It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boeing Big Chill-ers

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 06:24 AM
link   
On subject now. I dont buy it. Boeing have very successfully been using the legacy galley chillers for many years on hundreds of 747's and to keep food cool for a great number more than the VC-25's carry. I dont know off the top of my head where those two galleys would be but suffice to say that the chillers which are usually mounted above the ceiling panels in the galleys should be more than adequate for the task. What's more why is it that in the last 4-5 years of their probable operational life are they suddenly not up to task? And the price is beyond ridiculous. I have replaced chiller units far more advanced than the 747's and I can tell you they were not even 6 figures in cost each. And that's in addition to having replaced 747 chillers as well as maintaining them. I would be surprised if each VC-25 carried much more than 5 chillers each, so that's 10 replaced at over $2.6 million a pop. I think Zaph is right, its just the manufacturer gouging money to make up for losses elsewhere with a willing accomplice in the USAF or Government aiding and abetting what amounts to theft.
edit on 4-1-2018 by thebozeian because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 08:13 PM
link   
a reply to: thebozeian

Oh but these are newly engineered chillers, not just off the shelf chillers. Apparently the old chillers just won't do!

Reading the contract, this new chiller is of such advanced technology that the need to build a prototype and I presume field test it to see if it meets the new specification.

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 08:18 PM
link   
a reply to: gariac

With that price I would have thought it would have been going into a F-35.

Just some more screwing of the US tax payer by the military industrial complex.

edit on 4-1-2018 by seasonal because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 11:59 PM
link   
Oddly enough, being an av nerd, I dont particularly care for flying. Mostly because I've either been a mech. or machinist for most of my working life.
You guys are scaring me with the hammer stories.
What are you? Hammer mechanics?

Thirty k for crimping tools?, what the ?
And I thought having several hundreds worth of crimpers in my box excessive.

posted on Jan, 5 2018 @ 12:26 AM
link   
a reply to: punkinworks10

Adding "aircraft certified" immediately adds at least 1000x the value to any tool. Didn't you know that?
edit on 1/5/2018 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2018 @ 01:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

Adding "aircraft certified" immediately adds at least 1000x the value to any tool. Didn't you know that?

For any of these tools to actually be worth the money, they would have to be calibrated periodically. Otherwise the tool could be damaged yet in theory certified.

posted on Jan, 5 2018 @ 02:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

Oh yah,
Anything with an association with areospace gets that premium multiplier.
But $30k for a crimper, COME ON.
A business associate landed a job for some sort of aero space part, its a pretty simple milled Alum. part and he is getting 20x what the part would be as a high end consumer item.

posted on Jan, 5 2018 @ 02:27 AM
link   
a reply to: gariac

We recently had a customer request that we have all tools in the shop certified and provide them with documentation of said certifications.
We rebuild 50 year old pump housings and make simple conveyor shafts and other odds and ends for them, and most of the time we are polishing a turd.
We said No

posted on Jan, 26 2018 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Well this finally made it to a mainstream website.

m.sfgate.com...

posted on Jan, 27 2018 @ 05:04 AM
link   
Things I know that get checked regularly...Micrometers,Vernier Calipers,Torque Wrenches,Rigging Slings,Rigging Chains,Gas Cylinders and other Pressure Vessels.Electrical testers,avionics testers and other assorted magic boxes..

posted on Jan, 28 2018 @ 06:07 AM
link   
This stupidity has hit the Australian media now. Saw a screen crawler today on the ABC 24 news channel mentioning the outrageous cost of Air Force One fridges.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join