It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump's ambassador to Netherlands in 'fake news' blunder

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2017 @ 04:05 PM
link   
I couldn't make this stuff up if I tried.

Pete Hoekstra denied he had ever said there were "no-go zones" in the Netherlands, calling it "fake news".

But the Dutch journalist showed him a clip of the comments from 2015.

The Trump appointee then appeared to deny the "fake news" term he had used earlier in the interview.

The exchange left Wouter Zwart, US correspondent for Dutch broadcaster NOS, visibly confused in the short clip that has been widely shared on social media.

www.bbc.com...

Here's the video:

Let me just repeat the funniest part of this interview:

The Trump appointee then appeared to deny the "fake news" term he had used earlier in the interview.

Deer in headlights anyone?

I promise you this. This administration is going to leave such a mess behind that it's going to take years to clean up and restore confidence. What an absolute embarrassment.

The No Go Zones was debunked earlier in 2015 and many of those who pushed this claim have attempted to sweep it under the rug, denying any such support or wrong doing. It's all still up there though, on the internet. It's all still up here on this forum, the No Go Zone threads. I'm glad people are still out there calling out these liars.

posted on Dec, 22 2017 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Sounds like Trumps ambassador isn't oblivious to anti immigrant sentiment.

www.express.co.uk...

Then there snip like this.

Refugees in the Netherlands are housed in former prisons. The country’s crime rate has dropped drastically over the last several years, causing many correctional facilities to close down. The Central Agency for the Reception of Asylum Seekers (COA) decided to use these empty prisons as temporary housing for refugees. Before they are granted asylum status, refugees are normally stuck in temporary housing for at least six months.

borgenproject.org...

Housed in 'repurposed' prisons!

posted on Dec, 22 2017 @ 04:40 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

Sounds like Trumps ambassador isn't oblivious to anti immigrant sentiment

Did you actually read the OP and watch the video? The ambassador didn't deny 'anti-immigrant' sentiment. He denied making the 'No Go Zone' claim 2 years ago and was caught out in the video. He also contradicted himself later on. There's nothing further to that. He made no overall opinion on anti-immigrant sentiment.

Is this what you and others are going to continue to do on here? Glance over OPs and deflect for the duration of this administration?

posted on Dec, 22 2017 @ 04:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Southern Guardian

Did you not read this link ?

www.express.co.uk...

Sounds like a no go zone to me,

Who wants to be at ground zero during a protest?

posted on Dec, 22 2017 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Is this what you and others are going to continue to do on here? Glance over OPs and deflect for the duration of this administration?

Yes.

2nd.

posted on Dec, 22 2017 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Deny everything seems to be team Trump moto.

Then when busted deny that you denied it.

posted on Dec, 22 2017 @ 05:06 PM
link   

An ambassador got caught in a lie

The ambassador was appointed by Trump's WH

Trump admin sucks.

Is that about right?

posted on Dec, 22 2017 @ 05:23 PM
link   
I had to laugh so hard when i read it this morning.
Another reason to celebrate and support credible, intelligent Trump and "his credible, intelligent government"!
For us outside of LalaTrumpLand, with the Trump reign we have everyday something to laugh.
And we all know:

A day without laughter is a day wasted.

Charly Chaplin

So thanks for the laughter and happy winter solstice!

posted on Dec, 22 2017 @ 05:48 PM
link   
That's almost as good as, 'well I had to swear on the bible' a few weeks ago.

There's no such thing as 'no-go zones.' Hell, people try to claim that parts of Michigan are no-go zones.

posted on Dec, 22 2017 @ 06:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zarniwoop

An ambassador got caught in a lie

The ambassador was appointed by Trump's WH

Trump admin sucks.

Is that about right?

Yep , another nothing thread.
Ever said something YEARS ago and forgot you said it because you found out it was incorrect later?
Ever forgot just because you are a normal human and do not have an eiditic memory that can span years ? ( well , being a mod you may well fit that category)

posted on Dec, 22 2017 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Yessir, back in 2015 when Trump was president, he appointed...

Hey, wait a minute???

posted on Dec, 22 2017 @ 06:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

Ever said something YEARS ago and forgot you said it because you found out it was incorrect later?

or seconds ago?

Oh he's just very forgetful. Give him a break!

Also. How can you forget something that you said that you found was incorrect later on? That doesn't make any sense.

You guys are fun.

posted on Dec, 22 2017 @ 06:34 PM
link   
It's sad to see the trump admin struggling to fill positions with qualified and informed people. Then again it is just the ambassador to the netherlands so maybe that justifies lowering the bar.

As far as the anti immigration sentiments go I think you'll find the dutch to be very willing to help share the load aslong as the residents get involved in the proces and the demands are not disproportional. The COA tries to spread out the refugees across the country but when numbers increase this becomes difficult for a period. But the number of refugees are not what they where when this protest happend and not much protest has happend since then.
The end goal is to make sure the refugees have something to go back to. Leaving your country to go somewhere unknown where you don't speak the language is not lighthearted affair.

We dutch like to work things out, and if you don't like something just say it. Some find it confrontational, but if it's common ground you're looking for it can be very effective. But don't try to fool yourself or others by saying one thing and try to deny it the next minute. If he wanted to impres the dutch he should have said "Yes, I am concerned that all these refugees comming from africa are just looking for a hand out and maybe spread some terror. And if I have to use some hyperbolic examples to get the attention I'm looking for I'm going to do just that." Atleast then we know what he stands for.

Oh and btw compared to american prisons dutch prisons are like hotels. Ok maybe more like motels.

posted on Dec, 22 2017 @ 06:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Jubei42

It's sad to see the trump admin struggling to fill positions with qualified and informed people.

My alcoholic uncle could do a better job than this guy.

Seriously over the "struggling to fill positions" excuse. Plenty of willing and, reasonably, leveled people out there to choose from.

This guy is just a nutter that appealed to what this administration is looking for.

posted on Dec, 22 2017 @ 07:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Southern Guardian

or seconds ago?

Also. How can you forget something that you said that you found was incorrect later on? That doesn't make any sense.

You guys are fun.

So , you are above human level ?
A self-imposed idea of self ?
Or , what you feel others should be ?
Holding others to a standard you yourself don't meet because you are human ?

posted on Dec, 22 2017 @ 07:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog

or seconds ago?

You guys are fun.

So , you are above human level ?
A self-imposed idea of self ?
Or , what you feel others should be ?
Holding others to a standard you yourself don't meet because you are human ?

Just curious what any of that has to do with saying he didn't say the term "fake news" literally seconds after he said "fake news?" In the same interview? I mean if we're just gonna chalk this up to "he forgot what he said like everybody else does" then I can't help but wonder just how good an Ambassador he'll be if he can't remember what he's said in the middle of a conversation while still having that conversation.

And that's coming from somebody who doesn't really have a beef with this guy's appointment, nor do I think it's necessarily a reflection on Trump himself.

posted on Dec, 23 2017 @ 11:04 AM
link   

a reply to: neo96

I hope you’re not implying that their modus operandi here on ATS is going to change once Trump is out of the White House, because I almost positive that’s not gonna happen.

That ambassador is an embarrassment to the profession, but so are most of Trump’s appointees. And I would never attribute his behavior to forgetfulness, but rather to racial bias, dishonesty and absent mindedness.

How funny, if I’m not mistaken that’s the same criteria that Trump sees as qualifying traits when considering prospective appointees.

For some reason, the term “Birds of a feather” keeps coming to mind.

posted on Dec, 23 2017 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Well the best advice I got from the best man at my wedding was "DENY". Even if they have you on videotape DENY. Steve would have fit right n with these guys.

ETA: Now that I think about it:

edit on 23-12-2017 by intrepid because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2017 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Trump supporter here.

I think what is happening here is plain and simple.
This man is a liar.

No excuses.

He deserves to look like a fool.

Here a novel idea, tell the truth.

If you are wrong, admit it and try to do better.

But trying to dodge and deflect leads to situations just like this.

I am glad this guy got called out for his lie.

new topics

top topics

join