It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

4 airmen injured in JSTARS accident

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2017 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Four airmen belonging to the 116th Air Control Wing in Georgia were injured in a ground accident involving an engine on an E-8C. All four were evaluated and released. The Air Force has declined to disclose the nature of the incident or any damage. Unconfirmed sources are saying the community is under a gag order, and aircraft at Robins are grounded, while other aircraft are still flying.

www.airforcetimes.com...

posted on Dec, 22 2017 @ 09:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Were you in the Air Force or still are?

posted on Dec, 22 2017 @ 09:22 PM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

No. I worked closely with the Air Force for many years, now I just have sources.

posted on Dec, 22 2017 @ 09:25 PM
link   

now I just have sources.

What is your favorite? Mine is ketchup.

Lol

P

posted on Dec, 22 2017 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Smoke and fumes during an engine run?

I am trying to think of other things, and that's all I can think of the next thought I had was an engine fire and someone used the Haylon bottle but that shouldn't ground the fleet.

Maybe a problem during a refuel with a part failure, and some folks took a jp-8 bath.

Interesting.

posted on Dec, 22 2017 @ 09:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

There are a couple people in one of my groups that are there at the base, but they can't say anything until they get the ok.

posted on Dec, 22 2017 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Makes sense, pretty unique and important platform, just curious trying to get my head back into it had a sit down with a superintendent today and talk with the chief next week and start back turning wrenches in January.

posted on Dec, 22 2017 @ 09:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

Lucky. I'm gonna try a few things later next year and try to get back on a ramp again.

posted on Dec, 22 2017 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Someone just said they had an engine fire IFE, and during the run an engine shelled out.

Uncontained engine failure.
edit on 12/23/2017 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2017 @ 05:07 AM
link   
Ouch...

posted on Dec, 27 2017 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Seems that engine really grenaded itself. This just turned up on Flight Global. Damage appears to be light and the radars weren't hit. It makes you wonder in light of the finally on B-52 re-engine, that maybe they should look at a similar effort again for whatever KC-135 family remain in service for the next few decades. A more modern engine with similar thrust and weight would also do wonders for this family in terms of operating costs and fuel burn.

posted on Dec, 27 2017 @ 10:27 PM
link   
a reply to: thebozeian

That explains why they grounded the fleet. I don't think I've ever seen one shell out that bad during an engine run. That's why the run pad is usually away from other aircraft.

posted on Dec, 27 2017 @ 10:32 PM
link   
Think I can count on one hand how many times I've seen an engine shell out, and for one to shell out that badly yeah I would have 5 fingers left on that hand.

Wow that sucks.

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 07:30 PM
link   
And about damn time! Are you thinking of civil or military?

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Both. I have many options around me from MRO/storage, to production.

My first choice is AMARG, possibly start on the wash rack to get my foot in the door.
edit on 12/28/2017 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Yes from what I am hearing there are plenty of jobs going in the industry in the US at the moment. Its one reason why our LAX operation has been faltering because as soon as they train someone up they are straight off to a better paying job. AMARG would be one of my top picks too.

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 07:47 PM
link   

I've got AMARG, Marana, Goodyear, the AH-64 line, and Luke all around the area that I live now. Get in at one of them, then work up to something fun.

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Lucky you! I have yet to get over to Marana or Victorville for an aircraft disposal. We have a few more 747's coming up for retirement soon so fingers crossed. Guys I know who have been just shake their heads in disbelief at the sight and size of those operations. Reputedly the guy who runs most of the metal scrapping operation affects the entire national scrap price when he chooses to dump a load of alloy on the market, its that big.

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Marana is huge. The last time I went by they had dozens of 747s, DC-10s, 777s, and just about every other type. The stack of engines waiting to ship out was stunning. They had to have hundreds of them sitting there wrapped up.

Victorville is interesting. They get the occasional Voyager bringing in an RAF crew for Reaper training. They've got a few dozen 747s, but I think Marana is bigger. They have GE and a Boeing facility at Victorville though.

Victorville seems to get white tails for storage. Marana has the former Evergreen fleet, including the super tanker. Of course it was owned by the CIA once so it makes sense for them to be there.
edit on 12/28/2017 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 09:57 PM
link   
I wonder if they powered up the radar and people were too close?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join