to a church

posted on Dec, 26 2017 @ 10:54 PM
link   
1 John 5:2,3

By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God and carry out his commandments. 3 For this is what the love of God means, that we observe his commandments; and yet his commandments are not burdensome,

Romans 8:14

For all who are led by God’s spirit are indeed God’s sons.

Romans 8:16

The spirit itself bears witness with our spirit that we are God’s children.

2 Corinthians 6:18

“‘And I will become a father to you, and you will become sons and daughters to me,’ says Jehovah, the Almighty.”

1 John 3:1

See what sort of love the Father has given us, that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are. That is why the world does not know us, because it has not come to know him.

Song 1 Jehovah's Attributes (vocals)

posted on Dec, 27 2017 @ 11:25 AM
link   
a reply to: whereislogic

All of the verses you quoted are out of their immediate, Historical and spiritual context and used by you, a man to hurt, making yourself god (the Judge) in The Lord God Almighty's place. To remove (from the context) or add (your private interpretation) to God's words as you have means you are under a tri-fold curse found in Duet, Psalms and Revelation. Repent and turn to God via his Son Jesus Christ, JEHOVAH in the flesh, the only True judge of men, or stand before him in shame while being judged and executed in Eternal Fires of Hell with all the plagues of the Bible upon you as the smoke of your torment rises forever and ever before God.

edit on 27-12-2017 by ChesterJohn because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2017 @ 11:33 AM
link   
originally posted by: whereislogic

Slanderous paintjobs aren't nice or kind. Neither are propagandistic generalizations.
See the mouth/mind this deviant has, oh my he is a devil in disguise. I guess whereisthelogic you can't be saved you have already given yourself over to Satan.

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 07:02 PM
link   

I was once a Bible believer. I remember thinking that life on Earth was like what the book of Ecclesiastes described, but Jesus gave me the ability to rise above it.

Life on earth is exactly how Solomon described here when you live the way Solomon did. Read the verses you posted. The answer is right there in verse 13 to the end of the chapter, including the first three verses of chapter 2.

Solomon gave himself over to his flesh and lived a pleasure filled and lust filled life. Its right there in the verses:

Ecclesiastes 2:1 I said in mine heart, Go to now, I will prove thee with mirth,therefore enjoy pleasure: and, behold, this also is vanity.
2 I said of laughter, It is mad: and of mirth, What doeth it?
3 I sought in mine heart to give myself unto wine, yet acquainting mine heart with wisdom; and to lay hold on folly, till I might see what was that good for the sons of men, which they should do under the heaven all the days of their life.

"Believing in Jesus" means you are suppose to follow Him in self denial. Which means you live a life of sacrifice. you don't enjoy the flesh, you deny your flesh. Solomon did the opposite of this and the book he wrote shows the fruit of his life. It was miserable. Want to have a happy life filled with inner joy without the lies of "spirituality" you now follow? you must deny your self, and please God, not your flesh. This does not earn you salvation of course, it simply gives you inner peace and joy.

The book of Ecclesiastes is not suppose to be an optimistic book, it is exactly wrote the way it is meant, to be completely pessimistic and show that living for your flesh is Vanity and ends in sadness and death. Thank God this book is in the Bible, for it shows what happens if you live for all your natural urges and base instincts, as evolution encourages as well as the public school system.

edit on 1-1-2018 by MonarchofBooks1611 because: i can

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join